Recession

Chef Jim

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right because there was Wall Street was squeeky clean during the early part of the 20th century. :lol:

I think history's obsolete, too.

Everything's obsolete with the advent of the Mr. Mortgage podcast. It's the new New Economy, baby!

Yep and my parents get a couple thousand dollars in dividends to help their retirement

There have been a couple "Wingnut" responses to my reply, but Nozzlnut has been conspicuously silent

What say Nozzlenuts?

Get nozzelnut some credit. She's smart enough to know when she sounds like a moron and has no idea what she's talking about (which is most of the time). Thus her ever more shallow posts usually come in hit and run style.

Wow!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...refer=worldwide

Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. auto sales plummeted 32 percent in October to the lowest monthly total since January 1991, led by General Motors Corp.'s 45 percent slide, as reduced access to loans and a weaker economy kept consumers off dealer lots.

Ford Motor Co. reported a 30 percent drop in car and light- truck sales from a year earlier and Toyota Motor Corp.'s declined 23 percent. Honda Motor Co.'s slid 25 percent, Nissan Motor Co.'s were down 33 percent and Chrysler LLC's fell 35 percent.

``If you adjust for population growth, it's the worst sales month in the post-World War II era'' for the industry, said Mike DiGiovanni, GM's chief sales analyst, on a conference call. ``Clearly we're in a dire situation.''

Industrywide U.S. auto sales fell for the 12th straight month, extending the longest slide in 17 years. Tight credit, falling consumer confidence and the weakening economy, the same forces that suppressed buying in September, hurt automakers again last month.

October total sales dropped to 838,156 from 1.23 million, according to Autodata Corp. The last time light-vehicle sales were lower was 822,200 in January 1991, according to Autodata.

American cars suck, what's your point? There are tons of cars on the freeways in CA and very few are American. I don't even know what American cars look like anymore.

A domino effect will be felt by 10's of thousands of people. Hundreds of dealerships will close, many people will lose their jobs. I suspect numerous American name plates will disappear. Greed wasn't good for the American auto makers. They should of re-tooled, they didnt. They're fault. Bye Bye.

A serious question.Why do people want to give more money to the Govt. in the form of taxes on anyone. Now I know the old tax the rich theory but if a business get taxed more wont they just pass it along to the consumer. Or the rich guy that pays more in taxes ,so he cuts back on buying a few things , doesnt make sense to me.Other than the military why pay more? If they tax gas more will not that raise the price of gas?

A serious question.Why do people want to give more money to the Govt. in the form of taxes on anyone. Now I know the old tax the rich theory but if a business get taxed more wont they just pass it along to the consumer. Or the rich guy that pays more in taxes ,so he cuts back on buying a few things , doesnt make sense to me.Other than the military why pay more? If they tax gas more will not that raise the price of gas?

It really is beyond you, seriously

A domino effect will be felt by 10's of thousands of people. Hundreds of dealerships will close, many people will lose their jobs. I suspect numerous American name plates will disappear. Greed wasn't good for the American auto makers. They should of re-tooled, they didnt. They're fault. Bye Bye.

That, or the fact that unlike the competition, they pay out pensions and health care money to millions of former workers and their families, and have to on a daily basis deal with union bullsh*t...

I view taxes as paying our share towards the public good and maintaining our way of life. Our infrastructure, payed over the years through taxes, is a major factor in contributing to our ablity to deliver goods, work a distance away from our homes, and to travel. I don't want every road in the country to be a toll road. I also don't buy into the belief some have that the majority of people on public assistance or welfare prefer that way of life, but are there because of some unfortunate circumstances. Sure there's people that take advantage of the system, but I'd rather have that than the alternative of not helping those that really need it. Our society should have a public safety net. And the cost of public education should be shared by all. Sure it needs to be improved, and I think people that rent should pay some also, not just homeowners, but to not pay towards public education would result in a whole class of people who couldn't afford education and would never have a chance to compete. Those are some of my reasons why I don't mind paying taxes, and paying more as I make more, whether it be as a citizen, stockholder, or business owner.

Thats one part of the problem.

Another is that bankruptcies soared 40% in October. Also, household credit card debt is soaring.. The 2nd largest vendor for credit card payments...McDonalds....

Don't forget about the massive layoffs coming, and the ancillary jobs that will be laid off as well. That strains the city/state coffers making that situation worse.

Finally, consumers are starting to skip the utility bill?

We are barely into the second quarter (in football terms) here, and things will get much, much worse before they get better. Thats what President Obama will have to figure a way through, while not completely capping future US growth potential beyond 2010.

I view taxes as paying our share towards the public good and maintaining our way of life. Our infrastructure, payed over the years through taxes, is a major factor in contributing to our ablity to deliver goods, work a distance away from our homes, and to travel. I don't want every road in the country to be a toll road. I also don't buy into the belief some have that the majority of people on public assistance or welfare prefer that way of life, but are there because of some unfortunate circumstances. Sure there's people that take advantage of the system, but I'd rather have that than the alternative of not helping those that really need it. Our society should have a public safety net. And the cost of public education should be shared by all. Sure it needs to be improved, and I think people that rent should pay some also, not just homeowners, but to not pay towards public education would result in a whole class of people who couldn't afford education and would never have a chance to compete. Those are some of my reasons why I don't mind paying taxes, and paying more as I make more, whether it be as a citizen, stockholder, or business owner.

i agree with your points , the renters claim they are paying taxes , though thier rent As far as taxing business and gas it is ultimatley is paid by the comsumer and really not the business , as they just pass it along as higher prices. I am also in favor of school vouchers and all pay the school tax not just the home owner , if he wants to spread the wealth then srpead the bill.

Property taxes are baked into rents.

Rental property is a business endeavor. Taxes, depreciation, school taxes, upkeep, are deductible at all levels of government, partially or wholly.

A renter seldom sees a rent increase based solely on increased taxation. An individual homeowner most assuredly does feel the bite - and their ability to deduct same is much less than a business.

Apples and oranges...

Rental property is a business endeavor. Taxes, depreciation, school taxes, upkeep, are deductible at all levels of government, partially or wholly.

A renter seldom sees a rent increase based solely on increased taxation. An individual homeowner most assuredly does feel the bite - and their ability to deduct same is much less than a business.

Apples and oranges...

Heres one for you , there was a bill this year that passed that allowed a 1000 deduction for property tax for those that do not itemize , effective 2008. The bailout bill that was rejected was passed when it was attached to this bill , guess what they made ithe deduction effective 2009 so much for the people take care of them corrupt politicians a CEO's