Bizarre story about Vince Young

bills44

While I agree with much of what you posted, I wouldn't necessarily say its because he "has always been an athletic freak". Texas primarily runs a shotgun, one-read offense (both during Vince's era here and the current Colt McCoy era). I think most Texas QBs are going to have issues transferring to the pros.

I agree, it's going to be very interesting to watch what happens when 80% of the college game is scripting some version of the spread offense and all of the QBs are operating the vast majority of the time out of the shotgun. Will it have a detrimental impact on pro-style quarterbacking in the NFL? Texas QBs in particular will struggle because of their run-pass option, but there are very few QBs who were in a predominantly shotgun offense in college- regardless of school- who made a successful adaptation to the pro game. Steve McNair is one of the few I can think of immediately.

However, with Vince, he has never in his football-playing life been forced to consider the possible outcomes of his decision making. He's been able to outrun and outthrow pretty much every defender he's ever faced. Do you really think he single-handedly won two straight Rose Bowls over Michigan and USC because of the relentless film study he did leading up to those games?? Hell no! He saw green grass, and he ran to it faster than anyone else could. Now, for the first time, he's dealing with not being the most athletic player on the field, game-in-game-out.

You mean all of these?

I was immediately thinking- off the top of my head when I wrote it- of Ricky Williams, Mike Williams, and Vince Young...Three incredibly talented top-5 draft picks who turned out to be pretty flakey dudes. That's a pretty impressive list of current Longhorns in the NFL, and I wasn't trying to say that Texas only produces busts...But let's be real, a 5th round pick doesn't have the financial luxury to decide "I'm not sure I want this" when it comes to their pro career. Texas has had three recent, top-5 picks who seem to have questionable heart.

What is it with these Longhorns???

I work at University Of Texas. Vince was here in Austin during the spring, taking classes. He came into our building about three or four times during the semester. The kid absolutely loves the attention he gets here in Austin. And, I think he is a genuinely good kid. But I think, in Tennessee, he is having a hard time dealing with constant criticism, and scrutiny. The expactations for him in Texas were pretty low, and then he went out and played one of the greatest games in NCAA championship history. He is a folk hero in Austin. The local CBS affiliate even took to bumping the Houston Texans every week, to show the Titans instead. I am not even necessarilly a huge Longhorns fanatic (I pull for them to do well, but I don't live and die with them), but I hope all turns out well for Young.

Funny thing is, I had the same experience with Ricky Williams, Mike Williams, Chris Sims, and Shaun Rogers. All good guys, maybe not be super mature, who have disappointed some at the pro level. No crime...just get healthy! Being mentally healthy is as important as physical health, even for athletes.

You mean all of these?

Not to pick nits, but why does a list titled "Active Longhorns in the NFL" have a bunch of retired players on there? I understand they are probably still active as coaches, scouts, etc., but that seems a bit misleading. I would think those guys who be better off listed on this list or the very least this list should be re-titled.

dance around shirtless all night

After seeing those pictures in the off-season, I wonder if the guy is tired of living a lie -- trying to be someone he is not and the stress is getting to him.

OTOH, it is silly for me or anyone else to wonder what is going on in his head. The people who are close to him are the ones who called the team when he took off, and I have to believe they know something about this situation that none of us know.

Not to pick nits, but why does a list titled "Active Longhorns in the NFL" have a bunch of retired players on there? I understand they are probably still active as coaches, scouts, etc., but that seems a bit misleading. I would think those guys who be better off listed on this list or the very least this list should be re-titled.

Hmm? The only two I see on that list that are currently anything other than active players are Jerry Gray and Alan Lowry (both coaches now). The dates refer to the time that they were at UT.

Hopefully he'll continue to want to play football.

Hmm? The only two I see on that list that are currently anything other than active players are Jerry Gray and Alan Lowry (both coaches now). The dates refer to the time that they were at UT.

Hopefully he'll continue to want to play football.

I guess I misunderstood the list or didn't look too in-depth at the dates. That's what happens when you're posting late, after working 11 hours.

Either way, I don't think I would have included the coaches on that list - I think I would have kept it for active NFL players only.

I don't want to say anything about VY personally, but I do wonder how much a case like this is indeed a reflection of what happens when young athletes have their lives smoothed out for them by others since the first time they showed athletic promise. Although many of them are able to figure things out, we see so many examples of how these guys have no sense of what it means to be an adult until they run into serious problems.

I believe having a gun without the will and means to actually use it is much more dangerous than not having any weapon. Pulling a gun has the very real possibility to seriously escalate a situation. Bluffing with a firearm is very dangerous, as the other party just might call your bluff. If you're going to pull it, you better be ready to use it.

Your absolutely right. Those were my thoughts exactly. You only pull a gun out for one reason, to shoot it. Pulling a gun in an altercation with no bullets is just plain stupid. What are you gonna do then when the other pulls their gun and has bullets. Hopefully your will is up to date.

As far as Vince Young goes, I wish him the best. I still think he can be a very good player in this league.

I work at University Of Texas. Vince was here in Austin during the spring, taking classes. He came into our building about three or four times during the semester. The kid absolutely loves the attention he gets here in Austin. And, I think he is a genuinely good kid. But I think, in Tennessee, he is having a hard time dealing with constant criticism, and scrutiny. The expactations for him in Texas were pretty low, and then he went out and played one of the greatest games in NCAA championship history. He is a folk hero in Austin. The local CBS affiliate even took to bumping the Houston Texans every week, to show the Titans instead. I am not even necessarilly a huge Longhorns fanatic (I pull for them to do well, but I don't live and die with them), but I hope all turns out well for Young.

Funny thing is, I had the same experience with Ricky Williams, Mike Williams, Chris Sims, and Shaun Rogers. All good guys, maybe not be super mature, who have disappointed some at the pro level. No crime...just get healthy! Being mentally healthy is as important as physical health, even for athletes.

No offense intended, but he plays in Tennessee. Not Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cleveland or Buffalo where the focus is 24/7 on football or NY or CHI with the constant media presence. If he can't handle a couple of reporters and a little bit of booing, he really should not play football for a living.