Newflash: Polls are tightening

Zogby has it down to 4 points (as of Tuesday), Battleground and IBD/TIPP has it down to 3, Rasmussen has it down to 5..And before anyone says look at the state polls - I want to remind everyone that state polls take a little time to tighten after national trends...I'd say look on Friday....

I am not saying McCain will win but iw will be closer than some think!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zogby has it down to 4 points (as of Tuesday), Battleground and IBD/TIPP has it down to 3, Rasmussen has it down to 5..And before anyone says look at the state polls - I want to remind everyone that state polls take a little time to tighten after national trends...I'd say look on Friday....

I think it's going to be a lot more interesting than people think.

Rasmussen has been between 4-8 for over a month straight, and Obama has never gone below 50 one day in that time. It was 4 last week at this time and is 5 now. Zogby has been all over the board, jumping from 4-8-12-8-4 in a matter of a week. That is completely unreliable, not to mention that it uses metrics no one else is using.

The average of all polls is 7-8 points and has been for quite some time. And the states are far, far worse for McCain. Here is a decent explanation of what has been happening from someone who seems to have the pulse of these things...

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/tod...polls-1027.html

If the race was really tightening you'd see some movement on Intrade yet Obama still gained .5 today while McCain lost .5. The media likes to throw McCain bones every time a poll has him within 5 so that they won't be accused of trying to demoralize Republicans to the point that it effects their turnout. This race is over and will be called before 9pm when Obama wins Pennsylvania and Virginia.

If the race was really tightening you'd see some movement on Intrade yet Obama still gained .5 today while McCain lost .5. The media likes to throw McCain bones every time a poll has him within 5 so that they won't be accused of trying to demoralize Republicans to the point that it effects their turnout. This race is over and will be called before 9pm when Obama wins Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Not exactly true. Political science studies of polls vs the market predictions indicate that the market predictions actually lag behind and follow the polling trends, not the other way around.

Not exactly true. Political science studies of polls vs the market predictions indicate that the market predictions actually lag behind and follow the polling trends, not the other way around.

Not Intrade. In 2004 Kerry/Bush contracts swung wildly in real time as the exit polls came out. This is a good read of how Intrade was pretty accurate in 2004, except for when the exit polls leaked.

You follow this stuff, and polling pretty close, and I think you know what you're talking about. I would be surprised if you thought there were even a decent chance that McCain can catch him in the Electoral College. PA is gone, and VA and CO are almost gone.

Not Intrade. In 2004 Kerry/Bush contracts swung wildly in real time as the exit polls came out. This is a good read of how Intrade was pretty accurate in 2004, except for when the exit polls leaked.

I'll have to read it later (sadly, need sleep for work tomorrow), but the fact that Intrade reacted to exit polls is an example of what I said. That being said, I'll have to look into intrade as I don't know the specifics of intrade versus typical market prediction systems (and I acknowledge that it could be that fastly reacting).

You follow this stuff, and polling pretty close, and I think you know what you're talking about. I would be surprised if you thought there were even a decent chance that McCain can catch him in the Electoral College. PA is gone, and VA and CO are almost gone.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that it's going to be a blowout. My opinion's slowly shifted from a solid Obama win (with a small chance of McCain coming back) to a blowout barring a crisis. I think you'll see the race tighten up a little in some states (because while Obama's ground game is good, I'm not sure the Dem's first well organized ground game in forever can compete with the Republican's), but I'm not sure its going to make an overall difference in any of those states (and thus steal electoral votes), leading to the blowout.

Hardly anyone is denying that there is serious back-stabbing and finger-pointing and resume floating amongst McCain and Palin campaigners. That is the very best indication that it's all but over. Even they know, and have somewhat given up. They will publicly fight to the end, and it's possible something unforeseen could happen. But it is all in the never say never category. My only worry is a little complacency of the Dems, thinking it's over so they don't have to vote.

I really don't see any possible electoral path McCain can take to hit 270. If Obama carries every Kerry state then all he needs to add is Iowa, New Mexico, and Colorado to get 273. Winning Virgina, Ohio, Missouri, Florida, Nevada, or North Carolina would be a bonus.

I'll have to read it later (sadly, need sleep for work tomorrow), but the fact that Intrade reacted to exit polls is an example of what I said. That being said, I'll have to look into intrade as I don't know the specifics of intrade versus typical market prediction systems (and I acknowledge that it could be that fastly reacting).

It's pretty interesting. Around the Republican Convention McCain was actually trading in the high 50's, low 60's and Obama was in the high 30's, low 40's. You could have made a hell of alot of money off shorting McCain at 60 and buying him back this week at about 12.

• Well, right now 11, 000 Colorado voters are awaiting "missing" absentee ballots.
  • Anoter 16,000 Colorado voters were illegally purged by their secretary of state (law suit pending).
  • And 200, 000 voters in Ohio don't have registration data that matches national data bases PRECISELY, thus inhibiting THEIR ability to vote- case currently being pursued by the Federal Government.

If everyone who is legally permitted to andwanted to vote votes, and their vote is correctly counted, then McCain doesn't stand a chance. Alas...

huh? who says?