2005 Hall Of Fame Prelims Announced

Remember this re: "off-field activity" - to the Pro Football HoF, it doesn't make a bit of difference. Nothing whatsoever in the selection criteria about 'character' - just look at Paul Hornung and his gambling ban, or L.T.'s drug convictions. So if you're banking on that keeping Mikey Irvin out, don't. And he does have both the rings and the numbers.... even if none of us can stand him....

Agreed, Marino and Young are locks. I think Derrick Thomas gets strong support on the first ballot, too - nine Pro Bowls in 11 seasons, that's pretty tough to top. Still one of the most amazing players I've ever had the good fortune of watching.

Haley and Dent are about equal to Greenwood (who actually has the most Pro Bowl selections), and LC's been waiting since 1991. Dent leapfrogged Greenwood to make the final 15 last year, though; he might have the best chance of the three.

Dan Reeves? Well, Marv and Bud Grant both got in without winning a Super Bowl, so he's got a shot. Jimmuh Johnson gets in before he does, though. And don't forget Tagliabue's on the list, too - if any non-player gets in (other than Fritz Pollard, the Seniors Committee nominee who should have been there a long, loooong time ago), it just might be Tags. For all the grumbling we do about him, you can't argue with the success of the league.

As for "our" guys? I like Spielman's chances better than anyone else on the list. I'd like to think he knocks Harry Carson off the list of finalists, at the very least.

I agree that Ralph should have been in a long time ago, but seeing how few of the AFL-era selectors are left, his chances are getting worse instead of better. JMO.

-Tasker? Love to see it, but he's got an uphill climb against the "part-time player" stigma attached to STs.

-Hull? Not enough notoriety outside Buffalo; it might take a PR campaign silmilar to Joe D's to get him some overdue recognition. Also, Gary Zimmerman gets in before Kent does.

Anyone else? Not likely. Probably have to wait till next year, when Thurman and Andre come up for the first time.

80033[/snapback]

Good post, shame on Kent Hull. I would still like to think some people know football. He is very deserving.

Haley has more rings than Greenwood or Dent, and he earned every one of them.

Dent had some good years, & Greenwood was a very nice complimentary player to the true HOF-ers on the Steelers, but neither can touch Haley IMO.

Reeves coached in as many Super Bowls as Marv, and also had a nice career as a RB with the Cowboys. He also deserves to go on the 1st ballot.

Let's face it, Ralph Wilson deserves to be in the HOF. 40 plus years as an owner, instrumental in the AFL/NFL merger, and kept a team here against some long odds. Needs to be in there. They can accept 6...but 5 has been the norm...how about 5 players and 1 Ralph? :w00t:

Haley has more rings than Greenwood or Dent, and he earned every one of them.

Dent had some good years, & Greenwood was a very nice complimentary player to the true HOF-ers on the Steelers, but neither can touch Haley IMO.

Reeves coached in as many Super Bowls as Marv, and also had a nice career as a RB with the Cowboys. He also  deserves to go on the 1st ballot.

80047[/snapback]

Haley was good, but all five of those rings were earned on teams better known for their offense, no? I'd lean toward Dent.

As for Reeves, Marv didn't get in until his third try as a finalist. Reeves' mediocre career as a RB - eight seasons, fewer than 2000 yards for his career? - will have no impact on his selection. His failure with the Giants won't help his cause, either - remember, NYC has two selectors. (Three, if you count SI's Peter King.)

For that matter, if I had a say, I might just vote for Don Coryell before either Pig-faced JJ or Reeves. Ask Bill Walsh where he learned some of the ideas he turned into the "West Coast" offense...

Dan Marino is a lock

Steve Young is a lock, although a few might argue about it.

Michael Irvin could get passed over his first time.

I would not be surprised if Derrick Thomas made it.

After that I do'nt know.

Are Kevin Greene & Steve Atwater, Hall of Fame material?

Personally I think it would be a shame if Michael Irvin gets in before Cliff Branch & Art Monk. You could also make cases for Mark Clayton, Mark Duper & Henry Ellard.

As far as Bills go, I would be cheering mostly for Ralph Wilson & Steve Tasker.

One question to all of you, I love Chris Spielman, but does everyone honestly think he belongs in the Hall of Fame? He was an outstanding player, I just do'nt know if he was great enough to be in the HOF.

Then of course there are names on this list I just do'nt understand:

Herschel Walker?

Gerald Riggs?

Harry Carson?

Chris Hinton?

Brent Jones?

Albert Shelley?

Doug Williams?

Louis Lipps?

The only way I see Herschel Walker getting in, is so people can see how stupid the Vikings were in making that trade. The worst trade in NFL History might belong in the Hall of Fame. Then people will know how the Cowboys got so good in the 90's.

I agree with one poster put Ed Sabol in, the NFL has a lot to be thankful for what this guy did.

Haley was good, but all five of those rings were earned on teams better known for their offense, no? I'd lean toward Dent.

As for Reeves, Marv didn't get in until his third try as a finalist. Reeves' mediocre career as a RB - eight seasons, fewer than 2000 yards for his career? - will have no impact on his selection. His failure with the Giants won't help his cause, either - remember, NYC has two selectors. (Three, if you count SI's Peter King.)

For that matter, if I had a say, I might just vote for Don Coryell before either Pig-faced JJ or Reeves. Ask Bill Walsh where he learned some of the ideas he turned into the "West Coast" offense...

80073[/snapback]

Haley was a warrior throughout his career, and came up big when it counted most. If I had a vote, he'd be the 1st person on the ballot to go in (sorry, Loser Dan :w00t: ).

You're probably right about Reeves, but he will eventually get in.

As for Spielman, he was a helluva competitor, but he has absolutely no chance IMO. Far too injury-riddled, and really not worthy of it even if you look at his healthy years. Don't see any Bills going in this year. :lol:

Let's face it,  Ralph Wilson deserves to be in the HOF.  40 plus years as an owner, instrumental in the AFL/NFL merger, and kept a team here against some long odds. Needs to be in there. They can accept 6...but 5 has been the norm...how about 5 players and 1 Ralph?  :w00t:

80057[/snapback]

Ralph has been shafted to long. A seminal force in creating the AFL and ushering the merger, he infused cash in both the Pats and Raiders (he actually bailed out Al Davis by buying shares of the Raiders, then sold said Raiders shares back to Davis when Alice became solvent again) to keep the AFL afloat. Plus he is a voice of sanity when it comes to keeping the traditions of the game upheld (i.e. against the Browns move and moving franchises out of solid football communities).

Dude needs inclusion before the ticker stops in flagrante delicto.