OK, it's bye week storytime. Share:

Born in '55, I don't recall a time I wasn't aware of the Bills. But my earliest memory comes from '63 and the buzz around the house -my Dad and his buddies/co-workers killin' a case of Schlitz- about how we stole San Diego's QB. Jackie Kemp would become a household name in WNY in short order and the team starting winning. During the season, Prez. JFK was assasinated -I was in 3rd grade- and we ended up losing a 1 game playoff to the Pats* pretty bad. 2 months later, the Beatles played Sullivan and Cassius Clay whooped the Big Bear. That fall, I was old enough to play TYRO football and was bummed when I learned the Bills changed their uni's from the shoulder stripes as my team had similar jerseys. '64 is still pretty much in focus with the long winning streak, the DEFENSE and the beginning of the Kemp/Lamonica battle. But I'd have to say Kemp coming to Buffalo started my Bills addiction which continues through today.

Please chime in!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started following football around 1968 as a ten year old lad...was first a Raiders fan :doh: then a Vikings fan, liked the Cowboys for a season or two... :lol: BUT on Sept 30, 1973, that all changed when I attended my first pro game at the brand spanking new Rich Stadium.

I'll never forget walking through the tunnel and first seeing the bright green Astroturf...and OJ running wild and three John Leypoldt FGs to beat the Jets.

I've been in the tank ever since...

I was born in 1956 and and lived about 15 blocks from the Rockpile as a kid. After one of the AFC Championship games against KC in '64 or '65, an older guy walked through our neighborhood with his head down and told us "there were a lot of very unhappy people at the stadium and to stay away from there." Also, several years later, when the Bills drafted OJ, I remember everyone in the neighborhood listening to the first preseason game on their front porches - there was a LOT of excitement about him being in Buffalo.

don_of_manhattan

Going to the Camalot Motor Lodge to watch Cookie sitting on his helmet watching the rest of the team practice ..... when I asked my dad how he gets away with it he laughs and says "son ..... superstars don't need practice".

pregame ritual of filling up those hand warmers with lighter fluid and lighting the wick so our hands would keep warm ..... I have never figured out how those darn things worked, and still don't know why the entire stadium didn't blow up because 40,000 fans had their pockets full of lighter fluid filled flasks with smoldering wicks on them.

Stopping to buy fresh roasted peanuts from the vendor on Best street. Even today when I watch them on TV I can swear I smell fresh roasted peanuts.

Getting the seat behind the pole because I was the youngest kid.

One game (against the Pat*s I think) where it was snowing so bad no one could see the field, so the stands erupted into a giant snowball fight for the rest of the game.

Sunday victory was either;

A. A Bills win

B. Finding an open stall in an operating restroom in the rockpile.

I was born in 67. My earliest memories was watching the game that OJ exceeded 2000 yards for the season. I don't recall the specific year or even opponent. I also remember the 'electric company' and 'the Juice' slogans & the OJ commercials.

I was born in 67. My earliest memories was watching the game that OJ exceeded 2000 yards for the season. I don't recall the specific year or even opponent. I also remember the 'electric company' and 'the Juice' slogans & the OJ commercials.

The Frank Reich comeback game. I was 4 years old so I don't remember the specifics too well, but I remember my dad going batshit crazy when we won.

Somewhere 'round '63 or '64 - used to watch the Sun. nite games at my uncle's house 'cause he had 'color-TV'. (He had a colour-TV set with a remote that 'tripped' some sort of electro-mechanical relay and caused the VHF channel dial (Ch. 2-13) to rotate! :lol: )

My brother and I had the kid-sized full 'replica' uniforms...not just jerseys - helmets, shoulder pads, pants with the removable thigh pads...ridiculous.

Anyway, my most vivid early memory was when the team appeared at the old Thruway Plaza to greet the fans after the '64 championship - they were giving out those small souvenir footballs and I nearly got crushed by the mob 'til my dad hoisted me on his shoulders. Got my souvenir football though! :doh:

Those were the days...

18 and 1 baby!!! :doh:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :lol:

I was born in 1981. My earliest memories of the Bills was watching the first SB game agents the Cowboys.

All I really remember from that game, other than us losing, was me saying out loud, "why doesnt someone just walk over and hit their QB after a play? Its only one penalty...". My parents didnt really like that at all...

Born in '55, I don't recall a time I wasn't aware of the Bills. But my earliest memory comes from '63 During the season, Prez. JFK was assasinated -I was in 3rd grade- the Beatles played Sullivan and Cassius Clay whooped the Big Bear.

Please chime in!

Me too! Me too!

Don't forget the black and white TV! I couldn't tell what color our uniforms were. I just liked the cute little buffalo on the helmets. :lol:

Me too! Me too!

Don't forget the black and white TV! I couldn't tell what color our uniforms were. I just liked the cute little buffalo on the helmets. :lol:

Ha!! I 'made' my first Bills helmet, brushing on white house paint and made the Buffalo's out of black electrical tape 'cause that's the 'color' they were! :lol:

Couple of things

1) First game at the Rockpile. Little kid bout my age(7) was walking toward the gate with his ticket in his hand. Dude ran right up and swiped the ticket. Till this day never pull a ticket out of my pocket till i am at the gate.

2) Someone else mentioned being a fan of other teams, I was as well. I wasn't one to listen to the games on the radio, and only half the Bills games were on TV, some forget that it used to be NO home games on TV. Remeber watching KC and just loving Len Dawson and Ed Podalak!

1st sports memory is wide right. I fell asleep watching the game and my parents woke my up to watch the final kick, I just remember seeing the kick sail wide and then bursting into tears. that has sort of been the theme of my life as a buffalo sports fan, from 4 straight superbowl losses to no goal and the music city miracle, and most recently Jay McKee's staph infection and the dessimation of the sabres D, I have had the pleasure of watching some of the most talented hockey and football teams that have met the rudest of demises. But at least I have been able to enjoy some great seasons both as a hockey and football fan. Too bad the two teams are never relevant at the same time, maybe this year that can happen.

Born in '55, I don't recall a time I wasn't aware of the Bills. But my earliest memory comes from '63 and the buzz around the house -my Dad and his buddies/co-workers killin' a case of Schlitz- about how we stole San Diego's QB. Jackie Kemp would become a household name in WNY in short order and the team starting winning. During the season, Prez. JFK was assasinated -I was in 3rd grade- and we ended up losing a 1 game playoff to the Pats* pretty bad. 2 months later, the Beatles played Sullivan and Cassius Clay whooped the Big Bear. That fall, I was old enough to play TYRO football and was bummed when I learned the Bills changed their uni's from the shoulder stripes as my team had similar jerseys. '64 is still pretty much in focus with the long winning streak, the DEFENSE and the beginning of the Kemp/Lamonica battle. But I'd have to say Kemp coming to Buffalo started my Bills addiction which continues through today.

Please chime in!

Also being born in 55, my addiction started in 63(hence the name). I lived on the east side and remember sitting outside

listing to the game on radio and the reactionary noise coming from the direction of the rockpile