Trent Edwards

I think if there's any doubt about Trent, the Bills should err on the side of caution and keep him on the sidelines. There's no sense in gambling with his career.

That said, if Losman starts, it shouldn't be that hard for San Diego to contain the Bills' offense. They should take away the long bomb to Evans (obviously), and probably put eight men in the box on the off chance that our offensive line provides some semblance of run blocking.

On offense, San Diego should strongly emphasize short to intermediate passes, thereby exploiting the cushions our CBs are coached to give their receivers. Our defense hasn't done a good job of stopping that kind of attack thus far, so they may as well exploit that weakness.

If Losman starts, and if San Diego does the above things--and does them reasonably well--I would expect it to come away with a win.

We need to win the San Diego game, it's as simple as that. If Trent can practice by Wednesday, looks effective, and is processing the offense, and says he is feeling good, than he has to play, put caution to the wind. JP has never beaten a good team in his career home or away, unless you want to count the Bengals at home two years ago. Sure he will hit a few passes downfield, but the game will probably be close going into the second half. And rest assured there will be at least half a dozen plays where he holds onto the ball way too long and takes an unnecessary sack, or misses a wide open guy in the flat because he has NO accuracy on his short passes. I absolutely dread him playing next Sunday. But if he does, the O line will have to step up bigtime. And honestly, I don't think they have the talent to do so. Edwards can win w/o a great O line because he is much more decisive, gets rid of the ball quickly and has tremendous accuracy.

What worries me on defense is that we have no answer for covering Antonio Gates. Whitner is too small, and was eaten up by Gates two years ago. Heck, Whitner got eaten up by John Carlson the Seahawks rookie tight end in the opening game. Did anyone else see that? Probably went unnoticed because of the score. He is too short to come tight ends down the field. We need Ko Simpson back to cover Gates. And there wideouts are big also, especially Vincent Jackson. To win, we are going to need a huge pass rush, and whoever plays QB will have to light it up. Both of our lines will have to be strong. I think we learn a lot about this team next Sunday.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend works at Oakley, Trent came in with his sister and asked how much the watches were ($650), said that was pretty pricey. My friend asked him how he was feeling, said he feels fine and will definitely be ready for SD.

My friend works at Oakley, Trent came in with his sister and asked how much the watches were ($650), said that was pretty pricey. My friend asked him how he was feeling, said he feels fine and will definitely be ready for SD.

You joined yesterday but waited until today to share this info? :devil:

again, the fallacy of trent 'keeping long drives' going was proven incorrect in another thread.

What the poster in that other thread missed is that Trent has been excellent at sustaining many-play drives when he's received at least decent pass protection. But thus far this season the offensive line has typically waited until late in the 3rd quarter to provide any pass protection at all. What we've typically seen in Trent's games this season is an offense that looked completely ineffective in the first half (when the line didn't block at all), followed by an offense that looked unstoppable in the 4th quarter (when the line blocks well).

What the poster in that other thread missed is that Trent has been excellent at sustaining many-play drives when he's received at least decent pass protection. But thus far this season the offensive line has typically waited until late in the 3rd quarter to provide any pass protection at all. What we've typically seen in Trent's games this season is an offense that looked completely ineffective in the first half (when the line didn't block at all), followed by an offense that looked unstoppable in the 4th quarter (when the line blocks well).

Let's hope from here on out the line plays better than it has, especially against the Cards.

My uncles barber played flag football with Trent last night and said he was fine. He was making great decisions and passed for 11 TD's. He did have problems throwing the deep ball though....

My uncles barber played flag football with Trent last night and said he was fine. He was making great decisions and passed for 11 TD's. He did have problems throwing the deep ball though....

:thumbdown: Well played!