ESPN: Corey McIntyre in, Darian Barnes out at FB

Lori

Don't feel too bad for him. He was limited but made almost $612K for half a year's work.

How big was his signing bonus? Four game checks @ $612,000 translated over 16 games would put his 2008 contract at $2.4 million. Somehow that seems too large to me....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big was his signing bonus? Four game checks @ $612,000 translated over 16 games would put his 2008 contract at $2.4 million. Somehow that seems too large to me....

I was thinking that he meant since he was on the opening day roster as a veteran, his entire paycheck was guaranteed.

Signed a one-year, $605,010 contract. 2009: Free Agent

Interesting move. They can't cut him if he's hurt unless they pay an injury settlement, correct?

Is it possible they cut him, because they need the roster spot, but plan to bring him back later. He might be a little banged up and was going to miss a few weeks.

He is not really a risk to be picked up by anybody, and they can just cut McIntyre once he gets back. I am sure it would not cost them too much.

I was thinking that he meant since he was on the opening day roster as a veteran, his entire paycheck was guaranteed.

Yep. And in addition to his salary, he got a small ($6,720K) bonus, probably for working-out with the team or something like that. According to Clumpy's numbers.

Yep. And in addition to his salary, he got a small ($6,720K) bonus, probably for working-out with the team or something like that. According to Clumpy's numbers.

I think that any player who is on the roster for two games gets a full season pay (whether they are on the opening day roster or not). The NFLPA insisted upon this so that teams would not get in the business of signing and cutting players as a mechanism for avoiding cash payouts. Barnes will do quite well financially even if he is cut.

He was a real character.

That he was, but I have to agree I was questioning his blocking contributions towards the Bills' running game.

You've got to hand it to the guy for giving up his body, though. I recall a KO return in the Seattle game in which Barnes absolutely threw himself into a blocker -- most violent collision I've seen in a while.