Is anybody else not voting for McCain because of Palin?

I consider myself a political moderate and I am registed independent as a voter. I am not a fan of McCain, and I am not a big fan of Obama either, though I've long thought of him as the lesser of two evils.

However, my mind was made up 100% to vote Obama with McCain's VP selection. The fact is that, McCain might appear to be in good health, but when you elect a 72 year old man to be president you have to accept the distinct possibility that he will die of natural causes in office. Who knows how close he is to a major stroke or heart attack?

And if that was the case, then the leader of the free world would be a woman who can't name a single American periodical, considers Alaska's proximity to Russia to be foreign policy experience, and thinks being a PTA member is one of her qualifications for leadership. Besides that, she just comes across as a complete idiot whenever she speaks. I'm aware that it's partially due to her accent, which it's wrong to judge somebody about...but half of what she says is just political right-wing buzzwords.

Bottomline is, I CANNOT with good conscience vote for McCain knowing his veep could very well be handed the presidency some day.

Anybody with me?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people attribute McCain's demise to the economic crisis, saying that he was at least even with Obama and probably even a couple points ahead, but then the crash came and everyone jumped to Obama.

I think that is only half true, perhaps not even half.

The main and almost inarguable reason at that distinct point in time that McCain led in a few polls by a few points was the Sarah Palin selection. At that point, it was a phenomenon. She did fabulous at the convention, she completely re-energized the base, she gave undecideds and independents and leaners a good reason to re-evaluate McCain. It LOOKED like he completed the Hail Mary that he threw.

But that was also before she spoke, or anyone knew much about her. What she had done was perform, which she does and continues to do well. She appealed on paper as a true conservative and reformer. People were interested in her. It was at THAT point that economy crisis hit.

It was also at that point that people started to actually see her for what she was. She wasn't a shining star she was a shooting star and shockingly uninformed. Instead of people thinking that McCain made a brilliant and risky choice, they realized that McCain had made a stupid and reckless choice. And it was heightened by McCain's erratic actions when the financial crisis took all the headlines. When Palin couldn't answer a simple question, and McCain looked lost, there was a complete reversal of the momentum that Palin herself had built up.

In retrospect, he wouldn't have held that lead that she gave him even if the financial crisis wouldn't have happened. People would have seen her for the farce that she is with or without it, and it would have returned to a solid 3-5 lead for Obama, which is now a 7-10 point lead because of the economy.

Ultimately, Palin gave McCain a 5-6 point boost when she exploded on the scene. But she took from him all of that, plus 2-3 points when she imploded on the scene. Too many people IMO attribute that to the economy. I think it would have happened anyway, and the polls seem to support it. Her favorability, simply by having to answer questions about world events, has dropped 25 points. She now has a huge unfavorability rating, and it had little to do with the economy.

The mantra of this election year will be remembered as, "It's the stupidity, stupid."

I consider myself a political moderate and I am registed independent as a voter. I am not a fan of McCain, and I am not a big fan of Obama either, though I've long thought of him as the lesser of two evils.

However, my mind was made up 100% to vote Obama with McCain's VP selection. The fact is that, McCain might appear to be in good health, but when you elect a 72 year old man to be president you have to accept the distinct possibility that he will die of natural causes in office. Who knows how close he is to a major stroke or heart attack?

And if that was the case, then the leader of the free world would be a woman who can't name a single American periodical, considers Alaska's proximity to Russia to be foreign policy experience, and thinks being a PTA member is one of her qualifications for leadership. Besides that, she just comes across as a complete idiot whenever she speaks. I'm aware that it's partially due to her accent, which it's wrong to judge somebody about...but half of what she says is just political right-wing buzzwords.

Bottomline is, I CANNOT with good conscience vote for McCain knowing his veep could very well be handed the presidency some day.

Anybody with me?

Stroke and heart attack can get anyone of any age. But there is a over 70% chance that a 72 year old man will not be alive in 4 years. Both VP choices are dweebs but ya have to think which is scarrier

What are the chances of Obama kicking the bucket. Both his parents died at about his age and he is a chain smoker.He could have a stroke or heart attack or lung cancer at any time. My father died at 60 from lung cancer. He stopped smoking six years earlier and had no symptoms until he started coughing up blood.

Biden has had two anyerusims(sp?). When was his last scan to see if any more are developing?

What are the chances of Obama kicking the bucket. Both his parents died at about his age and he is a chain smoker.He could have a stroke or heart attack or lung cancer at any time. My father died at 60 from lung cancer. He stopped smoking six years earlier and had no symptoms until he started coughing up blood.

Biden has had two anyerusims(sp?). When was his last scan to see if any more are developing?

you get a couple of Pinocchios on the truth meter for that one...

Obama Admits Smoking Cigarettes in Last Few Months

Since quitting, Obama has indicated in the past that he has “fallen off the wagon” but before today was not specific about how recent his smoking was.

“Months,” Obama said of the last time he has smoked.

He could still have a stroke, heart attack or lung cancer, even though he stopped several years ago.

My father had stopped for 6 years.

I don't know why I would even address this but the average lifespan of a smoker is 68, 8 years less than a non-smoker.

Unless Barack gets ovarian cancer, his mother's early death has ZERO effect on his lifespan. His father died from complications from a car accident, with ZERO effect on his lifespan. All four of his grandparents lived to their mid 70s or mid 80s.

I know you're buckin' for Tard of the Year, again, but people are going to start to think you are just making things up instead of just being a total partisan moron.

My understanding is that gets check regularly. That being said as it was posted earlier, both Presidents have certain survival risks, then the question is which of the VP contenders who both have issues, ?who do you feel could step in quickly and relatively seamlessly...

Then why weren't they released? McCain put his records out there for everyone to see. Obama and Biden haven't.

Oh and McCain's mother is still alive at 94.

So stop bringing up this nonsense of "McCain is going to die in office".

I don't know why I would even address this but the average lifespan of a smoker is 68, 8 years less than a non-smoker.

Unless Barack gets ovarian cancer, his mother's early death has ZERO effect on his lifespan. His father died from complications from a car accident, with ZERO effect on his lifespan. All four of his grandparents lived to their mid 70s or mid 80s.

I know you're buckin' for Tard of the Year, again, but people are going to start to think you are just making things up instead of just being a total partisan moron.

Nice! The "Smackdown" post of the day directly rebuts the "Pants on Fire" post of the day.

My understanding is that gets check regularly. That being said as it was posted earlier, both Presidents have certain survival risks, then the question is which of the VP contenders who both have issues, ?who do you feel could step in quickly and relatively seamlessly...

I just listened to Obamas response to the question of assassination. Pretty good answer. Though, when people talk about McCains age they also should talk about that risk of assassination for Obama, and I think Obamas is higher in that regard.

72 year old white dude could die at any minute. Or those racist western Pennsiltuckians could take Obama out with a musket at 1000 yards at any moment.

Regardless. Sad. But true.

I just listened to Obamas response to the question of assassination. Pretty good answer. Though, when people talk about McCains age they also should talk about that risk of assassination for Obama, and I think Obamas is higher in that regard.

72 year old white dude could die at any minute. Or those racist western Pennsiltuckians could take Obama out with a musket at 1000 yards at any moment.

Regardless. Sad. But true.

It is kind of true. Although impossible to figure, Obama probably has a much greater chance of getting assassinated than he does dying of natural causes in office.

That said, if somehow Obama loses, I'd say the chances of some wacka assassinating McCain are just as likely as one assassinating Obama.

Then why weren't they released? McCain put his records out there for everyone to see. Obama and Biden haven't.

Oh and McCain's mother is still alive at 94.

So stop bringing up this nonsense of "McCain is going to die in office".

Again, this is one of the most retarded arguments in a decade of retarded arguments on this forum, but McCain's father died of heart failure when he was 70.

It is kind of true. Although impossible to figure, Obama probably has a much greater chance of getting assassinated than he does dying of natural causes in office.

That said, if somehow Obama loses, I'd say the chances of some wacka assassinating McCain are just as likely as one assassinating Obama.

Actually there is a job like that. I was trying to think of the Job's name at Insurance company's that rate the risk of people dying in certain ways or living to a certian age. Just cant think of the name. There was a movie out too with a guy that was one of those dudes. Anyway, my guess is that Obamas is off the chart when it comes to assassination.

Think about it. If a lefty shoots McCain, Palin is the President, which is the last thing you guys want.

You do know there are more than 2 people running for President don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_third_pa...tial_candidates