Hit on Edwards dirty?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The league also sent a letter to Wilson warning him that another hit like that would bring stiffer penalties. Wilson has been called for more personal fouls since 2001 than any other player in the league. He was not penalized for the hit on Edwards

The league also sent a letter to Wilson warning him that another hit like that would bring stiffer penalties. Wilson has been called for more personal fouls since 2001 than any other player in the league. He was not penalized for the hit on Edwards

:devil:

I agree if what you really mean is, he wasn't penalized SIMPLY for the hit on Edwards and that the severity of the penalty was influenced by his past. But, if the league suggests that a similar hit to the one on Edwards would bring stiffer penalties, then I have to guess they believe the hit on Edwards deserves some fine.

I guess I need to ask everyone and the NFL who thought Wilson drove Trent into the ground, what should Wilson have done?

I mean Trent still had the ball as Wilson started his tackle technique while running full speed. He hit him shoulder pad to chest, helmet to armpit, wrapped his arms in perfect tackling form and his body weight carried both of them to the ground.

What should Wilson have done, what could he have done? I don't think he could have done anything different, and just because the NFL fined him doesn't mean he did anything wrong. I don't care what the rules say, there is a whole lot of gray area there. The NFL picks and chooses based on that time of the month, so everyone here knows that was subjective.

I had no problem with the hit, Trent has a helmet and shoulder pads on too!

I guess I need to ask everyone and the NFL who thought Wilson drove Trent into the ground, what should Wilson have done?

I mean Trent still had the ball as Wilson started his tackle technique while running full speed. He hit him shoulder pad to chest, helmet to armpit, wrapped his arms in perfect tackling form and his body weight carried both of them to the ground.

What should Wilson have done, what could he have done? I don't think he could have done anything different, and just because the NFL fined him doesn't mean he did anything wrong. I don't care what the rules say, there is a whole lot of gray area there. The NFL picks and chooses based on that time of the month, so everyone here knows that was subjective.

I had no problem with the hit, Trent has a helmet and shoulder pads on too!

Not sure of your real question...but...he could have refrained from DRIVING him into the ground. Have you ever tackled anyone? After contact, even if that contact is while you are airborne, you have control over much of your body, including your arms. Once you know the pass is thrown, you might as well relax your body, let up, etc.

Not sure of your real question...but...he could have refrained from DRIVING him into the ground. Have you ever tackled anyone? After contact, even if that contact is while you are airborne, you have control over much of your body, including your arms. Once you know the pass is thrown, you might as well relax your body, let up, etc.

Thank you, that is exactly what happened. He drove his entire weight into Trent's chest as he landed, it was absolutely intentional and the league has made it clear this is not legal in today's NFL. Why a few knuckleheads at TBD can''t see/understand this I have no idea.

Nothing wrong with that hit imo and you can talk until you're blue in the face, it won't change my opinion.

Edwards jumping in the air before he got hit had more to do with him getting concussed than Wilson driving him into the turf.

Nothing wrong with that hit imo and you can talk until you're blue in the face, it won't change my opinion.

Edwards jumping in the air before he got hit had more to do with him getting concussed than Wilson driving him into the turf.

There wasn't anything wrong with the hit. What occurred AFTER the hit, is what is being penalized.

Yes I have tackled people and while in the midst of tackling I was only trying to get the tacklee to the ground as soon as possible any way I could do it.

Have you ever heard the phrase the minute your not going 100% and let up is the minute your going to get hurt? Letting up in the middle of a textbook tackle is not an option, you can't just let up, there is just not enough time, I don't care what the rules say. It's easy to critique by watching on tv, but in the middle of a tackle, you don't think oh my god I've got to let up. That's just crazy talk to even think you could possibly do that in less than a half second.

IMO that was a BS fine by the NFL. Anyway the league can make an extra buck, by god they will do it. Even if that means fining their own on suspect calls. The league is a joke. It's all about money, nothing will ever change.

Have you ever heard the phrase the minute your not going 100% and let up is the minute your going to get hurt? Letting up in the middle of a textbook tackle is not an option, you can't just let up, there is just not enough time, I don't care what the rules say. It's easy to critique by watching on tv, but in the middle of a tackle, you don't think oh my god I've got to let up. That's just crazy talk to even think you could possibly do that in less than a half second.

Bruce Smith did it all the time. On many occasions he could have delivered a full blow, and administered the maximum amount of punishment, but lightened up AFTER making initial contact.

Hey, I'm not crazy about the rule myself, and I see instances where guys who had no opportunity to stop, get fined. IMO, Wilson decided to intensify his hit with drilling. He could have easily pulled off of that, IMO.

:rolleyes:

I didn't even have to watch a replay to see Wilson's facemask driving Trent's head backwards with great force. UNNECESSARY force. I saw Trent's eyes close and thought for sure he was knocked out. Then I made the comment in the thread I was in that Wilson intended to injure him and deserved a fine and a suspension. Since then a whole lot of so-called sports fans have chimed in and accused me of wishing for "girlie football" and all sorts of crap. Glad the League rubbed it in your faces so I don't have to. :rolleyes:

One can tell by his choice of screen name that Mr. Dawg likes to flex his muscles and beat his chest by pretending that he is tough. It is, alas, not uncommon among football fans. I am sure that it scares all the kids at recess.

lol...I havent made a negative comment about anyone other than that this thread is stupid. Yet, you feel the need to make personal insults, yet I am the one someone called out to the oh so scary thread police...classic... :thumbsup:

FYI, I played LB and played through college all 4 years as a starter (we were ranked 2 of the 4 years I was there) at a reasonable level until I blew my knee out 5 games into my senior year. Since high school you are taught to finish tackles just like that, and that play isnt even a penalty or second thought at any other level other than the NFL.

The point is, all of you are the biggest hypocrits I have seen because not one of you would be crying about this if this was Poz or Whitner who hit Warner and you know it...

That is why this thread is lame...not to mention, it has zero impact or relevance to the Buffalo Bills...and I promise you Wilson could care less too...

And to you Lori, this thread went pages and pages without my input and most replies are not to my posts, so thanks for your insightful claim that my posts kept the thread going, I would love to take the credit, but its unfortunately not true.

And to Mr. Steely Dan, I bet the only level of football you have played is touch with your beer belly friends and you cry when they push you too hard and you fall down and bump your weee lil elbow...Anyone who has played defense at a reasonable level knows you are taught to follow through and finish your tackles just like this and I promise you that our defense is being coached to do the same thing...

Its all good though, keep the post going, it amuses me...next attack please...

PS: I seriously did love the comment of scaring the kids at recess...it was pretty funny and I printed it out and pinned it up on the bulletin board in the office of the non profit I am on the board of directors for that works with at risk youths in our cities and turns them into leaders in their lives and communities...they always tease me for looking scary but being a big softy (I am 6'5 and 260 lbs)...they really did find it funny...so thanks for the bulletin board material...keep it coming.

lol...I havent made a negative comment about anyone other than that this thread is stupid. Yet, you feel the need to make personal insults, yet I am the one someone called out to the oh so scary thread police...classic... :thumbsup:

FYI, I played LB and played through college all 4 years as a starter (we were ranked 2 of the 4 years I was there) at a reasonable level until I blew my knee out 5 games into my senior year. Since high school you are taught to finish tackles just like that, and that play isnt even a penalty or second thought at any other level other than the NFL.

The point is, all of you are the biggest hypocrits I have seen because not one of you would be crying about this if this was Poz or Whitner who hit Warner and you know it...

That is why this thread is lame...not to mention, it has zero impact or relevance to the Buffalo Bills...and I promise you Wilson could care less too...

And to you Lori, this thread went pages and pages without my input and most replies are not to my posts, so thanks for your insightful claim that my posts kept the thread going, I would love to take the credit, but its unfortunately not true.

And to Mr. Steely Dan, I bet the only level of football you have played is touch with your beer belly friends and you cry when they push you too hard and you fall down and bump your weee lil elbow...Anyone who has played defense at a reasonable level knows you are taught to follow through and finish your tackles just like this and I promise you that our defense is being coached to do the same thing...

Its all good though, keep the post going, it amuses me...next attack please...

PS: I seriously did love the comment of scaring the kids at recess...it was pretty funny and I printed it out and pinned it up on the bulletin board in the office of the non profit I am on the board of directors for that works with at risk youths in our cities and turns them into leaders in their lives and communities...they always tease me for looking scary but being a big softy (I am 6'5 and 260 lbs)...they really did find it funny...so thanks for the bulletin board material...keep it coming.

Whoa, I didn't realize we were talking with a football god here, well excuse us (sarcasm!!!). Okay, if you say this is a lame thread, then it really must be a lame thread?!

You are right about finishing tackles, there's nothing wrong with finishing your tackles. But the NFL put rules into effect to protect it's players. Call it wussy, wimpy or whatever, but how many players careers were ended because of concussions? I can name 3 HOF's, Jim Kelly, Steve Young & Troy Aikman.

I think everyone loves seeing a good hit, but no one wants to see anyone get a bad injury.

Like I said, if you have a problem with the rules the NFL set up about hits on the QB, take it up with them. Stop bitching & moaning that people on here are discussing a hit that knocked out our QB. If you don't like the topic, don't read it, plain & simple.

I think more than enough has been said on both sides (dirty/not dirty).

I really respect Edwards' attitude & demeanor when he said it's not his place to comment on whether the hit was dirty or clean, and even the Jason Peters saga. Edwards is a true class act, and an awesome QB. Let's all hope he won't take anymore bad hits like that.