I have an idea the NFL can promote for hispanic heritage month

ACor58

bigot.

I am not against immigration and I think that the hispanic population is important to the fabric of our country. I do, however, feel strongly that the citizens (and non-citizens who are not here legally) of this country speak the native language.

I am not against immigration and I think that the hispanic population is important to the fabric of our country. I do, however, feel strongly that the citizens (and non-citizens who are not here legally) of this country speak the native language.

My parents didnt speak English and had to learn. Why then do we cater to certain ethnic groups? The government, state, local and federal is in a quandry over the current financial situation. Here's a thought, print everything in one language, I'll bet that saves a bundle by itself. Require that english is the language of the land and eliminate the need for translators. I doubt very seriously that you would recieve the same accomadations in a foreign country.

How about this:

It's in no way, shape, or form the responsibility of the NFL to ensure that Latino immigrants learn english.

If a few commercials in Spanish help to sell some tickets and some t-shirts, then the NFL accomplishes it's goal- RUNNING A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS.

As Michael Jordan famously said, after refusing to support a black political candidate in his home state: "Republicans buy sneakers, too." The NFL doesn't care what language you speak. Just be sure to watch the games, buy some tickets, and buy some merchandise.

My grandfather came over from Poland in 1912. He was 24 when he did come here. He said he knew only a few words when he came here. This was before even radio was invented. He said there were no classes for immigrants to learn English. You just did or didn't survive. He learned by reading the paper and talking to people. He wasn't educated but had a long (40 year) career as a tinsmith at Buffalo Forge and raised a family of 9 kids. Like he said, if you come here, learn the language.

So in buffalo we should all speak Seneca?

The United States of America has no official language. The Hispanic people of this nation have the right to speak THEIR native language in both social and professional situations. By law, their children have the right to be taught in Spanish as well. Research shows that by the year 2030, whites will no longer be a majority in this country. In other words, there may come a time when you have to defend your own right to speak English. Would you appreciate it if Hispanic people tried to strong-arm you into speaking Spanish?

The United States of America has no official language. The Hispanic people of this nation have the right to speak THEIR native language in both social and professional situations. By law, their children have the right to be taught in Spanish as well. Research shows that by the year 2030, whites will no longer be a majority in this country. In other words, there may come a time when you have to defend your own right to speak English. Would you appreciate it if Hispanic people tried to strong-arm you into speaking Spanish?

Seriously...this is why I have my 16yo son in his 3rd year of HS Spanish.

If they would speak English as a first language we wouldn't have to worry about it.

That is not my point. I'm saying that you don't know what it feels like to have people criticize you for not fluently knowing a second language. A language is a very difficult thing to learn, especially if you start as an adult.

Why are they responsible for learning English and being able to communicate with us and not the other way around? I believe that Spanish speakers making a concerted effort to learn English would be positive for our society. But English speakers have to take the exact same step and learn Spanish. We shouldn't be espousing a double standard like this, particularly with the changing landscape of American demographics.

That is not my point. I'm saying that you don't know what it feels like to have people criticize you for not fluently knowing a second language. A language is a very difficult thing to learn, especially if you start as an adult.

Why are they responsible for learning English and being able to communicate with us and not the other way around? I believe that Spanish speakers making a concerted effort to learn English would be positive for our society. But English speakers have to take the exact same step and learn Spanish. We shouldn't be espousing a double standard like this, particularly with the changing landscape of American demographics.

Shiv da freaking Gringo, Mang!!!!

If they would speak English as a first language we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Having grown up in Buffalo in the 40's thru the 70's there was always a good ethnic mix in the city.

The difference is that; you didn't have to speak Polish at Broadway/Fillmore, Italian on the West Side, Gaelic in S. Buffalo, Lackawanna -take your pick- etc. etc.

Anyone who immigrated to the USA - Buffalo included - could chose to speak English, or not. Many of the older people kept their "native" languages and we're still all OK. I've been gone a long time and don't know if WWOL is still around but it used to be almost all Polish and that was OK.

The problem arises when you have a group of immigrants who insist on special treatment such as all the bi-lingual programs etc., all at tax payer expense.

If anyone wants to live here they need to either learn the language or have their kids translate for them. The Government has no obligation to make sure everyone understands what's going on. No matter where in the world you live, you either learn enough of the language to survive or suffer the consequences.