2008 NFL Predictions

Mark Vader

My predictions for this year's regular season. Very simple predictions, no Super Bowl Champions or MVP's.

AFC East

1. New England: Defense is facing a crossroads, but the Patriots are still tops in this division.

2. Buffalo: Improved on paper, now has to show it on the field. New offensive coordinator Schonert is the biggest key.

3. New York: Favre is a big help, now will the other free agent additions step up?

4. Miami: Parcells begins the process of bringing Dolphins back to elite status. Won't happen this year, but just wait.

AFC North

1. Cleveland: Offense is set. Now is the defense ready?

2. Pittsburgh: Steelers in a state of flux in this rocky division. Can they get another playoff year before veterans show their age?

3. Cincinnati: Even if the distractions have died down, the Bengals did little to improve this offseason.

4. Baltimore: New Head Coach, Rookie QB & old defense= Rebuilding.

AFC South

1. Indianapolis: As long as Manning is around, Colts are still Super Bowl contenders.

2. Jacksonville: Can the Jaguars finally get out of the Colts, Patriots, & Chargers shadow's? This is the best year to do it.

3. Houston: Tough team in a very tough divison could make some noise.

4. Tennessee: Will the Titans front office ever get Vince Young a real threat at WR?

AFC West

1. San Diego: LT & company make serious push for Super Bowl.

2. Oakland: Don't laugh, Raiders overpayed but made good aquisitions. Besides, 6-10 might be good enough for 2nd in weak west.

3. Denver: How much longer can Shanahan hold into the reins of a team with lots of question marks?

4. Kansas City: Chiefs start rebuilding phase. Possible 1st overall pick in the 2009 Draft.

NFC East

1. Philadelphia: Eagles have enough to come out on top of NFC's toughest division.

2. Dallas: If Eagles falter the Cowboys will come out on top.

3. New York: Defending Champs have enough power to repeat, but it wo'nt be easy.

4. Washington: Average QB play not enough to contend.

NFC North

1. Green Bay: Rodgers has a huge role to fill. Fortunately Packers are good on both sides of the ball.

2. Minnesota: Vikings have a stout defense and a superstar at RB, if Jackson is above average at QB, playoffs could happen.

3. Detroit: Lions are a little better, but thats not enough.

4. Chicago: Strong defense is useless with questionable offense.

NFC South

1. New Orleans: Can Saints finally be Super?

2. Tampa Bay: How much more can the Bucs get out of Garcia?

3. Carolina: Underachieving Panthers look to change their fortunes of recent seasons.

4. Atlanta: Welcome to the NFL Matt Ryan. It'll be a long 4 months.

NFC West

1. Arizona: Cardinals finally get it right with personnel and reach playoffs.

2. Seattle: Holmgren's final season with Seahawks will be a tough one.

3. San Francisco: Can Mike Martz get offense producing again?

4. Saint Louis: Offense is fine, defense remains to be seen.

Can you explain how and why Pittsburgh is "in a flux?"

And what veterans do you speak of? They have a very young QB still, they've added 1st and second round picks to the RB and WR positions in Mendenhall and Sweed, and still have a very young TE. On defense their first round pick a year ago (Timmons) still is a back up, and not because he isn't good either.

And you aren't sure what Cleveland's defense is like, but they're in first?

My predictions for this year's regular season. Very simple predictions, no Super Bowl Champions or MVP's.

AFC East

1. New England: Defense is facing a crossroads, but the Patriots are still tops in this division.

2. Buffalo: Improved on paper, now has to show it on the field. New offensive coordinator Schonert is the biggest key.

3. New York: Favre is a big help, now will the other free agent additions step up?

4. Miami: Parcells begins the process of bringing Dolphins back to elite status. Won't happen this year, but just wait.

AFC North

1. Cleveland: Offense is set. Now is the defense ready?

2. Pittsburgh: Steelers in a state of flux in this rocky division. Can they get another playoff year before veterans show their age?

3. Cincinnati: Even if the distractions have died down, the Bengals did little to improve this offseason.

4. Baltimore: New Head Coach, Rookie QB & old defense= Rebuilding.

AFC South

1. Indianapolis: As long as Manning is around, Colts are still Super Bowl contenders.

2. Jacksonville: Can the Jaguars finally get out of the Colts, Patriots, & Chargers shadow's? This is the best year to do it.

3. Houston: Tough team in a very tough divison could make some noise.

4. Tennessee: Will the Titans front office ever get Vince Young a real threat at WR?

AFC West

1. San Diego: LT & company make serious push for Super Bowl.

2. Oakland: Don't laugh, Raiders overpayed but made good aquisitions. Besides, 6-10 might be good enough for 2nd in weak west.

3. Denver: How much longer can Shanahan hold into the reins of a team with lots of question marks?

4. Kansas City: Chiefs start rebuilding phase. Possible 1st overall pick in the 2009 Draft.

NFC East

1. Philadelphia: Eagles have enough to come out on top of NFC's toughest division.

2. Dallas: If Eagles falter the Cowboys will come out on top.

3. New York: Defending Champs have enough power to repeat, but it wo'nt be easy.

4. Washington: Average QB play not enough to contend.

NFC North

1. Green Bay: Rodgers has a huge role to fill. Fortunately Packers are good on both sides of the ball.

2. Minnesota: Vikings have a stout defense and a superstar at RB, if Jackson is above average at QB, playoffs could happen.

3. Detroit: Lions are a little better, but thats not enough.

4. Chicago: Strong defense is useless with questionable offense.

NFC South

1. New Orleans: Can Saints finally be Super?

2. Tampa Bay: How much more can the Bucs get out of Garcia?

3. Carolina: Underachieving Panthers look to change their fortunes of recent seasons.

4. Atlanta: Welcome to the NFL Matt Ryan. It'll be a long 4 months.

NFC West

1. Arizona: Cardinals finally get it right with personnel and reach playoffs.

2. Seattle: Holmgren's final season with Seahawks will be a tough one.

3. San Francisco: Can Mike Martz get offense producing again?

4. Saint Louis: Offense is fine, defense remains to be seen.

Predictions

AFC East

1. New England

2. Buffalo

3. New York Jets

4. Miami

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh

2. Cleveland

3. Baltimore

4. Cincinnati

AFC South

1. Indianapolis

2. Jacksonville

3. Tennessee

4. Houston

AFC West

1. San Diego

2. Denver

3. Oakland

4. Kansas City

NFC East

1. New York Giants

2. Dallas

3. Philadelphia

4. Washington

NFC North

1. Green Bay

2. Minnesota

3. Chicago

4. Detroit

NFC South

1. Tampa Bay

2. New Orleans

3. Carolina

4. Atlanta

NFC West

1. Seattle

2. Arizona

3. San Francisco

4. St. Louis

AFC EAST= 1. New England, 2. Buffalo (WC), 3. NY Jets, 4. Miami

AFC NORTH= 1. Pittsburgh, 2. Cleveland, 3.Cincanati, 4. Baltimore

AFC SOUTH= 1.Indianapolis, 2.Jacksonville(WC), 3.Houston, 4.Tennessee

AFC WEST= 1.San Diego, 2.Oakland, 3.Denver, 4. Kanas City

AFC Championship=Indianapolis over New England

NFC East= 1. Dallas, 2. NY Giants(WC), 3. Philidelphia, 4. Washington

NFC North= 1. Greenbay, 2. Minnesota(WC), 3. Detrot, 4. Chicago

NFC South= 1.New Orleans, 2. Carolina, 3. Tampa Bay, 4. Atlanta

NFC West= 1. Arizona, 2. Seattle, 3. St. Louis, 4. San Francisco

NFC Championship=Dallas over New Orleans

Superbowl= Indianapolis over Dallas

You have several slightly unconventional but not crazy picks that I happen to agree with.

I like Philly and the way they played at the end of last year.

I like the Cardinals even though they're the "too fashionable sleeper pick" every year that always comes up small, I like their coach & the way they played last year.

I was a year early on the Vikings bandwagon since they were my sleeper last year. I think folks are going a bit overboard this year in the sense that Rodgers is now apparently considered a bigger question mark than Jackson at QB.

And what veterans do you speak of? They have a very young QB still, they've added 1st and second round picks to the RB and WR positions in Mendenhall and Sweed, and still have a very young TE. On defense their first round pick a year ago (Timmons) still is a back up, and not because he isn't good either.

I think he's talking about their deteriorated OL & the likelyhood of Ben getting killed this year.

Not a big Browns believer either though. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens surprise in that division tbh.

Lots of young talent with potential, but will that young talent translate into wins this year? Hines Ward is no spring chicken either.

Lots of young talent with potential, but will that young talent translate into wins this year? Hines Ward is no spring chicken either.

They don't need them to. Mendenhall is behind Parker, and Sweed is behind Ward and Santonio Holmes. They don't have to rely on their young guys.

The reasons why I think the Steelers are in "flux", is because they do not look that much different from last year. Yes they made the playoffs, but they beat up on the poor teams they faced, and struggled against good teams.

I agree they have good weapons on offense, but I think their O-Line is suspect.

As far as the Browns are concerned, I think that their offense is good enough to win the AFC North, as it is not a strong division. Their defense has questions to answer. But I think if the defense is adequate, then that could be enough.

AFC East

1. New England

2. Buffalo

3. New York Jets

4. Miami

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh

2. Cleveland

3. Baltimore

4. Cincinnati

AFC South

1. Indianapolis

2. Jacksonville

3. Tennessee

4. Houston

NFC East

1. Dallas

2. New York Giants

3. Philadelphia

4. Washington

NFC North

1. Minnesota

2. Green Bay

3. Detroit

4. Chicago

NFC South

1. New Orleans

2. Carolina

3. Tampa Bay

4. Atlanta

NFC West

1. Seattle

2. Arizona

3. San Francisco

4. St. Louis

The reasons why I think the Steelers are in "flux", is because they do not look that much different from last year. Yes they made the playoffs, but they beat up on the poor teams they faced, and struggled against good teams.

I agree they have good weapons on offense, but I think their O-Line is suspect.

As far as the Browns are concerned, I think that their offense is good enough to win the AFC North, as it is not a strong division. Their defense has questions to answer. But I think if the defense is adequate, then that could be enough.

So you say that one team has a good offense, and obviously has a good to great defense.

The other team has a good offense, but their defense has questions to answer.

And you pick the one without the good defense? Lol. If both Pittsburgh and Cleveland have very good offenses, but Pittsburgh has a good defense and Cleveland doesn't, how can you like the Browns more?

Playoffs: AFC - NE, SD, CLE/PIT (Flip a Coin), IND, JAX (WC), BUFF (WC)

Playoffs: NFC - DAL, ARI, MIN, NO, PHI (WC), NYG (WC)

Biggest question marks: Will Romo win a playoff game..............EVER? Can McNabb start for a whole season and find a consistent WR to throw to? Can the Giants D just plug in anybody and was Eli a playoff fluke? Is Rivers a poser or a solid NFL QB, can LT put up big #'s again, and will Merriman's knee make it? Which "Big Ben" will the Steelers get, '06 or '07 version? Can Cleveland's secondary not give up as many points as the offense will likely score? Can Peyton's line give him the time he needs to be effective? Was Gerrard a 1 year wonder? Has Warner regained his 1999-2001 form or was the last 7 games of the '07 season a tease? Is Tavaris the guy for real in MIN and can AP lead these guys to the promised land? Brees and company look poised to make a run in '08, but whose going to shoulder the load at the RB spot? Does the NE defense have enough left in the tank to win 1 more before they officially go into the rebuilding stage? Can the Bills' young team put it all together and make some noise in the AFC, does their health hold up this year, can Trent lead the offense and step it up when needed, does our defense take that giant leap forward, and is Turk the man for the job?

One thing's for certain, expect the unexpected. Some one could come out of nowhere to win it all. It could be the Bills :thumbsup:

So you say that one team has a good offense, and obviously has a good to great defense.

The other team has a good offense, but their defense has questions to answer.

And you pick the one without the good defense? Lol. If both Pittsburgh and Cleveland have very good offenses, but Pittsburgh has a good defense and Cleveland doesn't, how can you like the Browns more?

I think when it comes down to head-to-head comparisons, the Browns are the better team.

Jacksonville will beat out the Colts in the SE division.

The Browns won't even win 8 games, and Brady Quinn will throw more TD passes than Anderson.

Carolina will get off to a slow start, but battle it out with the Saints for their division. Tampa Bay will suck.

The Jets will beat up on sh-- teams, and get embarrassed by good ones on their way to 6-10 or 7-9.

Arizona wins the NFC West if Warner stays healthy, which isn't going to happen. So I'll say Arizona wins the NFC West if Warner starts 12 games.

The Bills will hand the 6-0 Chargers their first loss of the season in Buffalo.

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster so most could probably care less about some new random posters random thoughts, nevertheless, in the spirit of getting pumped for tomorrow, I figured I'd jump into the stadium wall.

Some random thoughts on the year:

1. Bills D will be top 7 or 8 in the league and they will win 10 games.

2. Ricky Williams will have 1000 + yards and Ronnie Brown will be a change of

pace back only.

3. Dolphins will still win 4 or less games.

4. Brady will have a "down" year with under 30 tds.

5. Moss will lead the league in TDs but have a lot less yards.

6. Favre will pass for more than 3500 yards and Cotchery will emerge as a star

receiver and best offensive player on the jets.

7. Cincy offense will be top 3 in the league but they will struggle to go 8-8

due to a putrid defense.

8. Jamal Lewis will run for over 1500 yards if he is healthy. If he gets hurt

then the Browns win 7 games max.

9. Kellen Winslow will catch 100+ balls.

10. The Steelers o line will crumble, Big Ben will have another mediocre year,

Willie Parker will be outside the top 20 backs, and by week 10 and Mendenhall may

start. The Steelers win 7 or 8 games. Talk of Tomlin being fired begins. Talk

of the Rooneys staying with the team intensifies.

11. Baltimore wins 5 games. Flacco is benched when Smith comes back who has a

better year than Vince Young. Ray Rice starts over McGahee by the end of the

year.

12. Vince Young stinks up the joint partly because he's not a passer and partly

because he has no one to throw to.

13. Crumpler gets all of Young's catches and returns to 2004 form.

14. Indy overcomes the pundits and wins 13 games and Manning has the best year

of any QB with 40+tds.

15. Harrison quietly dominates this year with attention turned to Addai, Clark,

and Wayne.

16. JAX keeps winning despite multiple retread wrs. Fast Freddi and MJD

continue their top running attack. Their defense weakens slightly.

17. Schaub quietly becomes a top 5 qb but probably gets hurt (or Johnson gets

hurt) by week 10.

18. Slaton is the starter in Houston by week 6.

19. Cutler and the Broncos are one of the most overrated teams.

20. Marshall catches 125 passes despite playing 15 games.

21. No one knows who will get the most yards running in Denver.

22. KC gets even worse than last year and LJ is not in the top 20 rushers.

23. Oakland is the mystery team of the AFC. They will win b/w 3 and 8 games and

I have no idea how Russell performs. Fargas is cut in the offseason.

24. The Chargers remain an offensive powerhouse if Gates can play healthy and LT

puts up yet another dominant season (he has 2 monster and 2 solid seasons left

if he doesn't get hurt).

25. Felix Jones becomes the starter in Dallas because he's too good (or some platoon combo).

26. The Giants are boring but win 11 games.

27. McNabb has no one to throw to for the 9th consecutive year.

28. The Redskins are vastly overrated and win 6 games.

29. The Bears put up one of the all time worst offensive seasons. Mike Brown

gets injured for the year.

30. The Lions continue to put up good numbers and Kitna has yet another solid

year and remains one of the all time underrated qbs in the nfl. Rudi Johnson is

cut in the offseason.

31. AP has less yards than last year and him and Taylor try for two backs with

1000 yards each.

32. Travaris Jackson is mediocre but the Vikes D line is top 10 all time in

sacks.

33. The Packers win 9 games and the fans cry for Favre with every loss. Rodgers

pales in comparison to Favre in stats.

34. Atlanta wins 3 games.

35. The Saints win 12 games and go to the superbowl. Shockey (who I hate)

catches 80 balls. Pierre Thomas starts and is the premier back in NO by week 10.

36. Tampa Bay is the most boring team in the NFL.

37. Carolina has an explosive battle for the starting RB each week but Stewart

wins and competes for rookie of the year.

38. SJax has a bad year due to no offensive line. Fantasy players wonder why he

went top 5.

39. Tim Hightower starts for Arizona by week 13. Warner keeps the job all year

and Leinart can be classified as a bust.

40. JTO Sullivan has a solid year.

41. Frank Gore is highly overrated.

42. Patrick Willis leads the NFL in tackles. Paul Posluzny is 2nd.

43. Seattle is the worst team to ever win a division with an 8-8 record.