What will the Bills do with their first round pick of 2009?

Orton's Arm

Expected first round preference  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which position do you think the Bills will pick?

• Cornerback
    • Free Safety
    • Strong Safety

There are three different scenarios I can envision here:

1. The Bills decide to let Greer walk this year, and McGee the next. The long-term plan would be for McKelvin to man one starting CB spot, the first round pick the other CB spot, with Youboty at nickle.

2. Free Safety. The Bills appear unsatisfied with Ko Simpson, so using a first round pick on a free safety should be considered a strong possibility.

3. Strong safety. The plan here would be to move Whitner to free safety and to use another first round pick on a strong safety.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three different scenarios I can envision here:

1. The Bills decide to let Greer walk this year, and McGee the next. The long-term plan would be for McKelvin to man one starting CB spot, the first round pick the other CB spot, with Youboty at nickle.

2. Free Safety. The Bills appear unsatisfied with Ko Simpson, so using a first round pick on a free safety should be considered a strong possibility.

3. Strong safety. The plan here would be to move Whitner to free safety and to use another first round pick on a strong safety.

:ph34r:

OR DE

The only way I'd be happy if the Bills went secondary was if somehow William Moore fell to their pick. I'd then move Whitner to free with Moore at strong. To put that thought to an end though, Moore could be a top 10 safety and something tells me we won't be picking around that spot!!! :ph34r: I'd like center, DE, TE, or DT to be the pick.

Why would we address the secondary in the first round? We handled CB last year, we Have a top rated SS, and we have a lot of depth at FS, including a proven starter and franchise S in Simpson.

This is very flawed. We're definitely approaching LB, DE, or DT before we think about secondary.

Why would we address the secondary in the first round? We handled CB last year, we Have a top rated SS, and we have a lot of depth at FS, including a proven starter and franchise S in Simpson.

This is very flawed. We're definitely approaching LB, DE, or DT before we think about secondary.

Say whaa?

Say whaa?

What makes you think otherwise? Maybe "Franchise" was too strong, but he's more than proven himself as the starter.

He didn't play last week because of his injury coupled with the youboty injury, and our attempt to move Whitner to the Nickle spot. Instead, Scott had to see the field, and when they put in Wilson it just showed that a) Simpson was hurt, and/or b) they have enough faith in Wilson to play FS over Simpson, which proves my point that we wont draft FS even greater.

The only way I'd be happy if the Bills went secondary was if somehow William Moore fell to their pick. I'd then move Whitner to free with Moore at strong. To put that thought to an end though, Moore could be a top 10 safety and something tells me we won't be picking around that spot!!! :ph34r: I'd like center, DE, TE, or DT to be the pick.

Yeah but he has been hampered by a foot injury this year and he's getting Steve Fairchilded on Defense with the way he's being used this year.....he could fall, its too early to tell.

What makes you think otherwise? Maybe "Franchise" was too strong, but he's more than proven himself as the starter.

He didn't play last week because of his injury coupled with the youboty injury, and our attempt to move Whitner to the Nickle spot. Instead, Scott had to see the field, and when they put in Wilson it just showed that a) Simpson was hurt, and/or b) they have enough faith in Wilson to play FS over Simpson, which proves my point that we wont draft FS even greater.

I agree that he is a capable starter and I like him very much. When I hear "franchise" though, I think "franchise player" meaning someone you can build the team around. Maybe that's not what you meant. I could have just interpreted you wrongly.

Polamalu is a franchise safety...Ed Reed is a franchise safety.

In all honesty I think we could go a number of directions in Rd 1......

LB or DE would be nice but I could also see us picking up another Safety or beefing up the interior of either line. IMO we don't have any GLARING needs (a better pass rusher is the biggest one IMO) but could use some upgraded depth in a few departments. I really think we are in a position for the first time in a long time to pick up the best player available regardless of position.

I agree that he is a capable starter and I like him very much. When I hear "franchise" though, I think "franchise player" meaning someone you can build the team around. Maybe that's not what you meant. I could have just interpreted you wrongly.

Polamalu is a franchise safety...Ed Reed is a franchise safety.

Okay, the word franchise was much. I used it to mean that he was supported and the franchise deemed him a capable starter.

I didn't mean he was a franchise player. I stand by my claim that we're not going that way in round 1.

In all honesty I think we could go a number of directions in Rd 1......

LB or DE would be nice but I could also see us picking up another Safety or beefing up the interior of either line. IMO we don't have any GLARING needs (a better pass rusher is the biggest one IMO) but could use some upgraded depth in a few departments. I really think we are in a position for the first time in a long time to pick up the best player available regardless of position.

+1

And it's a great feeling isn't it? But yeah, if that best available player is a DE, it's definitely a plus.

the best safety in this draft is Taylor Mays from USC. He is a big (6-4, 225) and he can cover. Pete Carroll said he is one the best athletes he has ever coached. I would not be surprised if that is who the Bills select later in the first round.

A tight end wouldnt hurt either...

In a cover 2 defense, the free and strong safety designations don't mean much. So, the issue is, do we need another "big" safety? Assuming Scott plays well, the answer is no, as you have scott, simpson and whitner, with wilson and Youboty as backups. we are done with this. As for corners, sign Greer and let McGee go after next year, as the big $$ need to be spent on TE and Peters this year. Reggie Corner and McKelvin take over along side Greer. Parrish and McKelvin return kicks. done . Stupid question by the original poster. The Bills are loaded in the secondary.

OUr needs are center (definately), Tight end (maybe), and DT (probably, as Cargo stinks) and LB