Gary Busey

extrahammer

Gary Busey Poll  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gary Busey psycho or funny?

• Psychotic
    • Funny

I also voted for both. Part of him is playing off the image, but I'm pretty sure part of it is real.

He was great in Carny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080500/

One of my favorite films is The Buddy Holly Story. I'll be honest, the film has a lot of flaws (one of the most egregious of which is seeing mountains in the background of a scene that is supposed to take place in flat-as-a-pancake Lubbock, Texas). However, Busey's performance makes the film not only watchable, but enjoyable; and the music certainly doesn't hurt, either.

Gary Busey's claim to fame prior to playing Buddy Holly was being the last character killed on Gunsmoke. Busey did his own singing and guitar work in the film depicting the last few years of Holly's life.

Busey literally carries that film, moreso than I've ever seen any other actor carry a movie. He almost becomes Buddy Holly right before your eyes. It's the role he was born to play, and his Best Actor Oscar nomination was well deserved (he lost the award to Jon Voight).

He's certainly had his moments since (he was terrific in both the first Lethal Weapon and Under Siege), but he seems to be more noted now for his crazy behavior, and as I said, I think a lot of his problems stem from that near-fatal motorcycle accident.