Powell

Is THAT the "Powell Doctrine"?

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Everyone else in history calls that "common sense". Only in America would we have to doctrinize it. :lol:

Thats right

"Powell beleives in using overwhelming force ,once the troops are commited ,as Powell also stated in the Powell doctrine"

It came out about during the Viet Nam war

I guess it was doctrinized because the politicians do not seem aware of it or it least the ones that were not in the military

Did ya ever see a politician with "comon sense"

You were one of those smart guys I was talking about if I recall correctly, who were against the war for solid, intelligent, logical reasons even though you saw the appeal of it.

"Appeal" is probably the wrong word. I believed at the time, and still do in hindsight, that there were valid reasons to remove Saddam Hussein from power, but the war as developed and executed was an execrable mistake and basically immoral action that shouldn't have been undertaken, regardless of the veracity of the intelligence (which is a key point everyone forgets...were the reasons for war given sufficient even if completely true and accurate?)

But war never "appeals" to me. Another of the big problems I had back in '02...there seemed to be almost a "boys with toys" mentality within the administration with respect to the military after invading Afghanistan. Too much willingness (if not eagerness), not enough "people will die, this is gonna suck" awareness.

"Appeal" is probably the wrong word. I believed at the time, and still do in hindsight, that there were valid reasons to remove Saddam Hussein from power, but the war as developed and executed was an execrable mistake and basically immoral action that shouldn't have been undertaken, regardless of the veracity of the intelligence (which is a key point everyone forgets...were the reasons for war given sufficient even if completely true and accurate?)

But war never "appeals" to me. Another of the big problems I had back in '02...there seemed to be almost a "boys with toys" mentality within the administration with respect to the military after invading Afghanistan. Too much willingness (if not eagerness), not enough "people will die, this is gonna suck" awareness.

Good answer. You're right, "appeal" was the wrong word.

Two other things that people tend to forget was the "liberal media" being suck-asses and proponents for the war, which made it easy for the right to paint any left leaning politician into being Un-American or unpatriotic. I actually think that a significant portion of the fawning over Obama that the press is doing is a conscious or unconscious making up for that global error of judgment. Plus we tend to forget the gutless left for not sticking up for what they actually believed. I understand why they did it, they were scared to, but this was a war. What a lot of Democrats did by not actually being for the war but not sticking up for themselves in public was pathetic.

Thats right

"Powell beleives in using overwhelming force ,once the troops are commited ,as Powell also stated in the Powell doctrine"

It came out about during the Viet Nam war

I guess it was doctrinized because the politicians do not seem aware of it or it least the ones that were not in the military

Did ya ever see a politician with "comon sense"

Subodai believed it to. May as well call it the "Mongolian Doctrine". Or even the "Pericles Doctrine". Only Americans would be arrogant enough to think they invented the concept of winning wars by fighting them.

But then, it makes more sense than the French doctrinalizing "Raise your hands in surrender." :lol:

Good answer. You're right, "appeal" was the wrong word.

Two other things that people tend to forget was the "liberal media" being suck-asses and proponents for the war, which made it easy for the right to paint any left leaning politician into being Un-American or unpatriotic. I actually think that a significant portion of the fawning over Obama that the press is doing is a conscious or unconscious making up for that global error or judgment. Plus we tend to forget the gutless left for not sticking up for what they actually believed. I understand why they did it, they were scared to, but this was a war. What a lot of Democrats did by not actually being for the war but not sticking up for themselves in public was pathetic.

One of the things I respect about Lieberman is that he's unapologetic about supporting the war. I disagree with him...but given the same info, coming to a different judgement, and standing by it, okay I can at least respect that. Contrast that to Kerry's ridiculous "I voted for it before I voted against it" weaseling, or Biden's preternaturally stupid "Yeah, I voted to authorize the use of military force, but I didn't think the President would actually do it..." (That makes you the only one in the country unaware, Joe.) Again, while I don't like Bush, one of the things I can respect about him is that you know where he stands. He's an idiot, but he doesn't try to weasel out of being an idiot.

The press...likes war. Always did. Again...the press is biased towards the salacious, and war is in a way salacious. War sells. Complaints about the press not doing their job I find laughable...the press's job is to sell ad space, not watch out for us. "Remember the Maine"?

ROTFLMAO!

Is that Erinthered, Da Big Man, LaBillz, or Boomer???

Not that you ever cared about getting anything right.....but.....ah, never mind.

I always enjoy your posts. Cleaning toilets on a destroyer/frigate/canoe for 20 years must of been pretty shiity. Thanks for your service though. :D

Not that you ever cared about getting anything right.....but.....ah, never mind.

I always enjoy your posts. Cleaning toilets on a destroyer/frigate/canoe for 20 years must of been pretty shiity. Thanks for your service though. :D

I only cleaned them for the first four years, after that I got to stand there with a cup of coffee and a clipboard telling some boot that they weren't clean enough...

'Course you artillery guys never had to clean toilets, you just went in the woods and hoped the leaves weren't poison ivy...

I only cleaned them for the first four years, after that I got to stand there with a cup of coffee and a clipboard telling some boot that they weren't clean enough...

'Course you artillery guys never had to clean toilets, you just went in the woods and hoped the leaves weren't poison ivy...

Ah. The other funny part is your confusion of who I am and what I did. Wrong poster, Sarge. :D

That must of been some seriously bad coffee to kill so many brain cells so fast. Enjoy the rocker, Gramps.

Sorry, I have a hard time keeping you wingnuts straight... :thumbsup:

But at least I know that you served, unlike many of the chickenhawks around here. :thumbsup:

Don't bring that up again. I smacked you several years ago about that.

I would have served if I could. I was 4-F because I had my kidney out when I was 4. I went down to get my draft card, but that was the month they stopped the draft registration (1975).

Don't bring that up again. I smacked you several years ago about that.

I would have served if I could. I was 4-F because I had my kidney out when I was 4. I went down to get my draft card, but that was the month they stopped the draft registration (1975).

Wacka, whenever I have anything to say to you or about you, I leave no doubt who I'm talking to or about. In this case I made a generic statement with no specific individual in mind. But if the shoe fits...

And just for the record you have never "smacked" me. During the run-up to the Iraq War you were, just as you are now, one of the most virulent right wing propaganda spewing posters on these boards. I told you then, and I'll repeat it now, that if you truly felt the way your posts indicated you did, you should enlist and put your own life on the line. You responded with your sad tale of woe and I called you a "!@#$ING SPINELESS CHICKENHAWK." You then cried to a moderator that a "Big Mean Liberal Bully" was picking on poor little you and I was warned not to belittle you for being a spineless coward willing to spend other peoples lives - but not his own - in defense of the ideals spoon fed to you by Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

I realized then that the only appropriate reply to the vast majority of your posts was, is, and always will be, derisive laughter followed by sarcastic belittlement of both you and whatever talking point you just repeated.

Now, if you'd like to take another try at "smacking" me, feel free, I'm in the mood for a good laugh at a brain-dead wingnut.

Wacka, whenever I have anything to say to you or about you, I leave no doubt who I'm talking to or about. In this case I made a generic statement with no specific individual in mind. But if the shoe fits...

And just for the record you have never "smacked" me. During the run-up to the Iraq War you were, just as you are now, one of the most virulent right wing propaganda spewing posters on these boards. I told you then, and I'll repeat it now, that if you truly felt the way your posts indicated you did, you should enlist and put your own life on the line. You responded with your sad tale of woe and I called you a "!@#$ING SPINELESS CHICKENHAWK." You then cried to a moderator that a "Big Mean Liberal Bully" was picking on poor little you and I was warned not to belittle you for being a spineless coward willing to spend other peoples lives - but not his own - in defense of the ideals spoon fed to you by Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

I realized then that the only appropriate reply to the vast majority of your posts was. is, and always will be, derisive laughter followed by sarcastic belittlement of both you and whatever talking point you just repeated.

Now, if you'd like to take another try at "smacking" me, feel free, I'm in the mood for a good laugh at a brain-dead wingnut.

THAT'S THE COUP DE GRACE!!!!!! THAT'S THE EPILOGUE!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I realized then that the only appropriate reply to the vast majority of your posts was. is, and always will be, derisive laughter followed by sarcastic belittlement of both you and whatever talking point you just repeated.

Hey be nice, he's just going through a tough time with the knowledge that our next President is a goddamn hippie communist radical muslim supporter who trips blind kids and kills puppies with hammers while burning the American flag.

:thumbsup:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mUuaYXO0ze0

Wow..This dude does not mince words.

What the !@#$? That is the most racist thing I've ever seen in my life. Senator Tarzan? Calling his own people n*ggers? Who is this man, and who gave him these ideas?

Wow. Just wow. This video made me lose a little bit of faith in humanity.

I realized then that the only appropriate reply to the vast majority of your posts was, is, and always will be, derisive laughter followed by sarcastic belittlement of both you and whatever talking point you just repeated.

I called it like I saw it then and now. You were calling me a coward for having a condition I had no control over which would disqualify me for service.

Instead of getting in a big yelling match here, which would probably end up in me getting banned for a while, I decided to take it to the mods, the mature way to handle it.

Yesterday, you started up with the chickenhawk BS again and I knew it was only a matter of time before you would get to me.

What the !@#$? That is the most racist thing I've ever seen in my life. Senator Tarzan? Calling his own people n*ggers? Who is this man, and who gave him these ideas?

Wow. Just wow. This video made me lose a little bit of faith in humanity.

This is my favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuu-RhOBDU