My thoughts on Bledsoe and the Bills

There's a lot of emotion on the board tonight as there usually is after a loss. Unfortunately we've been in this situation much to often this year and I'm confident that most are like me and couldn't imagine this season being the nightmare that it has become.

With that said, there's some very insightful stuff on the Wall tonight and there's some absolute drivel. Most of it, as expected, centers around the play of Drew. It's very difficult for some and not so for others to try to admit that there clearly is a problem at the QB position. Drew's defenders point to the inadequacies of the offensive line, his detractors just point to his stats. It's my opinion that neither side is completely right and neither side is completely wrong. Our offensive line is bad, just how bad is sometimes difficult to judge. What is apparent is that the play coming from the QB position is equally inept or possibly worse.

Bledsoe still has enough raw physical talent to throw the ball downfield and complete a lot of passes. The crutch is that he needs an inordinate amout of time to do so. He can't move well and he throws even worse when he's trying to move, often making a poor decision or throwing off his back foot. What Bledsoe can't do is elevate the play of those around him. Some guys have it and some don't, you've all seen them. There are athletes who by their very nature make everyone around them play that much better. The limitations imposed by Drew's lack of athleticism affect not only the players around him but the playcalling and the entire offense. His inadequacies are turning into a gigantic skill vacuum. There's more to being a leader than being the veteran. If you don't want to agree with me you don't have to, just ask yourself this simple question. When was the last time you saw Drew make a play out of nothing?

It's time to see what the future holds and time to wave goodbye to our current QB. Bledsoe is a superb team guy, a warrior and an individual of tremendous character. None of those traits make him deserving of the starting QB position anymore.

Sometimes moving on is just hard. If the Bills don't make a decision that it's time to move on the fans will show them the error of their ways in the sales office.

Guest Guest_Millhouse_*

lurker here

With Bledsoe, he could be successful if he had the protection to just sit there all day and gun the ball downfield. But how many NFL qbs wouldn't be successful behind a line that was so good that Bledsoe could thrive? Have to get a guy who can make the best of a bad situation, and if the situation improves, so will he. And probably for less money than Drew

Donahoe has been a complete failure. When it comes to GMs, it's ok to have the benefit of hindsight. Bledsoe - thought it was a good idea at the time. Failed. Mike Williams - failed. As much promise as McGahee has, people make the mistake of thinking that his improving play justifies the pick. You have to consider opportunity cost. One year was already down the tubes. Whatever McGahee gives us isn't going to be a huge improvement over Henry because Henry's good. And you also have to take into account how other teams are able to succeed with no name RBs that don't cost much (like Denver)

It's amazing that this team might go 3-13 like they did a few years ago and not have a high pick to show for it. Donohoe's arrogant keister needs to get run out of town asap.

Great post mike...i wouldnt call myself a bledsoe-basher, but i tihnk he needs to go...i have nothing against him personally, but his football skills have obviously declined, and i simply dont think he can get it done anymore...as you put it, sometimes its just time to move on...

what we have here is similar to a relationship that is going nowhere because everyone is afraid to not be in it anymore...as much as it will hurt, and as much i will hate to see Drew the person go, from a football its time to start saying some good-byes, and thanks for the memories Drew...

*sniff* We'll always have the first half of 2002 *sniff* :lol: (sheds tear) :doh:

Mike, excellent post. I've been a fan for over 20 years. Its so painful to watch this weekly comedy of errors. The teams I remembered in the mid-80's (yeah the 2-14 ones) played with heart. They had no talent but they played and the games were interesting. This team has so much talent but is heartless. They'll be winning in the 4th quarter and I'll look at my wife and say, just wait they'll find a way to blow it. They do, my Sunday is ruined. I live in a beautiful house, two great kids and a really hot wife. It sucks when they lose. I need a day to decompress. Drew Bledsoe is ruining my marriage and relationship with my kids.

On a serious note, its time for Drew to step down. He's a classy guy, but he's got to see how much his horrible play is killing this team. I have never rooted for a Bills player to perform like Drew. But its time to move on.

lurker here

With Bledsoe, he could be successful if he had the protection to just sit there all day and gun the ball downfield.  But how many NFL qbs wouldn't be successful behind a line that was so good that Bledsoe could thrive?  Have to get a guy who can make the best of a bad situation, and if the situation improves, so will he.  And probably for less money than Drew

Donahoe has been a complete failure.  When it comes to GMs, it's ok to have the benefit of hindsight.  Bledsoe - thought it was a good idea at the time.  Failed.  Mike Williams - failed.  As much promise as McGahee has, people make the mistake of thinking that his improving play justifies the pick.  You have to consider opportunity cost.  One year was already down the tubes.  Whatever McGahee gives us isn't going to be a huge improvement over Henry because Henry's good.  And you also have to take into account how other teams are able to succeed with no name RBs that don't cost much (like Denver)

It's amazing that this team might go 3-13 like they did a few years ago and not have a high pick to show for it.  Donohoe's arrogant keister needs to get run out of town asap.

83787[/snapback]

That pick that we "don't have" next year is JP Losman, with a year in the system under our coaches, as opposed to some rookie QB fresh out of college.

There's a lot of emotion on the board tonight as there usually is after a loss.  Unfortunately we've been in this situation much to often this year and I'm confident that most are like me and couldn't imagine this season being the nightmare that it has become.

With that said, there's some very insightful stuff on the Wall tonight and there's some absolute drivel.  Most of it, as expected, centers around the play of Drew.  It's very difficult for some and not so for others to try to admit that there clearly is a problem at the QB position.  Drew's defenders point to the inadequacies of the offensive line, his detractors just point to his stats.  It's my opinion that neither side is completely right and neither side is completely wrong.  Our offensive line is bad, how bad is sometimes difficult to judge.  The play coming from the QB position is equally inept or possibly worse.

Bledsoe still has enough raw physical talent to throw the ball downfield and complete a lot of passes.  The crutch is that he needs an inordinate amout of time to do so.  He can't move well and he throws even worse when he's trying to move, often making a poor decision or throwing off his back foot.  What Bledsoe can't do is elevate the play of those around him.  Some guys have it and some don't, you've all seen them.  There are athletes who by their very nature make everyone around them play that much better.  The limitations imposed by Drew's lack of athleticism affect not only the players around him but the playcalling and the entire offense.  His inadequacies are turning into a gigantic skill vacuum.  There's more to being a leader than being the veteran.  If you don't want to agree with me you don't have to, just ask yourself this simple question.  When was the last time you saw Drew make a play out of nothing?

It's time to see what the future holds and time to wave goodbye to our current QB.  Bledsoe is a superb team guy, a warrior and an individual of tremendous character.  None of those traits make him deserving of the starting QB position anymore. 

Sometimes moving on is just hard.  If the Bills don't make a decision that it's time to move on the fans will show them the error of their ways in the sales office.

83777[/snapback]

Great Post Mike...

It is what it is Folks...The Records speaks for itself now...And it is not pretty... :doh:

lurker here

With Bledsoe, he could be successful if he had the protection to just sit there all day and gun the ball downfield.  But how many NFL qbs wouldn't be successful behind a line that was so good that Bledsoe could thrive?  Have to get a guy who can make the best of a bad situation, and if the situation improves, so will he.  And probably for less money than Drew

Donahoe has been a complete failure.  When it comes to GMs, it's ok to have the benefit of hindsight.  Bledsoe - thought it was a good idea at the time.  Failed.  Mike Williams - failed.  As much promise as McGahee has, people make the mistake of thinking that his improving play justifies the pick.  You have to consider opportunity cost.  One year was already down the tubes.  Whatever McGahee gives us isn't going to be a huge improvement over Henry because Henry's good.  And you also have to take into account how other teams are able to succeed with no name RBs that don't cost much (like Denver)

It's amazing that this team might go 3-13 like they did a few years ago and not have a high pick to show for it.  Donohoe's arrogant keister needs to get run out of town asap.

83787[/snapback]

Donahoe hasn't been a complete failure but it appears that he's trying to get there. His biggest failure to date has been his inability to protect his project. He brought Bledsoe here to play QB and in doing so may have saved the franchise. His failing is in providing an OL and scheme to protect his assett. That was a huge error on his part.

If JP is the second coming of Kelly, all will be forgiven and forgotten.

Guest Guest_firewall_*

you're crazy, those 2 and 14 teams were horrible and repeatedly ran for the bus. this team has a good defense and some talent on offense....those teams were atrocious. Bledsoe isn't going anywhere this year so just stop with it. Losman may come in late in season when expectations are low but that's about it. the bills will beat the cards, jets and rams in the next three weeks, bringing us to 4 and 5. Drew won't play great but the d will play well and we will make enough plays on O to win. We will get excited and then we will go on the road and drew will lay another egg and we will freak out again. JP will get a shot in game 15 or so, play suprisingly well, and we will talk for months on this board about how great: "the JP Era will be."

Guest buffalosteve
you're crazy, those 2 and 14 teams were horrible and repeatedly ran for the bus. this team has a good defense and some talent on offense....those teams were atrocious. Bledsoe isn't going anywhere this year so just stop with it.  Losman may come in late in season when expectations are low but that's about it. the bills will beat the cards, jets and rams in the next three weeks, bringing us to 4 and 5. Drew won't play great but the d will play well and we will make enough plays on O to win. We will get excited and then we will go on the road and drew will lay another egg and we will freak out again. JP will get a shot in game 15 or so, play suprisingly well, and we will talk for months on this board about how great: "the JP Era will be."

83822[/snapback]

Is this Mike Mularkey?

There's a lot of emotion on the board tonight as there usually is after a loss.  Unfortunately we've been in this situation much to often this year and I'm confident that most are like me and couldn't imagine this season being the nightmare that it has become.

With that said, there's some very insightful stuff on the Wall tonight and there's some absolute drivel.  Most of it, as expected, centers around the play of Drew.  It's very difficult for some and not so for others to try to admit that there clearly is a problem at the QB position.  Drew's defenders point to the inadequacies of the offensive line, his detractors just point to his stats.  It's my opinion that neither side is completely right and neither side is completely wrong.  Our offensive line is bad, just how bad is sometimes difficult to judge.  What is apparent is that the play coming from the QB position is equally inept or possibly worse.

Bledsoe still has enough raw physical talent to throw the ball downfield and complete a lot of passes.  The crutch is that he needs an inordinate amout of time to do so.  He can't move well and he throws even worse when he's trying to move, often making a poor decision or throwing off his back foot.  What Bledsoe can't do is elevate the play of those around him.  Some guys have it and some don't, you've all seen them.  There are athletes who by their very nature make everyone around them play that much better.  The limitations imposed by Drew's lack of athleticism affect not only the players around him but the playcalling and the entire offense.  His inadequacies are turning into a gigantic skill vacuum.  There's more to being a leader than being the veteran.  If you don't want to agree with me you don't have to, just ask yourself this simple question.  When was the last time you saw Drew make a play out of nothing?

It's time to see what the future holds and time to wave goodbye to our current QB.  Bledsoe is a superb team guy, a warrior and an individual of tremendous character.  None of those traits make him deserving of the starting QB position anymore. 

Sometimes moving on is just hard.  If the Bills don't make a decision that it's time to move on the fans will show them the error of their ways in the sales office.

83777[/snapback]

Excellent post. I think you are right about Drew's inability to make those around him play up to their potential. I agree it's time to move on. I wish we had better alternatives, but things aren't going to get better with Bledsoe in there.

Mike, excellent post. I've been a fan for over 20 years. Its so painful to watch this weekly comedy of errors. The teams I remembered in the mid-80's (yeah the 2-14 ones) played with heart. They had no talent but they played and the games were interesting. This team has so much talent but is heartless. They'll be winning in the 4th quarter and I'll look at my wife and say, just wait they'll find a way to blow it. They do, my Sunday is ruined. I live in a beautiful house, two great kids and a really hot wife. It sucks when they lose. I need a day to decompress. Drew Bledsoe is ruining my marriage and relationship with my kids.

On a serious note, its time for Drew to step down. He's a classy guy, but he's got to see how much his horrible play is killing this team. I have never rooted for a Bills player to perform like Drew. But its time to move on.

83793[/snapback]

The Bills are not worth ruining your relationships with your wife and kids. Get a motorcycle or hobby to spend time with your family and create harmony, not strife. I'm definately cutting way back on watching the Bills, it's too painful. I'll maybe watch when Losman plays, but thats about it.

you're crazy, those 2 and 14 teams were horrible and repeatedly ran for the bus. this team has a good defense and some talent on offense....those teams were atrocious. Bledsoe isn't going anywhere this year so just stop with it.  Losman may come in late in season when expectations are low but that's about it. the bills will beat the cards, jets and rams in the next three weeks, bringing us to 4 and 5. Drew won't play great but the d will play well and we will make enough plays on O to win. We will get excited and then we will go on the road and drew will lay another egg and we will freak out again. JP will get a shot in game 15 or so, play suprisingly well, and we will talk for months on this board about how great: "the JP Era will be."

83822[/snapback]

The expectations are pretty low right now. Let the Losman era begin.

Great post Mike but unfortunately this was the case last year and we entered this year with a white flag in our hands.

we should have moved on last year, we tanked the year before it even started.

83844[/snapback]

Exactly...for the life of me I still can't figure that one out...TD had a chance to get out with zero, none, notta, Cap ramifications...Most GM's would jump at that opportunity...I'll never understand it...never... :doh:

Guest Guest_Millhouse_*
That pick that we "don't have" next year is JP Losman, with a year in the system under our coaches, as opposed to some rookie QB fresh out of college.

83796[/snapback]

So we drafted QB from Tulane with a questionable attitude with a top 5-ish pick? eeesh - I'm skeptical that that one year is worth the difference in talent between where they picked Losman and where they would pick (assuming that someone other than Donahoe will be actually doing the picking next year?

So we drafted QB from Tulane with a questionable attitude with a top 5-ish pick?  eeesh - I'm skeptical that that one year is worth the difference in talent between where they picked Losman and where they would pick (assuming that someone other than Donahoe will be actually doing the picking next year?

83848[/snapback]

The whole staff ...TD, Modrak, Ralph, Coaches, and scouts collectively do the picking. I see nobody coming out next year that I'd be more excited about than JP in the QB department, especially with his mobility. Oh, and TD will be here next year like it or not.

The whole staff ...TD, Modrak, Ralph, Coaches, and scouts collectively do the picking. I see nobody coming out next year that I'd be more excited about than JP in the QB department, especially with his mobility. Oh, and TD will be here next year like it or not.

83855[/snapback]

Agreed...this does not look like the best QB crop coming out...Of coarse we wont know that for certain for a few years, but JP ceratinly looks as good as any QB that may be in the 2005 Draft...

Agreed on TD too...Though I think the pressure is on big time now. The best thing for TD right now is for Willis to continue to improve, and for JP to show real promise. As long as those things happen, he's a lot better off... B)

Agreed...this does not look like the best QB crop coming out...Of coarse we wont know that for certain for a few years, but JP ceratinly looks as good as any QB that may be in the 2005 Draft...

Agreed on TD too...Though I think the pressure is on big time now. The best thing for TD right now is for Willis to continue to improve, and for JP to show real promise. As long as those things happen, he's a lot better off... B)

83861[/snapback]

you guys are assuming that you have to draft the next starter at qb. plenty of teams doing well with qbs they didn't draft. a top 5 pick should dominate (aside from mike williams of course)

you guys are assuming that you have to draft the next starter at qb.  plenty of teams doing well with qbs they didn't draft.  a top 5 pick should dominate (aside from mike williams of course)

83863[/snapback]

Well it's more like we already did Draft a QB so lets see how he is before we kill TD on the move. Right now, I'm neutral on it, but obviously I'm hoping JP is as good as advertized...If so, it's not a bad move...If not...well...nevermind... B)