Game notes from Saturday

VABills

I went to the game Saturday and just got back into town. So the one and only thing I have to say is "WOW, our Oline sucks."

Top to bottom, these guys were getting pushed around, beaten and generally outplayed on every level by the Titans.

Other then that, JP didn't look good. He has happy feet and is looking to run to quickly. His arm didn't seem that strong on the one out pattern that almost was picked for a TD. His field awareness was horrible, IMHO.

Drew and Travis Brown, both looked okay considering they had no time to throw the damn ball.

TH looked good on the one run. Man, did he get decked. Drew hung him out on the play. You could see it coming a mile away.

Willis, looked okay for the first few plays when he came in, but when the 2nd/3rd string line cam in, there wasn't a hole to be sniffed.

Evans, he has a lot to learn. I am not sure he is ready for primetime. Seemed to have a hard time getting open. Reed just seems to be way ahead of him right now.

Ken Simonton, should make the team. He did fairly well considering the terrible blocking.

Mcgee is a lock for return man.

Kevin Thomas looked good. He ran down the play on the roll out. He seems to have good speed. He looked good in run coverage support as well as pass coverage, but I think Mcgee is the nickle.

Lindell should be okay, but..........................

Did I say Drew really laid Travis out to dry on that pass? That wasn't fair to Travis.

Agree...unless the O-line improves it will be a long injury filled year.

JP...he has shown that he can make that throw. His deep out in the Denver game was on a rope. This one...I think those happy feet got in his way.

DB has 'taken the hit' for THs injury. That's the stand up thing to do, but as you say, you could see it from a mile away. Now...do something about it Drew.

That ball was tipped by defender so path was altered by tip hence Drew did not lay out Travis to dry.

Oh and Oh Henry fumbled again. You neglected to mention that,

Did I say Drew really laid Travis out to dry on that pass?  That wasn't fair to Travis.

5523[/snapback]

Give me a break. You can't put that on Drew. The pass was a little behind him but stevestojan happens. You people act like Drew intentionally put Henry out like that. Maybe it's a big conspiracy to get McGahee the starting RB spot. :w00t:

Preseason or not, Tennessee is one of the best teams in the league on both sides of the ball. The Bills are not at their level yet (1st stringers that is).

I think you're a little harsh on JP. For a rook, he's out there making plays and completing some passes. That's better than many young QB's in their first experience. He can only get better. I agree that he runs too much and he WILL BE another RJ if he continues to get blasted on every run instead of sliding or getting out of bounds. Even Mike Vick has come to the realization that he can't rely on his legs in the NFL.

Willis looked tentative to me. Not very impressive., but he does have an uncanny knack for getting into the endzone when we're down inside the five. Take note fantasy football players!

Simonton has a pretty good burst through the hole. If he can play some special teams you gotta keep him.

That ball was tipped by defender so path was altered by tip hence Drew did not lay out Travis to dry.

Oh and Oh Henry fumbled again.  You neglected to mention that,

5533[/snapback]

This was my one be nice to Henry thread since he was hurt. I didn't see any replays, so I didn't know it was tipped. Looked like Drew threw it a little behind him and made him slow up to get Rosened.

As has been said, on the pass to Henry, the ball was tipped by a defender so Drew didn't "hang Travis out to dry" per se. He did however take blame for getting him injured, and I'm sure you could argue that Travis has laid Drew "out to dry" with poor blitz pickups. Drew also took the blame for putting the ball on Travis' hip, which led to the fumble, and if a RB loses the football just after the handoff, the rule is it's always the fault of the QB.

As for Losman, he was playing with 3rd stringers, behind a 3rd string O-line. I can't blame him for having happy feet and it probably kept him from getting killed. And his arm strength is great. To even question that is ridiculous.

Lastly, WRT the O-line, since it was just the 2nd time in all of training camp/pre-season they were together as a unit (the other time was last Tuesday), I'll give them a pass, mostly since Bledsoe wasn't sacked and Henry averaged close to 4 YPC. They better look better this weekend, which is the dress rehearsal for the season, as they say.

As has been said, on the pass to Henry, the ball was tipped by a defender so Drew didn't "hang Travis out to dry" per se.  He did however take blame for getting him injured, and I'm sure you could argue that Travis has laid Drew "out to dry" with poor blitz pickups.  Drew also took the blame for putting the ball on Travis' hip, which led to the fumble, and if a RB loses the football just after the handoff, the rule is it's always the fault of the QB. 

As for Losman, he was playing with 3rd stringers, behind a 3rd string O-line.  I can't blame him for having happy feet and it probably kept him from getting killed.  And his arm strength is great.  To even question that is ridiculous.

Lastly, WRT the O-line, since it was just the 2nd time in all of training camp/pre-season they were together as a unit (the other time was last Tuesday), I'll give them a pass, mostly since Bledsoe wasn't sacked and Henry averaged close to 4 YPC.  They better look better this weekend, which is the dress rehearsal for the season, as they say.

5553[/snapback]

Hey, you're right, Drew didn't get sacked. Wow. :w00t:

I have to disagree that the fumble was Drew's fault. Travis took several steps with the ball before fumbling it. He fumbled it because a defender put a hand right on it and pushed it right out. Drew said that to cover Travis' ass, IMO.

I almost forgot.  When did our fans become so ignorant about the game?  What's with the wave when our offense was on the field?

5571[/snapback]

It was kids night. They love the wave and could care less who is on the field (unless it was one of the Weebles or something crazy like that :w00t: ).

It was kids night. They love the wave and could care less who is on the field (unless it was one of the Weebles or something crazy like that :w00t: ).

5581[/snapback]

It was great watching the halftime game. Seneca was one of my old rivals in Little League.

It was great watching the halftime game.  Seneca was one of my old rivals in Little League.

5588[/snapback]

That was funny. I loved how the one kid did the "Lambeau Leap" when he scored. I also couldn't believe how the Sabers mascot was just THROWING those kids around! I could almost hear him laughing as he drove the little kids' faces into the turf.

:w00t:

That was funny. I loved how the one kid did the "Lambeau Leap" when he scored. I also couldn't believe how the Sabers mascot was just THROWING those kids around! I could almost hear him laughing as he drove the little kids' faces into the turf.

:w00t:

5599[/snapback]

Yeah, there was a couple good hits there. That one along the sideline on the first series, the mascots did get rough. But the kids gang tackle one of the characters and made him pay on that next set of downs.

I thought the line was OK. Titans have a good team and line held it's own. They aren't "good" yet but they didn't suck. Teague, CV and Jonas had good games -- Smith had good moments and didn't make any big mistakes, while Big Mike looked OK but he's about a week or two behind physically and mentally -- but much better than Game 1.

Drew - pass was tipped, simple as that. Also, wasn't a perfect hand-off but Henry should have adjusted in three steps. It's typical no-fault football injury.

Thought Losman looked great for a rookie playing in his second pre-season game. Made one bad read on the near interception but that's to be expected - and while I'll never know I had the feeling Losman thought he could rifle it it (and almost did) in the confident "gun slinger" way Kelly played - most QBs couldn't even make that throw. The guy consistantly makes positive plays, clearly is a leader, a competitor and no doubt has a tremendous gun. Don't know where you were sitting but maybe the angle didn't demonstrate the zip on his ball. Even the Titan announcers (and the Denver guys the game before -- as well as Shannahan's sideline comments) said he had a very accurate gun and a terrific runner.

I think by demonstrating he's a threat to run for big chunks of yardage the defense must be cautious on their pass rush and coverage. Many QBs are not a threat to run and throw the deep ball. Once Losman gets a feel for the plays and runs through his options two, three thousand more times he'll know when to run and when to pass.

>>>Did I say Drew really laid Travis out to dry on that pass? That wasn't fair to Travis.<<<<<

This happens during the course of a game. It is football. If anyone is to blame it's Fat Mike for whiffing on his block that forced Drew to scramble.

At least Drew has stood up to it. Brings to mind a certain midget QB here in the past. I seem to remember him totally laying Thurman Thomas out on just a bad play totally attributable to him which resulted in TT's injury that season. The selfishness in flutie never allowed him to stand up to that one, and if he ever had any respect of his teammates I think he lost it there. Drew is displaying strong leadership qualities on this one and this will go a long way in that locker room.

What makes you think Winfield would have been better, especially on the jump ball to Calico in the EZ?

5834[/snapback]

I thought Vincent had pretty good coverage on the TD but I know that Winfield would have made the tackle after the catch on the other pass plays. Vincent was juked from his jock more than once.

Archived