As a QB who does Edwards most remind you of

JimmyPage

I don't believe comparing Trent Edwards to Joe Montana necessarily equates to expecting Trent to BECOME Joe Montana.

Your point is well-taken, but look at it this way. As far as actual performance level TODAY, at this point in his career, who would you compare Trent to? Maybe a Jake Delhomme, a Trent Green, a Marc Bulger or a Matt Hasselbeck? Honestly, if I had to compare Edwards' play right now to one quarterback, it would probably be Delhomme. Neither guy is asked to win games by themselves, yet neither one is in the Joe Flacco 'just don't lose it for us' mold. Both guys need to make contributions if their team is going to get anywhere, and they've both proven worthy of that responsibility. Trent differs because he has more upside, but upside is irrelevant to where he is right now.

And yet if you go through this thread, you'll find very few comparisions to these types of quarterbacks. Is that because most of the replies are from people so drunk on Kool-Aid they can't see straight?

I think, rather, that "Trent Green in his best days" simply isn't the kind of response this question tends to invoke. We tend to take the question "Who does Trent Edwards remind you of?" and translate it into something like "When he's playing winning football, what other quarterback's style of winning football does Trent come closest to?" Maybe thats why you get more Joe Montana than Bob Griese.

Again, someone comparing Edwards to Tom Brady, I don't believe necessarily means they think Edwards is as good as Tom Brady. The next Donovan McNabb or Drew Brees would do just fine.

I hear ya. I understand where you are coming from with the Delhomme comparison, but other than the comparison you made, they aren't similar QBs, IMO. Trent Green at his best, is interesting, but again, I agree with you that isn't going to be the answer anyone will go for.

As far as Drew Brees goes, though, I would be thrilled if Trent turned out to be a Brees-quality QB...and I think he is WELL on his way to that standard. In a year or two, he might be better than Brees.

But, back to the expectations, I think YOU get that comparing Trent to Montana doesn't mean they expect Trent to end up having a Montana-like career (sometimes we all forget that QBs careers are not totally dependent on how good they are), or becoming one of the all time greats, like Montana. But, having read the posts of many of these guys (and gals) for many years, I am not convinced that many of them have that level of understanding. Judging by some of the posts I have seen, I am convinced that there are posters who think that Trent already IS as good as Montana was, in his prime.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. I think the reason you see more Montana and Brady responses than Bob Griese or Bart Starr or Ken Anderson, is that a great many of the posters here are simply too young to have seen (or remember) those QBs. Comparing a QB to Bart Starr is a real compliment, IMO.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason you see more Montana and Brady responses than Bob Griese or Bart Starr or Ken Anderson, is that a great many of the posters here are simply too young to have seen (or remember) those QBs.

*raises hand* You'll notice I always try to put these things into newer terms that I can understand. :lol:

And the Dehlomme/Bulger/Green/Hasselbeck comparisons were strictly on skill/performance level, not on style. Should have made that clearer.

When Troy Aikman and John Elway were drafted # one overall in their prospective draft's they were both touted as not only being the best player in that years draft but the best QB talent to enter the NFL in years.Also,both had rockets for arms. Elway would throw so hard that his receivers would have little X's all over their chest's after practice.

Like Montana who was also a 3rd round pick Trent Edwards fell under the radar of most scouts and teams. Another comparison is their arms.neither was said to have a cannon but they could get the ball deep when needed.

I understand the comparisons to the Brady of several years ago. But, Brady has developed into a guy that really CAN throw the bomb, with incredibly accuracy...and maybe Trent will develop that, too.

What I fear from the comparisons to Brady, Montana and the like, is that these comparisons are to some of the best QBs of all time. Will people really be disappointed if he simply develops into a Bob Griese, Bart Starr or Ken Anderson? I certainly won't. As recently as a year or two ago, I would trade three #1 picks for a QB of the caliber of those guys.

Right now, it is fairly clear that he has the potential to be very, very good. But, hanging expectations like "the next Montana" can't do anyone any good, this early in a player's career, IMO.

If he becomes one of the all-time greats, GREAT! But, if he simply develops into a reliable and tough QB, who does an excellent job of running the team, finds ways to win when he has to, and doesn't lose games by making mistakes, then I will be very happy....if the Bills are a consistent winning team and a regular legit contender for the SB. Maybe I am too easy to please.

You are easy to please when it comes to qbs. Dean-o. :lol:

That said, I used to think that Trent resembled Hasselback the most, but not any more. MH throws more fastballs than Trent. Not so much long bombs mind you, but 20 yard passes that resemble baseball throws.

I hate to say it, but Trent does have a Montana-like style. His game is built on intelligence, quick decisions, pinpoint accuracy, and his passes are easy to catch. This is not to say he will have a career like Montana mind you. As much as I like the kid, this would be asking a bit much. But in terms of style, the resemblence is striking, this after 15 starts. I will say this.....if he stays healthy, his potential in just a year or so is scary.

PS: The above is the most prominent reason for the "qb controversy" on this board. Fans in general are more drawn to qbs who throw the deep ball. I remember thinking that Elway would give the Broncos an edge over SF in the superbowl because I thought (mistakenly) that he was a "better quarterback."

You are easy to please when it comes to qbs. Dean-o. :lol:

That said, I used to think that Trent resembled Hasselback the most, but not any more. MH throws more fastballs than Trent. Not so much long bombs mind you, but 20 yard passes that resemble baseball throws.

I hate to say it, but Trent does have a Montana-like style. His game is built on intelligence, quick decisions and pinpoint accuracy, and his passes are easy to catch. This is not to say he will have a career like Montana mind you. As much as I like the kid, this would be asking a bit much. But in terms of style, the resemblence is striking, this after 15 starts. I will say this.....if he stays healthy, his potential in just a year or so is scary.

PS: The above is the most prominent reason for the "qb controversy" on this board. Fans in general are more drawn to qbs who throw the deep ball. I remember thinking that Elway would give the Broncos an edge over Denver because I thought (mistakenly) that he was a "better quarterback."

Fair enough. And I agree that Trent has many of the same attributes as Joe.

But either I need another cup of coffee, or you make some mistakes when typing, because I have no idea what " I remember thinking that Elway would give the Broncos an edge over Denver" means.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me... But when I see Trent, from a strictly QB standpoint, I see Aikman, Blanda, Bradshaw, Dawson, Elway, Fouts, Graham, Griese, Jurgensen, Kelly, Layne, Marino, Montana, Moon, Namath, Starr, Staubach, Tarkenton, Tittle, Unitas, Van Brocklin, Waterfield, and Young.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me... But when I see Trent, from a strictly QB standpoint, I see Aikman, Blanda, Bradshaw, Dawson, Elway, Fouts, Graham, Griese, Jurgensen, Kelly, Layne, Marino, Montana, Moon, Namath, Starr, Staubach, Tarkenton, Tittle, Unitas, Van Brocklin, Waterfield, and Young.

Can we add just a wee bit of John Hadl?

Why? Is he a schizo?

Btw, I see nothing of Aikman in Trent. To me, Aikman was more of a home run hitter.

As far as Anderson, he too was known for his deep post patters to Isaac Curtis. Also Anderson, an all time great, had over 2,000 yards rushing if I recall.

Wow, you are right. Anderson had 2,220 rushing yards in his career. I had completely forgotten that he moved that well. But, then again, I drink, ya know.

Wow, you are right. Anderson had 2,220 rushing yards in his career. I had completely forgotten that he moved that well. But, then again, I drink, ya know.

Seriously, could you even begin to imagine Anderson on a good team? The guy was flat out great.

As far as guys like that, I will always think that Bert Jones could have been the best ever if he wasn't injured. That guy could do every single thing asked of a quarterback. Seriously, a simple explanation of Jones would be Elways with more touch and an easier ball to catch.

Jim Kelly - simply because hes our next franchise QB. I just hope he continues to add to his abilities and become the QB of the future.

Here are some comparible characterstics in my opinion

marinos quick release and lazer deep ball

Montanas Ability to make the quick read

John Elways 4th quarter comeback ability

Tom Brady's coolness

Jim Kelly's toughness

Jim Kelly - simply because hes our next franchise QB. I just hope he continues to add to his abilities and become the QB of the future.

marinos quick release and deep ball

Montanas Ability to make the quick read

John Elways 4th quarter comeback ability

Tom Brady's coolness

Jim Kelly's toughness

I know this is a joke (HAS to be...Marino's deep ball?)...but...

I really hope Trent turns out to have many of those, but it is a little early to know exactly how tough he is. Kelly was one tough SOB. Trent has yet to have the opportunity to show that kind of toughness. But, I trust he is tough enough.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me... But when I see Trent, from a strictly QB standpoint, I see Aikman, BlandaDawson, Fouts maybe, Griese, Jurgensen, Kelly only in the comeback/ leadership standpoint, Montana, Starr, Unitas fixed IMO.

Have to go with Kemp as the Bill he reminds of most

John Hadl could get rattled IMO