Tim Graham's All AFC East offense

scribo

I'd rather read Tim's coverage than anyone at the D&C or Snooze

RUNNING BACK: Marshawn Lynch, Bills.

Of all the backs in the division, Lynch possesses the best combination of talent, toughness and youth. Ronnie Brown would be the choice if he weren't coming off a reconstructed right knee and showing a proclivity for appearing on injury reports.

I don't think Brown has ever shown as much in the NFL as Lynch did last year.

WIDE RECEIVERS: Randy Moss, Patriots, and Lee Evans, Bills.

The first selection was simple, to say the least. Moss is the greatest receiver in the game and maybe the best ever. Laveranues Coles, who has grabbed 90 passes twice and rolled up 1,000 yards thrice, would be the other selection if not for his injury problems. Wes Welker's gaudy stats as a slot receiver make him an interesting candidate. But Evans is a special talent who has been overlooked. He's coming off a down year because a sputtering offense allowed opponents to double cover him. But Evans is a Pro Bowl talent and the second-best No. 1 receiver in the AFC East.

Are you kidding? He said the best ever. What more is there to understand?

Uh...the "maybe"? :lol:

And I can't say I disagree with him, either. Rice was obviously extraordinarily productive...but even though Moss hasn't reached that statistical level yet, he's utterly stunning in his abilities and one of the most phenomenal receivers I've ever watched.

Uh...the "maybe"? :lol:

And I can't say I disagree with him, either. Rice was obviously extraordinarily productive...but even though Moss hasn't reached that statistical level yet, he's utterly stunning in his abilities and one of the most phenomenal receivers I've ever watched.

Obviously you've only watched Rice play a handful of times. That's too bad.

I've watched them both about the same number of times. Moss has the most amazing physical skills I've ever seen.

Not much heart though...guy's a punk.

I'm so biased in this conversation, and I admit it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFd2eT1P4E

Moss is a spectacular athlete... When he wants to be...

Uh...the "maybe"? :rolleyes:

Moss, when he wants to play is unbelievable. Rice was motivated by the competition, Moss needs more.

Someone should ask Bill Walsh, but if given the choice between Moss or Rice on those vintage 49er teams I would bet he would take Moss.

Moss, when he wants to play is unbelievable. Rice was motivated by the competition, Moss needs more.

Someone should ask Bill Walsh, but if given the choice between Moss or Rice on those vintage 49er teams I would bet he would take Moss.

Yeah it would be hard to ask Walsh now seeing as he passed away last year.

P.S. - D@mmit OHIO U!!

I heard Brad Riter say something like It's good to have Tim Graham "back in Buffalo"...does anyone know what tie Graham has to the Buffalo area?

P.S. - Come on OHIO U.!!!

Here's Lori's post linking Graham's blog yesterday.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...p;#entry1118598

I agree with Lori, there's some pretty funny stuff in there as Tim and hordes of (mostly) Bills fans get slap happy, going on and on asking him questions, sometimes intelligibly.

Here's his intro at the start of the blog:

Graham joined ESPN.com in 2008 after covering the Miami Dolphins for the Palm Beach Post. He previously spent eight years at the Buffalo News, where he was an award-winning NHL and boxing writer. The Baldwin-Wallace College grad also has worked for the Las Vegas Sun and Boston Herald.

Moss the best WR ever? Has Mr. Graham ever heard of Jerry Rice?

On pure athletic ability, Moss is eons ahead of Rice and every other WR to play the game.

However, Rice far exceeds Moss in his ability to utilize every ounce of his God given talent each and every week whereas Moss has never been able to do that consistently (or cared to).

If Moss had Rice's drive, he would shatter every single receiving record there is.

Moss to me is like Lennox Lewis. Lewis had all the God given ability in the world and should have been the most dominate heavyweight in history. However, he had zero heart and rather than working to improve or compete, he never fully realized his talent.

Moss has stepped up a few times in his career (rookie year and last year to name a few) -- and if he continues to "try", he could still retire holding most of the receiving records. He's that good. And that frustrating.

As for Rice versus Moss, it should be pointed out that Rice was legendary for his work ethic and professionalism.

While Moss is undoubtedly a great player he dogged it big time when he was with the Raiders. I don't think Jerry Rice would dog it under any circumstances.

Rice was legendary for his work ethic, not necessarily is professionalism or being a "team player." Remember the tantrum he threw on the sidelines with Oakland when Clements shut him down and broke his consecutive games with a catch streak? The Raiders were winning, and went on to win (I think that was the Travis Henry tripping over the 2 yard line game)...didn't stop Rice from being a whining B word.

If Rice does something like that it's because he's a "competitor," if Owens or Moss does it, it's because they're selfish. Huge double standard.

As for Rice vs Moss, it's not even a fair comparison. Totally different skill sets. The size and speed of Moss is fantastic, and he probably has better hands than Rice did, but he also has a lanky body that isn't really suited for slants and other assorted passes over the middle. Rice could get open deep, was much better after the catch, and was probably the best route runner the league has ever seen. He also played faster than his 40 time would suggest.

Moss is a James Lofton type receiver, Jerry Rice was more like Terrell Owens has been over the years, in terms of talent.

All 4 were special players, but at the end of the day I'd prefer the talents of a guy like Rice or Owens, who can make a 6 yard curl pattern on 3rd and 4 into a 25 yard gain.