One thing I am really hoping they are working on

As already mentiioned, jamming the WR at the line and not giving up the inside route, are keys to stopping success with slant routes. Your linebackers (and safeties) must also be aware and able to help defend passes across the middle AND deliver punishment to the WR who dares enter that area. The WR should be wary of coming across on the defense, if it is doing its job properly. Many completed slant routes should = bruised and battered WRs.

Pressure up the middle also makes it harder for the QB to make those throws.

but what we all have to understand as well, is that is the point of the Cover-2 "bend but dont break" defense.

you allow all the short plays underneath and never give up a big play, with the plan to tackle the WR quickly. and the pass rush is supposed to stop the rhythm needed to hit those plays.

problem is we had no pass rush and werent swarming the ball. so our strategy was basically, dont give up the deep ball but let everything else kill us.

for ANY scheme to work you need the major components to be successful. 2(at least) of our major components didnt seem to catch the flight out west.

Yeah, but that seldom happens, especially last Sunday. I could understand if our DB's were bringing the pain and lowering the boom as soon as a WR touches the ball, but on most plays, the WR has 3 yards of breathing room after the completion. And why on third and six are our DB's lining up ten yards off of the line of scrimmage and backpedaling at the snap? All that does is concede the first down and keep your D on the field. Man, I wish we could play against Dickie J's cover 2 every Sunday.

Yeah, but that seldom happens, especially last Sunday. I could understand if our DB's were bringing the pain and lowering the boom as soon as a WR touches the ball, but on most plays, the WR has 3 yards of breathing room after the completion. And why on third and six are our DB's lining up ten yards off of the line of scrimmage and backpedaling at the snap? All that does is concede the first down and keep your D on the field. Man, I wish we could play against Dickie J's cover 2 every Sunday.

I think part of the problem, last week, was the unavailability of the team's #1 CB. I'm certainly not excusing Fewell, or the Bills' defensive players on the field. However, I think the D played more passively, and conservatively, (by design and execution) partly due to McGee's absence.

I think part of the problem, last week, was the unavailability of the team's #1 CB. I'm certainly not excusing Fewell, or the Bills' defensive players on the field. However, I think the D played more passively, and conservatively, (by design and execution) partly due to McGee's absence.

I agree with that and I was thinking the same thing during the game, it seemed like they were trying to protect the young guys in the secondary.

We got SLANTED to death in this past game.....I mean we seriously COULD NOT STOP IT

I would like to add another thing they should be working on, How about we run a RB or TE SCREEN. PLEASE!

If that's how they are going to play because they have young CBs, why did they not keep Will James around?

Because Will James sucks. He was outperformed by both McKelvin and Corner, two rookies, in training camp and the preseason.

Because Will James sucks. He was outperformed by both McKelvin and Corner, two rookies, in training camp and the preseason.

Just saying that Perry will apparently give up the slant if we have any young corners out there. We saw the result. So if he is going to play it that way, why did he not keep any veteran corners who would not be so handcuffed.

While I agree with the well-analyzed criticisms of the pass defense on Sunday. I have to say that we do have to give Kurt Warner some credit for staying cool, patient and not making any mistakes considering how many time he put the ball in the air on Sunday. That he completed so many passes (over 30) and wound up with only about 250 yards passing tells you that the defensive gameplan of not giving up the big play was working. Indeed, considering how the Cards offense was scoring at will and our offense had really only sustained one long drive, it is worth noting that we were only down by a single TD early in the 3rd quarter.

That is why I am not TOO worried about the sub-par performance of the defense going forward. They are not going to face a QB that is in the zone the way Warner was too many times this year. Still, it should would be nice if our front 4 could get consistent pressure on the QB...

While I agree with the well-analyzed criticisms of the pass defense on Sunday. I have to say that we do have to give Kurt Warner some credit for staying cool, patient and not making any mistakes considering how many time he put the ball in the air on Sunday. That he completed so many passes (over 30) and wound up with only about 250 yards passing tells you that the defensive gameplan of not giving up the big play was working. Indeed, considering how the Cards offense was scoring at will and our offense had really only sustained one long drive, it is worth noting that we were only down by a single TD early in the 3rd quarter.

That is why I am not TOO worried about the sub-par performance of the defense going forward. They are not going to face a QB that is in the zone the way Warner was too many times this year. Still, it should would be nice if our front 4 could get consistent pressure on the QB...

Actually, that's why you should be worried. The Bills will be facing QBs who, under little-pressure, can hit the wide open slant pattern, all day. Take for example, their next two opponents. I have to think that Rivers and Pennington would love to face that same D.

its ALWAYS been the weakness of this defense since the opener against Denver of last season. hit your big WRs for quick slants all day against us.

i dont know what they do to adjust and defend it. but im not getting paid the big bucks either.

Funny because I was going to say this also. It is a huge weakness of Fewell's defense. Last year, starting with and in huge fashion, Denver.

Skinny posts and slants killed us. Brandon Marshall and Javon Walker destroyed us last year in the opener, and we never adjusted.

0:)