Losman

I have a real problem with the Bills keeping J.P. Losman around after he clearly stated that "Its tough to prepare and get motivated to play" when he knows he's #2 on the depth chart. Do we really want a guy that has that mindset??? Yeah, he can be efficient, but he's not going to win us games on the last drive or control a game like Trent. This is the first time in years when I watch a game I'm not nervous and waiting for something bad to happen when the offense trots onto the field.

"Tough to get motivated"??? He knows he's not gonna play in Buffalo next year, but the guy should show that he is willing to prepare adequetly even though he is the #2, because he's a "PROFESSIONAL" athelete. With that attitude, he may be playing arena football next year. I say we should've traded him to K.C. or Detroit who need a QB for some draft picks and promoted Hamdan to the backup spot and resigned Craig Nall or someone else. If Trent goes down this year for even a few weeks, we are in trouble. Even against teams like K.C. and San Francisco, I'm not comfortable with Losman as the QB.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't say he's NOT preparing, he's saying that it's difficult to get motivated to do so.

I completely understand. Wouldn't it be hard for you to motivate yourself to do a job, knowing that there's a 95% chance that you won't actually have to do anything?

He didn't say he's NOT preparing, he's saying that it's difficult to get motivated to do so.

I completely understand. Wouldn't it be hard for you to motivate yourself to do a job, knowing that there's a 95% chance that you won't actually have to do anything?

Professionals are always ready to do their business. If you have a hang up being a professional, there are other jobs that pay substantially less.

yeah yeah yeah... here, i'll parse these cookie cutter responses for easier cutting and pasting:

JP Losman _____ (insert cut and paste here)

"doesnt make the team better like trent edwards"

"scores too fast, not letting the defense rest like trent edwards"

"doesnt have poise"

"is a waste of draft picks"

"isn't as accurate as trent edwards"

"doesnt have long, time consuming drives"

fact of the matter is, he came into the AZ game and didn't do halfway bad. so you're saying hamdan or nall could have done better? losman is also gone next year - who are you going to complain about next?

Did Steve Young prepare (Montana)...how about Tom Brady (Bledsoe)........Tony Romo (Bledsoe).............Frank Reich (Kelly; 1993 Playoff game).....Kurt Warner (Trent Green)

Results for those guys:

Steve Young-went on to win SB XXIX

Tom Brady-won a SuperBowl that same year Bledsoe went down, then went on to win two more. He was originally 4th on depth chart. (Talk about a more than 95% chance of NOT playing). Probably best QB ever!

Tony Romo-Lead one of the NFL's most explosive passing attacks when Bledsoe got benched, and still does when healthy.

Frank Reich- Kelly got hurt at Houston on the final week of the regular season that year, all Reich did was lead them in "The Comeback" against the Oilers, then destroyed the Steelers in the divisional round, en-route to third SB appearance.

Kurt Warner- Former arena league QB, leads the 'greatest show on turf to SB XXXIV victory.

Bottom line...Losman's attitude sucks and if he's auditioning for other teams with that attitude, combined with his play over the last few years, almost NOBODY will want him.

awesome, out of the hundreds of backup quarterbacks who got thrust into game situations, you pick a hall of famer, a future hall-of-famer, 2 pro bowlers, and possibly the greatest backup QB ever. nice selective choosing.

Did Steve Young prepare (Montana)...how about Tom Brady (Bledsoe)........Tony Romo (Bledsoe).............Frank Reich (Kelly; 1993 Playoff game).....Kurt Warner (Trent Green)

Results for those guys:

Tom Brady-won a SuperBowl that same year Bledsoe went down, then went on to win two more. He was originally 4th on depth chart. (Talk about a more than 95% chance of NOT playing). Probably best QB ever!

Tony Romo-Lead one of the NFL's most explosive passing attacks when Bledsoe got benched, and still does when healthy.

Frank Reich- Kelly got hurt at Houston on the final week of the regular season that year, all Reich did was lead them in "The Comeback" against the Oilers, then destroyed the Steelers in the divisional round, en-route to third SB appearance.

Kurt Warner- Former arena league QB, leads the 'greatest show on turf to SB XXXIV victory.

Bottom line...Losman's attitude sucks and if he's auditioning for other teams with that attitude, combined with his play over the last few years, almost NOBODY will want him.

You know what pal? You seem overly motivated about your status as a message board member. Why don't you take a step back and stop posting for a while, read what other people have to say, then come back to this thread and realzie what a mistake it has been. The only thing you've established thus far is that JP Losman is not Tom Brady or "Frank Reich".

I could really give a python's a$$ about this subject, but the QBs you've mentioned all have one thing in common...they were the back-up QB. They were not the demoted former starter & yes, I would expect them to approach the game a bit differently.

BTW, for the sake of clarity, these were his comments after the AZ game:

I just try to mentally prepare every game like I’m going to go in,” said Losman, who completed 15 of 21 passes for 220 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Today I was put to that test, and quite early, too, which was unexpected. That’s my job right now.

It’s a great stepping stone for me personally to learn how it is, to get in there quite early and try to keep everything under control and try to lead the guys down the field.

It’s tough, but I’m not thinking about that when I go on the field, Losman said of entering the game after Edwards got hurt. It’s like here’s my chance, it’s an opportunity for me to show my teammates that I do prepare myself. Not just that, we’re trying to win a ball-game. That is all that is on my mind at the time.

I can understand your concern.

JP is no diamond in the rough, he's been out there for us and has shown little growth whatsoever. The game is bigger than his mind can handle, he has the body for it but not the right mindset.

Do you think that when Kurt Warner first stepped on the field for ST. Louis back then that they knew he would be that good?? JP had plenty of time to get better and he played like he didn't get it. He still doesn't get it, nor will he ever get it.

Professionals are always ready to do their business. If you have a hang up being a professional, there are other jobs that pay substantially less.

Not preparing and having difficulty staying motivated are two entirely different things.

Maybe you had trouble reading my first response, but nowhere did he say "I'm not preparing!" He simply said, "It's difficult to prepare." You're lying to yourself if you don't think you'd have difficulty staying upbeat and motivated in the same situation.

You know what pal? You seem overly motivated about your status as a message board member. Why don't you take a step back and stop posting for a while, read what other people have to say, then come back to this thread and realzie what a mistake it has been. The only thing you've established thus far is that JP Losman is not Tom Brady or "Frank Reich".

:lol: :lol:

I have a real problem with the Bills keeping J.P. Losman around after he clearly stated that "Its tough to prepare and get motivated to play" when he knows he's #2 on the depth chart. Do we really want a guy that has that mindset??? Yeah, he can be efficient, but he's not going to win us games on the last drive or control a game like Trent. This is the first time in years when I watch a game I'm not nervous and waiting for something bad to happen when the offense trots onto the field.

"Tough to get motivated"??? He knows he's not gonna play in Buffalo next year, but the guy should show that he is willing to prepare adequetly even though he is the #2, because he's a "PROFESSIONAL" athelete. With that attitude, he may be playing arena football next year. I say we should've traded him to K.C. or Detroit who need a QB for some draft picks and promoted Hamdan to the backup spot and resigned Craig Nall or someone else. If Trent goes down this year for even a few weeks, we are in trouble. Even against teams like K.C. and San Francisco, I'm not comfortable with Losman as the QB.

Dont mess with the Zohan ! Like most BACKUP QBs, Scrapy Cocco really dosen't get to many first team looks during the weak !

JP is no diamond in the rough, he's been out there for us and has shown little growth whatsoever. The game is bigger than his mind can handle, he has the body for it but not the right mindset.

Really? I've never heard that before. Well put. While you're on break from making poetic and breakthrough statements like the one you've just made, can you do us all a favor and change your avatar?

So you're okay having a backup who's one play away from coming in and leading us to a NINTH consecutive year of missing the playoffs because of his piss-poor play, and worse, piss-poor attitude. And dont give me the Arizona game excuse, PLEASE! J.P. Losman has played more than just that one game. He lost his job because he was just plain NOT GOOD ENOUGH! He's too jittery, makes bad decisions, and turns the ball over. Losman had his chance and he blew it, he's lucky he's even employed at this juncture. All I'm saying, there's been guys over the years when they weren't the right fit somewhere, and went on to be successful elsewhere (See Kerry Collins; Trent Dilfer)...PAL!

Not preparing and having difficulty staying motivated are two entirely different things.

Maybe you had trouble reading my first response, but nowhere did he say "I'm not preparing!" He simply said, "It's difficult to prepare." You're lying to yourself if you don't think you'd have difficulty staying upbeat and motivated in the same situation.

:lol: :lol:

Dead nuts accurate. Plenty of times in school i found it extremely difficult to study for a test, or was highly unmotivated to prepare for an exam. That didn't mean i didn't prepare or wasn't ready.

So you're okay having a backup who's one play away from coming in and leading us to a NINTH consecutive year of missing the playoffs because of his piss-poor play, and worse, piss-poor attitude. And dont give me the Arizona game excuse, PLEASE! J.P. Losman has played more than just that one game. He lost his job because he was just plain NOT GOOD ENOUGH! He's too jittery, makes bad decisions, and turns the ball over. Losman had his chance and he blew it, he's lucky he's even employed at this juncture. All I'm saying, there's been guys over the years when they weren't the right fit somewhere, and went on to be successful elsewhere (See Kerry Collins; Trent Dilfer)...PAL!

Read the quotes I posted. Which words are you having trouble with? You've taken what you think he said and twisted it around in your brain for a couple weeks and now you have no idea of the facts. Please, stop posting and do yourself a favor...delete this thread so that your children can never see it.

He's too jittery, makes bad decisions, and turns the ball over.

I find it odd that you're picking the week after Trent Edwards' worst career performance to make fun of JP in that way.

I think you're a few steps close to the edge. We have a great young starting QB, and we have a talented and quite capable back-up quarterback. Next time you're analyzing all that is wrong with JP Losman you should take a gander at a few 2006 games, perhaps the one against the Jags, or the one in Houston, or the one in Indianapolis (we lost that one, but he "managed" the game to get us a defensive stop away from beating the future superbowl champs of that year).

I would agree that JP is probably not fit to be a starter in a Bills uniform. I wish him well wherever he goes next year. But I refuse to let you worry about his status as our backup. He is fine. You're just looking for another horrible excuse to crap on someone who is infinitely more successful than you will ever be.

I don't know, did all these people prepare in games where they were the back up just in case they came in?? Do you personaly know they did prepare better than JP did in games that they never played in?? You mention Kelly getting hurt in 93. Well he got hurt in last regular season game and Reich came in and finished the game. 93 was along time ago, but from what I recall of that last regular season game, he did even less than JP did. There's a big difference between preparing each week on the small chance you may get to play as the backup, vs knowing, OK the starting QB got hurt in todays game. So now all week I need to get ready to start next game as I'm now #1. Do NFL teams help the backup stay motivated?? Well from everything you hear and read, the back up gets very little action all week with the first string, so it doesn't appear they help the situation much.

Personally I think JP played very well as a backup. Name me 32 better back up QB's than JP? More importantly, name me a free agent QB that the Bills could pick up today that's definitely better than JP? The problem is, with a few exceptions, JP hasn't played much better as a starter when he had chances than he did in that game as a backup. The people who feel JP is going to a new team next year and become a starter and a star again, I think will be in for a sad and disapointing season.

And BTW, I am in no way a JP supporter. I'm happy with TE being the starter, but also just try to be fair on negative side.

Results for those guys:

minor correction. He said that it was difficult to get motivated after he came in to play in Arizona. Has he said that since then? Do we have any reason to believe that he was still having problems getting motivated after that game? Short of people wanting to believe the worst, there's no reason to think that he's being anything less than professional

Results for those guys:

Two years after Montana left for Kansas City, and TEN years after Young first started a game for the USFL's L.A. Express.

Bledsoe went out in the second game of that season. Took Brady until his third start to finally throw his first NFL touchdown pass.

In 2006, the Cowboys were 3-3 when Romo was inserted into the starting lineup, and went 6-4 the rest of the way. Remarkable turnaround. And in Romo's only significant playing time as a backup that season, he threw 3 INTs in a loss to the Giants. Cowboys were down 12-7 at the half, and ended up losing that game by two touchdowns.

Reich started those two games, correct? Spent the week taking the first-team snaps, in other words?

Trent Green was injured in a preseason game, making Warner the opening-day starter.

So, none of the examples you mention involved someone trying to come of the bench during a game, after getting the (sparse) backup QB's reps during that week's practices. You may want to choose some different ones ...

So, none of the examples you mention involved someone trying to come of the bench during a game, after getting the (sparse) backup QB's reps during that week's practices. You may want to choose some different ones ...

Wow. Owned.