Anyone else love the Whitner late hit on Higgins?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. Not a strong first post, IMO...but what the heck.

The Bills haven't used Whitner the way Indy does Sanders, as an example. He isn't allowed to free-lance the way many safeties are. He almost always has a primary responsibility. Because of this, he's not making the ESPN highlights you may equate with greatness.

Watch his total game and you will may better appreciate what he brings to the team.

It's obvious to me you don't understand the game. Having 1 PD and 1 Int for the last 2 years is horrible. He gets torched once a game for 20 yards by a receiver. It may not be a touchdown, but when he's in coverage the ball goes that way and he plays so far off the receiver it's usually for a 1st down. You just think you understand, but you can't name me one safety who is so inept in coverage who is considered good. Not one and I challenge you.

I watched him all his years here and he showed more in his first 2 games than he has the rest of his career in passing. He's so bend but not break in the passing game he just wants the opposing O not to score on him, but get them to the goal line to rack up tackles. You know if he did the good job of 8 PDs and 2 Int he wouldn't have as many tackles as the D would be off the field. I know you never thought about that, but changing positions in the game mean less stats.

#1, you claimed he was too slow to catch Higgins. I conceed he took a bad angle. What Ss would have caught Higgins after he already had that distance between he and the SS.

#2 You don't understand Whitner's role in this defense, obviously. I suggest you go watch more football.

#1 I never said catch him, but make an attempt to get closer through natural burst. He ran with all his heart, but he physically isn't fast enough. Watch his interception against Miami where the offensive lineman is running with Whitner and almost catches him. He may have run X in the 40, but he's not football fast. You should watch someone fast at the SS position to understand this. Brian Dawkins, Polamalu, Sharper, Williams, etc. break up literally 10 times more passes.

#2 I know his role, but he gets one big pass play against him a game. He gets a mulligan because he's decent-pretty good in the run game. If I actually recorded games of the Bills I could point out every game where he gets torched for 1 to 2 big pass plays a game, and probably a few more smaller ones. Don't let a good fiction get in the way. He's a liability and plays soft in the secondary in coverage, but hits like a bastard when he can get his hands on you. Problem is you probably already have the football.

Roy Williams has been to 5 pro bowls yet is terrible in pass coverage. His own teammates make fun of his coverage skills.

You make an excellent point. Last year he was taken out of many 3rd down situations and still managed 5 passes defended and 2 Ints. The year before that when he played on 3rd down he had 9 passes defended and 5 Ints.

Compare those numbers with 1 PDs and 1 Int last year and the same the year before that. If Roy Williams is made fun of why can't we fans who are not homers see the obvious? The guy gets 1 to 2 plays that are for 1st down every game for more than 10 yards. At least that many plays, and I've seen as many as 6 against him last year. I kept saying, "Why in the world doesn't he try to break up the pass?" He plays soft in coverage with a big cushion and then then tries to drill the guy after they catch the ball.

I would love to have a stat of how many yards were against him in coverage last year and this year. I would say at least 20-30%.

You make an excellent point. Last year he was taken out of many 3rd down situations and still managed 5 passes defended and 2 Ints. The year before that when he played on 3rd down he had 9 passes defended and 5 Ints.

Compare those numbers with 1 PDs and 1 Int last year and the same the year before that. If Roy Williams is made fun of why can't we fans who are not homers see the obvious? The guy gets 1 to 2 plays that are for 1st down every game for more than 10 yards. At least that many plays, and I've seen as many as 6 against him last year. I kept saying, "Why in the world doesn't he try to break up the pass?" He plays soft in coverage with a big cushion and then then tries to drill the guy after they catch the ball.

I would love to have a stat of how many yards were against him in coverage last year and this year. I would say at least 20-30%.

If someone was saying that Whitner is in the class of Sanders or Reed then i would have to say that they are homers...but if you are trying to say that Whitner is not a very good safety who has much room to improve then i have to assume that you must be a troll or you really have no idea what your talking about.

I actually think that was a key, if not THE key, turning point in the game.

:flirt: I just got in and cannot wait to read the rest of this thread. Donte Whitner is the heart of this team, and that hit was a statement. Beautiful play by Donte!

.....He's a liability.....

I can't make a personal assessment of DW since I really don't get to watch the games much.....but....

Most analysts have rated DW in the top 15 of all safeties since his rookie season......and that is after the #8 selection was universally lambasted.....and he has been playing not only for Buffalo but on a generally garbage D. Thats out of 64+ safeties not just the SSs. If the overall football world thinks he's pretty good, I'll go with that.

He's obviously not upper echelon.....but a liability???? :flirt:

Just read the MMQB article by King, and saw this tidbit:

"From this point forward, you should be clear on the following point: Any conduct that unnecessarily risks the safety of other players has no role in the game of football and will be disciplined at increased levels, including on a first offense. Playing by the rules shows respect for your fellow players. No one wants to see unnecessary injuries.''

--NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, in a memo to all teams and players the other day, informing them that he will ratchet up the penalties for things like helmet-to-helmet hits. He backed it up for suspending Tampa Bay defensive back Elbert Mack for one game for launching himself into Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan and hitting him helmet-to-helmet. Goodell didn't reduce the suspension on appeal.

To be clear on this, the NFL doesn't just mean helmet-to-helmet hits on the quarterback will be penalized. It's for every player and every position, and every kind of hit the league rules out of the realm of normal contact. That takes in a wide swath, and you can bet players will be howling over it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...21/Week3/2.html

So, is there a chance Whitner will be suspended for the hit? I would hope not, but....?

Just read the MMQB article by King, and saw this tidbit:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...21/Week3/2.html

So, is there a chance Whitner will be suspended for the hit? I would hope not, but....?

Nothing there about Whitner...did I miss it?

Surely you aren't talking about Goodell's statement. Whitner's tackle did nothing to "unnecessarily risks the safety of other players", it was simply a tackle. It was just a little late. :flirt:

Nothing there about Whitner...did I miss it?

Surely you aren't talking about Goodell's statement. Whitner's tackle did nothing to "unnecessarily risks the safety of other players", it was simply a tackle. It was just a little late. :flirt:

I quoted Goodell's statement, so yes, that's obviously what I'm talking about. :ph34r::worthy:

The tackle was in the back of the endzone, well after the TD was called, so depending on the league's view of "dangerous plays," it could fit. The receiver wasn't expecting to be tackled anymore since he had scored. With the NFL, who knows?

I quoted Goodell's statement, so yes, that's obviously what I'm talking about. :flirt::ph34r:

The tackle was in the back of the endzone, well after the TD was called, so depending on the league's view of "dangerous plays," it could fit. The receiver wasn't expecting to be tackled anymore since he had scored. With the NFL, who knows?

How did I miss that quote? :worthy:

I can't see that being a suspension. But, I guess you never know.

His heart was in the right place ... but his head was up his a$$ ... he's lucky that he didn't get a penalty or booted out of the game ... maybe he'll get a fine, but I doubt he'll get a suspension.

I would rather see the Bills D make a statement by not getting burned.

His heart was in the right place ... but his head was up his a$$ ... he's lucky that he didn't get a penalty or booted out of the game ... maybe he'll get a fine, but I doubt he'll get a suspension.

He got penalized, it was offset by taunting by the Raiders.

I didn't have a problem with Whitner. He made a statement to the Raiders and to his teammates and the rest of the league. Noone is going to taunt us in our house, no matter how bad the defense might break down on a particular play. He said scoring the TD is fine but taunting us while scoring the TD, no way!