some food for thought about opening day victories

dave mcbride

That's my point! Seriously, I do think they're a tough opponent, and are playoff caliber. It's a tough game for the Bills, and they played poorly there last year (although I do realize the lineup is quite different).

I am heartened by the fact that they kept it close last year, despite being outmanned in terms of talent. The D can't spend the same amount of time on the field this year as last. I think Bills win a close one, with Edwards executing a broken bootleg on the last play :nana:

I am heartened by the fact that they kept it close last year, despite being outmanned in terms of talent. The D can't spend the same amount of time on the field this year as last. I think Bills win a close one, with Edwards executing a broken bootleg on the last play :nana:

Now THAT'S a nice reference!

I remember watching that game last year and feeling pretty good about our chances up until the 4th quarter when the wheels started coming off. I sincerely hope the heat is not getting to us late in the game. It sure seems like this is an upgraded, improved Bills team, and the Jags are hurting due to offensive line injuries in particular. Frankly, I'm expecting a hard fought win for the blue and red!

Why do you keep ignoring 2003? I know it was a woefully painful season to live through, but it should account for the stats. Especially that Jax was week 2 opponent, we were riding high on a rebuilt defense anchored by a new DT & LB, still had questions about the running game and the QB.

Ok, I'll stop now.

You are right, Gerry. I blocked out 2003. Still, I think that winning the opener has more often meant good news than bad, and will cling to that even as I worry every week...

It's the lot of a Bills fan!

What is the percentage of teams that make the playoffs after winning their opening day game? It's pretty high from what I recall.

I'm thinking the team that wins most of their games will go to the playoffs. I haven't looked it up on the internet but I'm pretty sure from memory that is how it works.

I'm thinking the team that wins most of their games will go to the playoffs. I haven't looked it up on the internet but I'm pretty sure from memory that is how it works.

True. And I heard that you win most of your games by, now hang with me here for a second, scoring more points than your opponent. :nana:

No, you need to draft more defensive linemen than your opponent. This emphasis on the score is just following the ball, and real experts never do that.

No no no. You have to draft them in the first round. But not at that draft spot. Nor that one.