2005 Hall Of Fame Prelims Announced

Even though some only played for us for a year, they are listed. Here are the Buffalo Bills Players up for the HOF this year:

Haven Moses

Kent Hull

Fred Smerlas

Darryl Talley

Chris Spielman

Lemar Parrish

Steve Tasker

Chuck Knox

Ralph Wilson Jr

And here are the NFL players up for the HOF for the first year:

Dan Marino

Steve Young

Michael Irvin

Nate Newton

Charles Haley

Kevin Greene

Derrick Thomas

Steve Atwater

Dan Reeves

Rest of the list can be found here:

HOF List

I know Hull is a long shot, but he does deserve to be nominated. He played for the Bills for 11 years and both he and the team enjoyed success during that time.

Hull's success: 3 Pro Bowls

The Bills' success: 8 winning seasons, 4 consecutive Super Bowls

He's as deserving a candidate as anyone.

My guess is that the HOF will go with Dan Marino, Steve Young, Michael Irvin, LC Greenwood and Richard Dent.

Although I'd LOVE to see Hull go in place of Irvin or Dent.

79766[/snapback]

Marino and Young are locks obviously...

I think #3 is Derrick Thomas though...Considering what happened, and the fact he may have been the 2nd best Pass Rushing OLB ever after LT...

I'm not so sure Irvin is a 1st ballot guy for a couple reasons. 1st of all, his past off field activity may hurt him. And secondly, the way WR's are being judged nowadays, he may have to wait a year or two. I think no doubt he gets in eventually...

Dent is a good possibilty, and I think Greene and Haley will get in sooner or later...It's a REAL tough group to cut down, that's for certain. Which in turn does not bode well for the Bills nominees unfortunately...I think Hull, Spielman, Ralph, and Tasker are all deserving...Hopefully they will all get in eventually...

I will never be able to understand why so many voters dismiss Tasker...The criteria has always been defined by dominating at your position for a decade (or close to 10 years) supposedly. I think Tasker more than fits that mold. The guy made Game changing plays, and may have been the most respected Bills talent (at times) on those Teams. Plus later in his career he was a VERY solid WR and a good Punt Returner. It would be a great gesture by the writers to vote in a Special Teams guy, and Tasker was as Special as they come IMHO... B)

Man, would I love to see Kent Hull go into the Hall of Fame.  I would go to Canton for that enshrinement for sure.

79762[/snapback]

I hear ya. I think Ralph might get it finally too, he's not going to be around much longer and would it be a slap in the face to do it posthumously. If it weren't for him and a few others, you wouldn't have a Super Bowl.

Remember this re: "off-field activity" - to the Pro Football HoF, it doesn't make a bit of difference. Nothing whatsoever in the selection criteria about 'character' - just look at Paul Hornung and his gambling ban, or L.T.'s drug convictions. So if you're banking on that keeping Mikey Irvin out, don't. And he does have both the rings and the numbers.... even if none of us can stand him....

Agreed, Marino and Young are locks. I think Derrick Thomas gets strong support on the first ballot, too - nine Pro Bowls in 11 seasons, that's pretty tough to top. Still one of the most amazing players I've ever had the good fortune of watching.

Haley and Dent are about equal to Greenwood (who actually has the most Pro Bowl selections), and LC's been waiting since 1991. Dent leapfrogged Greenwood to make the final 15 last year, though; he might have the best chance of the three.

Dan Reeves? Well, Marv and Bud Grant both got in without winning a Super Bowl, so he's got a shot. Jimmuh Johnson gets in before he does, though. And don't forget Tagliabue's on the list, too - if any non-player gets in (other than Fritz Pollard, the Seniors Committee nominee who should have been there a long, loooong time ago), it just might be Tags. For all the grumbling we do about him, you can't argue with the success of the league.

As for "our" guys? I like Spielman's chances better than anyone else on the list. I'd like to think he knocks Harry Carson off the list of finalists, at the very least.

I agree that Ralph should have been in a long time ago, but seeing how few of the AFL-era selectors are left, his chances are getting worse instead of better. JMO.

-Tasker? Love to see it, but he's got an uphill climb against the "part-time player" stigma attached to STs.

-Hull? Not enough notoriety outside Buffalo; it might take a PR campaign silmilar to Joe D's to get him some overdue recognition. Also, Gary Zimmerman gets in before Kent does.

Anyone else? Not likely. Probably have to wait till next year, when Thurman and Andre come up for the first time.