2008-9 Syracuse University Basketball Thread

bills44

Lots of people like Mizzou but I wasn’t impressed in their two games I saw vs. Kansas. They needed a miracle comeback to win at home and got destroyed in Lawrence. Maybe that’s just a bad matchup or whatever, but they’re another team that hasn’t done a lot away from their own building.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think their losing streak is a little overstated given that they’ve had to play three #1 seeds and two #3’s. @Pitt they got romped but @L’ville, Uconn, Nova, and Cuse were all very close games. I give them a decent shot vs. Mizzou but don’t see them beating Memphis.

Totally agree about the losing streak being overstated. Any team in the BE could have lost those 5 games. I just have trouble picking teams that enter the tournament below full strength. It's hard enough to advance when you got your starting 5. I think the odds of stringing together multiple wins decreases significantly when one of your veterans is out. I don't like UConn for the same reason.

Maybe it's just an overreaction on my part though...

Totally agree about the losing streak being overstated. Any team in the BE could have lost those 5 games. I just have trouble picking teams that enter the tournament below full strength. It's hard enough to advance when you got your starting 5. I think the odds of stringing together multiple wins decreases significantly when one of your veterans is out. I don't like UConn for the same reason.

Maybe it's just an overreaction on my part though...

You're right--both teams lose a lot with injury. But of all the BE teams, I like UConn the best to get to the Final Four, even without Dyson. Thabeet is a game-changer inside and has a real knack for staying out of foul trouble (probably because Calhoun works the refs so much). Contrast that with Blair. I guarantee you that Blair gets into foul trouble as some point and Pitt sinks because of it--to me, Pitt is a risky pick to win it all.

As for the Cuse, you have to love their draw.

You're right--both teams lose a lot with injury. But of all the BE teams, I like UConn the best to get to the Final Four, even without Dyson. Thabeet is a game-changer inside and has a real knack for staying out of foul trouble (probably because Calhoun works the refs so much). Contrast that with Blair. I guarantee you that Blair gets into foul trouble as some point and Pitt sinks because of it--to me, Pitt is a risky pick to win it all.

As for the Cuse, you have to love their draw.

Yah Blair in foul trouble means big trouble. I don't really see anyone in their region who can do that though. Maybe Duke if the refs fall for all of their flopping under the basket.

Ughh. Ugly win; Cuse looked and shot like crap in the second half. But still have to be glad they survived. If we play ASU or Temple in the next round, we're going to need to drain some 3's to win; both those teams will zone us.

Ugly win? They were up by 25 when CBS switched away to another game. I don't think you can fault a team for cruising a bit in the 2d half when they are clearly outclassing their opponent.

Ugly win? They were up by 25 when CBS switched away to another game. I don't think you can fault a team for cruising a bit in the 2d half when they are clearly outclassing their opponent.

Yeah, you're probably right.

By the way, I love UConn's chances in that region. Memphis is so overrated, it's absurd; I've got UConn winning the whole thing.

Doesn't hide the fact that our shooter, Rautins, went 0-6 from behind the arch. Flynn (0-3) and Devo (1-5) also were pretty cold from the 3.

Not worried though, a win when we're not playing our best is a good win any way you slice it. Now if they can dial it back in SU should be tough to beat.

There are still few things that concern me about Cuse though. Can they defend the against the 3 better? Do they have to rely on their guards to shoot the long ball to be successful even though they have two very capable big men underneath that can score easily as was showcased today?

Get the ball down below more. Give me more dribble penetration rather than trying to shoot low percentage shots off the dribble. Play smarter defense and execute with less turnovers and there may be another Final Four for Syracuse this year.

There are still few things that concern me about Cuse though. Can they defend the against the 3 better? Do they have to rely on their guards to shoot the long ball to be successful even though they have two very capable big men underneath that can score easily as was showcased today?

Get the ball down below more. Give me more dribble penetration rather than trying to shoot low percentage shots off the dribble. Play smarter defense and execute with less turnovers and there may be another Final Four for Syracuse this year.

I'm lovin' this Cuse team, but agree they need to do more, if they want to continue beyond next weekend. But, the Tar Heels are going to be very tough to beat, if Lawson is back, and healthy.

SU had success early getting the ball to their bigs down low. Looked like ASU started sagging down low, and basically challenged SU (mainly Devendorf and Rautins) to beat them from deep. ASU made their run during a stretch in which SU didn't hit anything from deep. When ASU got it down to 4, Rautins hit a three (and Devendorf hit 2 in a row) to effectively put the game out of reach.

I'm lovin' this Cuse team, but agree they need to do more, if they want to continue beyond next weekend. But, the Tar Heels are going to be very tough to beat, if Lawson is back, and healthy.

Devo I am sure will step on his toe.

Game, set match. :thumbsup:

SU had success early getting the ball to their bigs down low. Looked like ASU started sagging down low, and basically challenged SU (mainly Devendorf and Rautins) to beat them from deep. ASU made their run during a stretch in which SU didn't hit anything from deep. When ASU got it down to 4, Rautins hit a three (and Devendorf hit 2 in a row) to effectively put the game out of reach.

I was telling my brother yesterday that Boeheim draws up the screen for Rautins after every time out when they need a basket. Seems to work every time too.

They shot the ball at a rate that may not be sustainable going forward; but still an impressive game overall against a good team; or what I thought was a good team. I can't be sure now after watching UCLA and Washington.

do you really want them to defend against the 3 more when the opponent shoots 30 of them and doesnt make a third of them, and you maintain a double digit lead?

I was telling my brother yesterday that Boeheim draws up the screen for Rautins after every time out when they need a basket. Seems to work every time too.

They shot the ball at a rate that may not be sustainable going forward; but still an impressive game overall against a good team; or what I thought was a good team. I can't be sure now after watching UCLA and Washington.

Boy, the Pac-10 is looking like junior varsity out there.

I thought this Pendegraph was supposed to be a beast inside. We got whatever we wanted inside; the shooters were on from the outside; everything was on. Great game.

My early and biased prediction: Griffin won't be able to solve the zone, we'll limit his production, and win.

i don't share your optimism there...from my limited exposure to him, Blake Griffin seems like a unstoppable beast

My early and biased prediction: Griffin won't be able to solve the zone, we'll limit his production, and win.