Why, oh why, did we let go of Winfield?

Any rules experts watching? Bush fumbles, but has his facemask pulled prior to the fumble. The facemask was not called. If it was, would the Saints still lose possession?

Poor Hoculli can't catch a break.

I don't know what the ruling should be, but I really hate to think the fumble would still count. It can't.

Any rules experts watching? Bush fumbles, but has his facemask pulled prior to the fumble. The facemask was not called. If it was, would the Saints still lose possession?

no, since it was prior to the opponent recovering the ball, they would keep possession...

once the defense recovers the ball, any further fouls on the defense(which has become the offense) would result in NO losing possession and Minnesota being penalized from the spot of the foul...

The player that Antoine is now was not the player he was in Buffalo. He always covered and tackled really well, but he never made the plays and forced the turnovers here like he's doing in Minnesota. I think he made more interceptions his first year in Minnesota than he did all of his career in Buffalo, or its close. Someone should check that.

I'm not saying we should have let him go, he was one of my favorite players, but its not as if he was making those plays here and we let him walk.

no, since it was prior to the opponent recovering the ball, they would keep possession...

once the defense recovers the ball, any further fouls on the defense(which has become the offense) would result in NO losing possession and Minnesota being penalized from the spot of the foul...

Although not reviewable, one has to wonder if Bush would've fumbled had he not been facemasked. I don't think he would have. Greenway pulled it pretty good, turning his face. Not cool.

Two HUGE plays tonight - that sack/fumble recovery on Brees was sick!

I was thinking the same thing.

The player that Antoine is now was not the player he was in Buffalo. He always covered and tackled really well, but he never made the plays and forced the turnovers here like he's doing in Minnesota. I think he made more interceptions his first year in Minnesota than he did all of his career in Buffalo, or its close. Someone should check that.

I'm not saying we should have let him go, he was one of my favorite players, but its not as if he was making those plays here and we let him walk.

Linky

I'm not for overpaying for CB's, i.e. Nate Clements but in hindsight Winfield would have been worth it.

A big part of that is the way the corners where used, when Winfield played with the Bills. Don't you remember the soft coverage (10 yard cushions) the corners had to give on nearly every play?

Antoine Winfield left because he wanted to. He was tired of losing in Buffalo and wanted to go to a team that had a chance to make the playoffs. He was a great player. I remember one year he led the team in tackles. Truly amazing for a CB. He was the best CB we had for the last 20 years and he got away. ;)

A big part of that is the way the corners where used, when Winfield played with the Bills. Don't you remember the soft coverage (10 yard cushions) the corners had to give on nearly every play?

That's a fair assessment, IMO. Winfield and Clements skills were underutilitzed in Buffalo, and the zone tendencies of the Bills defenses have always made me wonder why they need to draft the best cover corners instead of just geting good zone corners later in the draft. Clements didn't really get an opportunity to show what he could do until the second half of 2006 when they let him match and move with the opponents best receiver. Winfield and Clements are their current teams defensive MVP's which IMO begs the question, if a guy is good enough to be your #1 pick, and performs up to that standard, then why are you letting them walk in FA and going back to the well in round 1 to replace them? Makes no sense.

When he left, they had Clements, a simialarly physical and effective player who was bigger, younger and had better ball skills. At the time it looked like they were making a choice, because Clements contract would come due in the middle of any long term deal Winfield got. But it turns out they just don't want to put their money where their mouth is(on draft day). Chances are McKelvin will not become the kind of player that Clements and Winfield are, but if he does, here's hoping they just close their eyes and sign the guy so they can move on and fill more important positions on draft day.