Atmosphere at the stadium today

Simon

I'd been vacillating on bringing my youngest up but in the end decided I had too much to do here. Just was wondering what it was like in the stadium with no power.

I read this on ESPN:

With no power, though, the atmosphere was a little surreal. The crowd would cheer without prompting and there was none of the loud music being pumped in through the expensive sound system. Also missing were the commercials being broadcast during breaks in the action.

and it struck me this might have been the most enjoyable NFL game to attend in years.

What that numb-nut reporter missed was that people were cheering when they saw lights come on. They weren't cheering for no reason. The atmosphere was fine. People cheered when they needed to. Really the game was not terribly dramatic. Plus it was such a nice day that may have mellowed folks a bit. But it wasn't a dead crowd by any stretch.

PTR

I'd been vacillating on bringing my youngest up but in the end decided I had too much to do here. Just was wondering what it was like in the stadium with no power.

I read this on ESPN:

and it struck me this might have been the most enjoyable NFL game to attend in years.

I sit in section 123, front row. The only word I could use to describe the atmosphere was surreal. No game clock, no play clock, no nothing.

What we had was two teams just playing football. And that makes me wonder what it was like way back when. One of the guys in our row has been going to games since the Rockpile was alive. We jokingly asked him if this is how it was back then.

Thank goodness the weather was stellar.

Sat in 143 just below the Rockpile and the atmosphere was electric. The Fans were in it the whole game, and in some ways not having the power on was a bit fun. It was like watching old time football. The crowd was great, and the crowd cheering during the blackouts was pretty intense. Those were some of the loudest moments in the whole game.

From this thread alone, I have learned............

NONE OF YOU WOULD SURVIVE IN AN AMISH WORLD........

The game reminded me of a modified football game. No Game clock, no scoreboard no nothing. Just the old dudes moving the chains and the refs telling you what down it was.

Amazing how much we depend of technology.

It was pitch black in all of the bathrooms. I have no idea how I ran a two minute drill when I needed to, either.

I had no idea if i hit a urinal in there. but i found myself back in the restroom later and most people didn't make it in.

Guest dog14787
Sat in 143 just below the Rockpile and the atmosphere was electric. The Fans were in it the whole game, and in some ways not having the power on was a bit fun. It was like watching old time football. The crowd was great, and the crowd cheering during the blackouts was pretty intense. Those were some of the loudest moments in the whole game.

You guys are so lucky to be there. :unsure:

It was pretty intense bouncing back and forth between the computer and the television thinking all along, Ya, a Steeler fan had something to do with this blackout I just know they did. :censored:

I read this on ESPN:

No TV timeouts, no stupid ads blasting at jet-engine decibel levels. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I did miss the time clock a little at the end of the first half, but I'm used to covering games at fields with no play clocks, so that part wasn't a problem for me. (Had to suck for the QBs, though, since they probably haven't played without one since HS.) And if anyone here doesn't know how to read the sticks for down and distance, learn.

As tater mentioned, the a cappella version of Shout! was mighty fun, too.

No TV timeouts, no stupid ads blasting at jet-engine decibel levels. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

I did miss the time clock a little at the end of the first half, but I'm used to covering games at fields with no play clocks, so that part wasn't a problem for me. (Had to suck for the QBs, though, since they probably haven't played without one since HS.) And if anyone here doesn't know how to read the sticks for down and distance, learn.

As tater mentioned, the a cappella version of Shout! was mighty fun, too.

No TV timeouts may have been the best thing. CBS claims it aired all its commercials, so I guess they made up for almost half the game not being televised. Still, there was a flow when the game was played.

Not knowing the yards needed for a first was strange.

One thing I noticed was the ref talking to Trent before we started our first drive sans play clock. He was pointing down field towards (I thought) the play clock.

We soon got called for delay of game. The flag was thrown by the, I think, Field Judge....the guy in center field behind the safeties. The Chargers took a delay penalty, too, and the same center field ref threw the flag. That got me thinking...

Does that official (Field Judge) keep the playclock on him (stopwatch?) And I was wondering if he was supposed to maybe give a signal that time was running out, like maybe raise one hand with a clenched fist to signal "5 seconds" or something. I wondered if this arrangement 1. existed and 2. is what the ref was pointing out to Trent before we started blackout play.

Overall, I thought it was pretty cool having the power out. Seemed much more like a football game and less of an "event"

I sit in section 123, front row. The only word I could use to describe the atmosphere was surreal. No game clock, no play clock, no nothing.

What we had was two teams just playing football. And that makes me wonder what it was like way back when. One of the guys in our row has been going to games since the Rockpile was alive. We jokingly asked him if this is how it was back then.

Thank goodness the weather was stellar.

You know---games were much better without all the piped in nonsense. I went to games starting in '64(i was a tike) but i remember the atmosphere well. Went to the games at the rockpile all the way thru the early 70s . I think the crowd on its own can get creative in a better way .

One thing I noticed was the ref talking to Trent before we started our first drive sans play clock. He was pointing down field towards (I thought) the play clock.

We soon got called for delay of game. The flag was thrown by the, I think, Field Judge....the guy in center field behind the safeties. The Chargers took a delay penalty, too, and the same center field ref threw the flag. That got me thinking...

Does that official (Field Judge) keep the playclock on him (stopwatch?) And I was wondering if he was supposed to maybe give a signal that time was running out, like maybe raise one hand with a clenched fist to signal "5 seconds" or something. I wondered if this arrangement 1. existed and 2. is what the ref was pointing out to Trent before we started blackout play.

Overall, I thought it was pretty cool having the power out. Seemed much more like a football game and less of an "event"

Just got my answer from the Rivers press conference...he said the Back Judge (not field judge) would flash the 10 second warning (both hands up) Given that both Rivers and Edwards are likely out of practice with this technique, only one delay penalty each isn't too bad....