Missing link on Defense?

Frez

The middle of the defensive line is non-existant.

No it isn't. Stroud has been playing well. I know everybody here measures a defensive lineman's season by sacks alone. Fact is, he's been great on the run and he consistently gets double teamed. If Stroud gets double teamed that means Kelsay and Denney consistently have one man to beat, and they never beat their man.

I don't know how you can blame it on the defensive line's interior...maybe it's just your reaction to seeing Kris Jenkins and instinctively comparing him to our guys?

No it isn't. Stroud has been playing well. I know everybody here measures a defensive lineman's season by sacks alone. Fact is, he's been great on the run and he consistently gets double teamed. If Stroud gets double teamed that means Kelsay and Denney consistently have one man to beat, and they never beat their man.

I don't know how you can blame it on the defensive line's interior...maybe it's just your reaction to seeing Kris Jenkins and instinctively comparing him to our guys?

No the observation comes from the Jets constantly running up the middle pretty much whenever they felt like it, and the perfect passing lanes the Bills gave Farve

Agree with Sage on Stroud. He's needs another guy next to him besides Williams though and we probably need TWO more DE's. Jenkins was regarded hands down the best DT in the game before his knees started blowing out and now healthy again I'd say he's now the best nose tackle in the NFL. GD Jets :angry:

A strong DT is what we're missing. Stroud has been good, but take a look at what Jenkins did yesterday. He was everywhere and he basically stopped our run game between the tackles by himself. Not only that, he got consistent pressure on Trent while doing so. I really believe that if you take him out of the lineup yesterday for the Jets, we have a much, much better chance of winning the game.

I think as a whole, our D is better than the Jets, but we're still lacking at key positions that make our D look very normal. For instance, on the TD run for the Jets up the middle, there was no push or pressure up the middle, the guard blew up Poz since he didn't have to double the DT (not sure if it was Stroud or Williams), and the back went in basically untouched. On a good defense, the LB's are filling holes, not taking on lineman.

On a side note, he was had for a 3rd & 5th this past offseason, same as Stroud. Stroud took over game 1 vs Seattle, but since then, he's been more of a role player than a gamechanging DT.

On a side note, he was had for a 3rd & 5th this past offseason, same as Stroud. Stroud took over game 1 vs Seattle, but since then, he's been more of a role player than a gamechanging DT.

Yeah I really was greedy and wanted the Bills to get both. I guess he didn't "fit our scheme." You know the one where our defense plays soft and gets pushed around.

Agree with Sage on Stroud. He's needs another guy next to him besides Williams though and we probably need TWO more DE's. Jenkins was regarded hands down the best DT in the game before his knees started blowing out and now healthy again I'd say he's now the best nose tackle in the NFL. GD Jets :rolleyes:

I agree, we need 2 DE's. If the DE position does not get addressed in the offseason, we will continue to have a lack of QB pressure next year.

No the observation comes from the Jets constantly running up the middle pretty much whenever they felt like it, and the perfect passing lanes the Bills gave Farve

Huh? The only RB who did anything yesterday was Thomas Jones, and of his 69 yards, 33 yards came on the final drive.

I honestly think things will be better when Schobel returns. Schobel is much better at a 1-on-1 matchup than Kelsay & Denney combined. The opposition can't double-team both Stroud & Schobel.

A strong DT is what we're missing. Stroud has been good, but take a look at what Jenkins did yesterday. He was everywhere and he basically stopped our run game between the tackles by himself. Not only that, he got consistent pressure on Trent while doing so. I really believe that if you take him out of the lineup yesterday for the Jets, we have a much, much better chance of winning the game.

I think stroud would look better than Jenkins if he was able to go against our o line all day. Williams and Johnson have been good, our DE's have been terrible. The only pressure we got yesterday came from our 3 DT's. I cannot remeber the last time a DE got enough pressure to even force a bad thrown...

- John Adams is spot on, as terrible as the D is, we did not let in many points. Our O alone gave them 10, and credit the D for forceing it to 10 and not 14 with the fieldgoal.

As bad as the D-line is, the defense is not the problem.

The O-line is the crux of losses right now. Not Trent. Not Lynch. Not the TE situation. Not sh------- Hardy. Not Reed's injury.

Which probably goes all the way back to Peters missing camp. Unbelievable. Thanks Jason.

I think as a whole, our D is better than the Jets, but we're still lacking at key positions that make our D look very normal. For instance, on the TD run for the Jets up the middle, there was no push or pressure up the middle, the guard blew up Poz since he didn't have to double the DT (not sure if it was Stroud or Williams), and the back went in basically untouched. On a good defense, the LB's are filling holes, not taking on lineman.

One think to keep in mind as far as those enamored by Jenkins' play against us yesterday remember his size. Although Stroud is a huge man, Jenkins easily ways at least 30 pounds more than Stroud does. It's also important to keep in mind that Jenkins was facing the weakest part (the interior) of our apparently inferior o. line. Meanwhile Stroud was facing the strongest part (the interior) of the Jets o.line. Mangold and Fanecca make a good o.line interior, Whittle and Preston (although he is improving) not so much. I think Stroud has been doing a good job overall. He can't take on all 5 o. lineman by himself. Stroud constantly gets doubled team and for the most part still holds his own against it. The rest of the d. line generally gets crushed and pushed several yards backwards. I like Kyle Williams because he does give a lot of effort and every once in a while he'll make a play (despite the fact that he doesn't have dominant talent), but he is very inconsistant. Besides an inconsistant Williams on the d. line Stroud has no sidekicks on the line to help him with the run. We need a huge space occupying d. tackle to put in alongside Stroud to help him in obvious short yardage situations. Even if that said d. tackle is not a starter but just a situational runstuffer we need that guy. Ofcoarse as usual when we have the opportunity to make a move we rarely do. I just saw on ESPN that the Saints just re-signed Hollis Thomas (a big runstuffer). He was released earlier by the Saints while he was recovering from an arm injury;it was said all along that the Saints had the intention to bring him back after he recovered (that's why they didn't put him on the IR because then he would have to stay out for the year). We could have made an offer to get him just as the Saints made an offer to get him back, he was a free agent.

Ashton Youboty?

Remember Ashton making all those sweet plays on defense the first few weeks? I think he is missed more than we realize it.

I think it's a combination of Youboty and Schobel...But yes we miss Youboty...He was becoming a heck of a good Player before he got hurt... :wallbash: