Biggest defensive concern

BillsVet

The Cover 2 is Buffalo's base defense, though not on every down and most around here understand that. What ought to worry Bills fans is the team yesterday could not execute the necessary elements of their base defense.

Pressure on the QB is more important in a C2/T2 defense from the DL than in any other defense. With 3 LB's dropping into short zone coverage, that's all there is to make the passer uncomfortable. Any decent C2 defense must has bonafide pass rushers. Indy with Freeney, Chicago with Alex Brown, and Tampa Bay years ago with Simeon Rice et al.

CB's in a C2 scheme must take responsibility in their zone. A C2 CB doesn't have to feature the pure speed like a man to man corner, but area quickness in a zone is paramount. They'll play off the LOS about 5-8 yards, and as in the Dallas game last year, yielded too much to a fine QB with excellent targets. Nothing changed from the first to fourth quarter there.

Lastly, a C2 scheme is beaten when it gives up too many yards on the ground. The running game is the secret to beating a C2 defense. Arizona didn't destroy them, but meshed an effective ground game with a potent short passing game. The idea is to force teams to throw into the teeth of a zone. Yesterday, the zone was soft and the results were poor.

I didn't expect Fewell to completely re-do his plan in the course of a quarter, half, or at the half. I did expect some tweaks, which didn't seem to occur. IMO, Fewell's had some huge lapses since becoming DC. I hope this is game was the exception and not the rule for his defense.

The Cover 2 is only really effective when a team can generate a pass rush with the front 4.

I prefer the zone blitz defense Dick Lebeau ran when he was here... terrific to watch, more fun than offense just about. But Fewell doesn't know it and its not DJ's style. If you are running it, BillsVet's post s are absolutely right.. problem Sunday was that Ko, McGee and Stroud were either out or playing hurt, which brought us back to last years defensive talent level... crappy. Without talented, fast guys flying through gaps (and Kyle Williams was doubled because STroud was hurt) the whole thing doesnt work well.

When a Cover-2 defensive team with a bunch of Def. guys out gets down 14-0, they almost always lose. The d -line has to be fast and quick and blowing upfield , and Stroud was hurt... he is the key . if he is dinged for the season, we are screwed, unless the Offense really gets going and gets us leads early...

I prefer the zone blitz defense Dick Lebeau ran when he was here... terrific to watch, more fun than offense just about. But Fewell doesn't know it and its not DJ's style. If you are running it, BillsVet's post s are absolutely right.. problem Sunday was that Ko, McGee and Stroud were either out or playing hurt, which brought us back to last years defensive talent level... crappy. Without talented, fast guys flying through gaps (and Kyle Williams was doubled because STroud was hurt) the whole thing doesnt work well.

When a Cover-2 defensive team with a bunch of Def. guys out gets down 14-0, they almost always lose. The d -line has to be fast and quick and blowing upfield , and Stroud was hurt... he is the key . if he is dinged for the season, we are screwed, unless the Offense really gets going and gets us leads early...

Stroud and Schoebel were both hurt all week and game time decisions

Stroud and Schoebel were both hurt all week and game time decisions

You may very well be the #1 excuse maker there is on ths board. Schobel's foot wasn't 100%, but then again, which NFL starter is 100% throughout the season, even week 5? He played the run half way decent a few times, so I guess on passing downs the foot hurt more. Right? How about trusting the front four to provide a pass rush was too much and the Bills must blitz regularly to make that happen.

The team is 4-1, but not without some big issues needing to be cleared up. I'm dismayed that the front four could not rush the passer, especially against an OL that wasn't anything to write home about. After the bye, Buffalo plays some teams with pretty decent O Lines, not the rag tag groups Seattle, Jacksonville, and St. Louis put out there.

No doubt about it, if we don't get this pass rush issue fixed, we are in serious trouble. The C2 zone will fall apart without pressure from those horses up front.

It seemed like we dropped into that base Tampa 2 in this game a lot more than the 4 previous weeks...I suppose thats because they anticipated a downfield passing game. But at some point, you have to scrap the zone, stop giving away those cushions on the outside and try playing some bump and run. Maybe a lack of confidence in the man-to-man coverage abilites of Youboty/McKelvin at this point in their careers stopped them from doing that. If thats the case, it may have also scared them away from blitzing a whole lot.

McGee may be more important to Fewell's schemes than previously acknowledged. With he and Greer on the outside, Youboty in the slot and McKelvin on the bench, the D is far better situated to change it up.

No doubt about it, if we don't get this pass rush issue fixed, we are in serious trouble. The C2 zone will fall apart without pressure from those horses up front.

It seemed like we dropped into that base Tampa 2 in this game a lot more than the 4 previous weeks...I suppose thats because they anticipated a downfield passing game. But at some point, you have to scrap the zone, stop giving away those cushions on the outside and try playing some bump and run. Maybe a lack of confidence in the man-to-man coverage abilites of Youboty/McKelvin at this point in their careers stopped them from doing that. If thats the case, it may have also scared them away from blitzing a whole lot.

McGee may be more important to Fewell's schemes than previously acknowledged. With he and Greer on the outside, Youboty in the slot and McKelvin on the bench, the D is far better situated to change it up.

Exactly. With Both McGee and Ko out, and Stroud ineffective, they had to go vanilla and hope the Offense could produce TDs to AZ's field goals. Didn't happen.

The good and bad with this scheme were on full display Sunday. The good is that is that it does effectively prevent the big play. That means that it will take an opposing offense more snaps to get into scoring position -- which ordinarily means more chances for the opponent to make a mistake. Give Kurt Warner and the Cardinals some major credit for playing almost error free. He was patient and took what the defense gave him -- and was also quick to get the ball out of his hand.

I think the reason that there were fewer blitzes is because the Cardinals used so many multi-WR sets, and Jauron was frightened of getting burned in the event that the blitzers didn't get there. It's the same failed fear strategy that he always seems to employ against Brady, who like Warner (at least the Warner we saw on Sunday) is patient, accurate and decisive enough to pick the defense apart. It certainly would help if the CBs would occasionally play closer to the line and get a jam here and there to disrupt the quick slants. It would also help if the front 4 could get some pressure WITHOUT having to rely on the blitz.

You may very well be the #1 excuse maker there is on ths board. Schobel's foot wasn't 100%, but then again, which NFL starter is 100% throughout the season, even week 5? He played the run half way decent a few times, so I guess on passing downs the foot hurt more. Right? How about trusting the front four to provide a pass rush was too much and the Bills must blitz regularly to make that happen.

The team is 4-1, but not without some big issues needing to be cleared up. I'm dismayed that the front four could not rush the passer, especially against an OL that wasn't anything to write home about. After the bye, Buffalo plays some teams with pretty decent O Lines, not the rag tag groups Seattle, Jacksonville, and St. Louis put out there.

You are calling me an excuse maker when all I did was add in that Schobel was also hurt too and a game time decision, along with Stroud, someone you mentioned was not playing 100%

The extent of Schobels injury isn't fully known to the public right now, and he sat out part of the 4th Quarter whne the game became out of hand. He is also not going to practice much during the Bye.

What excuse was I trying to make?

You are calling me an excuse maker when all I did was add in that Schobel was also hurt too and a game time decision, along with Stroud, someone you mentioned was not playing 100%

The extent of Schobels injury isn't fully known to the public right now, and he sat out part of the 4th Quarter whne the game became out of hand. He is also not going to practice much during the Bye.

What excuse was I trying to make?

It seems like whenever the team isn't playing up to snuff, you're the first one there to say there was a reason.

I didn't mention Stroud, but he was banged up. Every guy in that locker room, with the exception of Hamdan and the PS guys are hurting.

Injuries weren't the reason on defense for their poor play. The scheme is unimaginative and I've got to wonder if PF can adapt his scheme to his players, not vice-versa. Coaching needs to improve yesterday.