10 greatest chokes in sports

kota

I saw that earlier. Sure Houston played poorly in the second half, but the Bills did a hell of a job with their persistence. I don't want their achievement dimmed by the perception that Houston handed the game to us in the second half.

-----------

Go Bills

I saw that earlier. Sure Houston played poorly in the second half, but the Bills did a hell of a job with their persistence. I don't want their achievement dimmed by the perception that Houston handed the game to us in the second half. 

-----------

Go Bills

79563[/snapback]

Redsox fans should be thinking the same way about last night. Sure the Yankees choked when they had a chance to end it in Game 4, but if I were a Sox fan I would hate to say that the Yanks choked in Games 5 through 7 because that diminishes what the Sox really accomplished.

The truth of the matter last night was that the Yanks didn't choke in games 5 through 7, the simple fact was that they were just outplayed.

The truth of the matter last night was that the Yanks didn't choke in games 5 through 7, the simple fact was that they were just outplayed.

79570[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't agree. The Yankees had many opportunities to put them away in games 4+5 & didn't get the job done.

Sorry, I don't agree. The Yankees had many opportunities to put them away in games 4+5 & didn't get the job done.

79577[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying. But the question is did they give those games away or did the Sox just outplay them?

As a Yankee fan I think it's too easy to say we choked. Instead I think the better team just won. They made the plays when they needed to. The Yanks couldn't.

I will give you Game 4 as a choke, the Yanks just screwed up. But in Game 5 they were outplayed from begining to end.

79577[/snapback]

I see choking as making errors, not going all out, making foolish mistakes, ect. calling teams chokers can really demean great efforts, the Red Sox put forth a great effort won two games in as close a fashion as possible, a third with the issue still in doubt in the final at bat and each team had a blow out, over the past two years these two have played 52 games against each other the Red Sox winning 27 , the Yankees 25, it just does not get any closer, chokers just does not fit here any more than did choker fit last year win Boone hit homerun to decide things for Yankees. Results show that these teams could play a hundred games a you come flip the difference between them.

Wide Right was a 47? yard field goal. Not a give me, for sure!

As much as it pains me to see the Yankees number 1 on that list, it makes me happy that "wide right" wasn't on it.  :D

79588[/snapback]

The really cool thing to me is that Frank Reich also pulled off the greatest comeback in Div I college football when he rallied Maryland against U Miami

79592[/snapback]

That is probably one of the most amazing, yet rarely remembered, sports facts. How the same guy could have engineered the biggest comebacks in both college and pro football history is absolutely amazing. Frank Reich should be in both the college and pro football hall of fames just for that feat alone.

I see choking as making errors, not going all out, making foolish mistakes, ect.  calling teams chokers can really demean great efforts, the Red Sox put forth a great effort won two games in as close a fashion as possible, a third with the issue still in doubt in the final at bat and each team had a blow out, over the past two years these two have played 52 games against each other  the Red Sox winning 27 , the Yankees 25, it just does not get any closer, chokers just does not fit here any more than did choker fit last  year win Boone hit homerun to decide things for Yankees.  Results show that these teams could play a hundred games a you come flip the difference between them.

79596[/snapback]

I agree. I have a hard time calling it a choke when there is another team or player that is making things happen.

For that reason, the #1 choke of all time in my book -- never to be surpassed -- was Jean Van de Velde. No one else was in the pic...just him. Make a double bogey six for the British Open crown. His choke was mental and physical. He completely lost his head and his game for about 15 minutes while playing that hole and threw away the title. That was truly painful to watch. The fact that he's french did make it tolerable though :D

Except that game was already tied.  The real goat in that game was Calvin Schiraldi.

79607[/snapback]

Actually, it was Stanley that threw the wild pitch that allowed the tying run to score.

But McNamara was most at fault. Players make errors on the field. To leave Buckner at first base for the 10th was unforgivable.

Wide Right was a 47? yard field goal.  Not a give me, for sure!

79597[/snapback]

Not that I'm biased or anything...but I agree. Plus...it's not like that was a kick he made all the time. Norwoods range pretty much ended right about there.

Actually, it was Stanley that threw the wild pitch that allowed the tying run to score.

But McNamara was most at fault.  Players make errors on the field.  To leave Buckner at first base for the 10th was unforgivable.

79622[/snapback]

Yep...I agree. The ball went through Buckners legs, but the true error was leaving that geriatric bastard in the game. I'm happy he was there (Mets fan here), of course, but that was the really choke.

But McNamara was most at fault.  Players make errors on the field.  To leave Buckner at first base for the 10th was unforgivable.

79622[/snapback]

Schiraldi was the pitcher serving up the meatballs that put guys on base.

There's obviously plenty of blame to go around, but Buckner seems to be the choice of the underinformed because it has been repeated so often.

I hate both of those teams. It was a shame one of them had to win a World Series.

Schiraldi was the pitcher serving up the meatballs that put guys on base.

There's obviously plenty of blame to go around, but  Buckner seems to be the choice of the underinformed because it has been repeated so often.

I hate both of those teams.  It was a shame one of them had to win a World Series.

79639[/snapback]

Oh, it was no shame. :D The Mets were a team of destiny that year....they were so much fun to follow in those days.

The best part was that I was in a room with 3 other Met fans and about 20 Red Sox fans during that 10th inning. Amazing how quickly they quited down that night!