Front Office: Vindictive, Harsh, Miserly

so would you rather have a league doormat forever, or have a serious shot at a championship for a few years then watch the team move on?

thats the conundrum which we all face. including the FO...

the hope would be that by Ralph setting this example, and the CBA being thrown out, the rest of the league would catch up to his thinking and after a few more hard years we would have both 1. a financially stable team with no threat of leaving and 2. a team built the right way and a shot at a championship.

your time frames show a narrow-minded approach in finding a solution to the problem, when the choices are "bad forever" or "good for a few years".

how about bad for a few years, then good forever? (i know thats a huge reach, im just sayin, theres other ways to look at the goals)

edit: short sighted is not the term i wanted to use. and neither it, nor narrow-minded, is meant as a dig on the quoted poster.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going on IR doesn't hurt Crowell at all except maybe his feelings- LBs have to be great to make big money and Crowell isn't great- unless you have a whole mess of (combine for 10+) sacks, interceptions, forced fumbles, Tackles for losses, or knock outs- you ain't getting big money- so making 1.3 mil now is good because everybody wants money now because they are afraid that there will be no 2010 season

Going on IR doesn't hurt Crowell at all except maybe his feelings- LBs have to be great to make big money and Crowell isn't great- unless you have a whole mess of (combine for 10+) sacks, interceptions, forced fumbles, Tackles for losses, or knock outs- you ain't getting big money- so making 1.3 mil now is good because everybody wants money now because they are afraid that there will be no 2010 season

agreed completely. i think anyone looking at the IR placement as something the Bills did to "punish" AC is absolutely ridiculous. this was nothing more than needing a roster spot and not knowing exactly what level AC will even come back at.

Crowell was not a top-tier LB, so you have to imagine that a healthy, OK linebacker will be just as good as a wobbly-kneed AC.

That's not at all what I got from his post.

you should have done. Pyrite has it down exactly right. The point is the FO are failing right now to build the simple relationships to make a productive franchise. And if they don't rethink they will hurt our ability to retain and attract good players.

thats the conundrum which we all face. including the FO...

the hope would be that by Ralph setting this example, and the CBA being thrown out, the rest of the league would catch up to his thinking and after a few more hard years we would have both 1. a financially stable team with no threat of leaving and 2. a team built the right way and a shot at a championship.

your time frames show a narrow-minded approach in finding a solution to the problem, when the choices are "bad forever" or "good for a few years".

how about bad for a few years, then good forever? (i know thats a huge reach, im just sayin, theres other ways to look at the goals)

edit: short sighted is not the term i wanted to use. and neither it, nor narrow-minded, is meant as a dig on the quoted poster.

no worries, i most often can tell when someone is being disrespectful. I just wanted to know if winning was more impotant then geographical ownership of your favorite team. I think not being good for sooooo long has seriously twisted my logic about this team, I just wanna win at all costs. I dont know how many more seasons i can tolerate this. That being said i think we all want them in Buffalo forever.

Great point! Some around here are acting as if Crowell is the second coming. Some have even said he's our 'most consistent' defensive player. Nothing could be farther from the truth. His inconsistency is maddening. His lack of discipline is the major cause for that. Yeah, it sucks to lose a starter you were counting on, especially when you were only carrying 5 LBs, but with improved DL play and the additions of Poz and Mitchell his loss won't sting as much as it would have last year. And I laugh at the suggestion that he would have performed at an ALL Pro level because it was his contract year. That is simply an invalid argument not based on anything but wishful thinking. . If he were capable of playing at that level he already would have. He just isn't that good. He's a serviceable starter at best.

GO BILLS!!!

no worries, i most often can tell when someone is being disrespectful. I just wanted to know if winning was more impotant then geographical ownership of your favorite team. I think not being good for sooooo long has seriously twisted my logic about this team, I just wanna win at all costs. I dont know how many more seasons i can tolerate this. That being said i think we all want them in Buffalo forever.

and believe me, im coming from the same place. but im not about to jump on the shortbus with the other 10 or so posters here that fly off the handle and find a reason to fault and blame the FO with every problem.

running a company, as part of a billion dollar industry, with most of the power given to the employees... aint that easy.

^^

understatement of the year.

Great point! Some around here are acting as if Crowell is the second coming. Some have even said he's our 'most consistent' defensive player. Nothing could be farther from the truth. His inconsistency is maddening. His lack of discipline is the major cause for that. Yeah, it sucks to lose a starter you were counting on, especially when you were only carrying 5 LBs, but with improved DL play and the additions of Poz and Mitchell his loss won't sting as much as it would have last year. And I laugh at the suggestion that he would have performed at an ALL Pro level because it was his contract year. That is simply an invalid argument not based on anything but wishful thinking. . If he were capable of playing at that level he already would have. He just isn't that good. He's a serviceable starter at best.

GO BILLS!!!

great post.

umm let's see... he's on the last season of his contract and will be a FA after 2008. So, he gets zero chance to make plays and this doesn't hurt him? Seems like this is a critical season for him to show the Bills and the rest of the league what he's worth.

umm let's see... he's on the last season of his contract and will be a FA after 2008. So, he gets zero chance to make plays and this doesn't hurt him? Seems like this is a critical season for him to show the Bills and the rest of the league what he's worth.

I submit that EVERY season he has played to date was critical for him to show the Bills and the rest of the league what he's worth. His career to this point doesn't suggest any mega paydays were coming his way. He's an inconsistent but starter quality LB in this league. Nothing more.

GO BILLS!!!

Brandon himself confirmed that Peters was checked out after the surgery by team doctors. In fact, that is the last time he saw Peters. Brandon has also confirmed that he has had brief discussions with Peters' agent. That means that they have in fact talked and on more than one occasion. We have also had several recent confirmations that the team is not willing to renegotiate his contract for this year. Why is it odd that Peters and his agent haven't had public hissy fits like Brandon did? Warring press conferences is the kind of thing we usually condemn but Peters is being taken to task for not pulling a T.Owens of C.Johnson and creating a public spectacle.

Don't you get tired of regurgitating the same ole stuff? Copy & Paste must be working well for you. Brandon has made, what, maybe 4 public statements about Peters when asked by reporters? And this is public hissy fits? According to you, he should say No Comment every time he is asked. :w00t:

I submit that EVERY season he has played to date was critical for him to show the Bills and the rest of the league what he's worth. His career to this point doesn't suggest any mega paydays were coming his way. He's an inconsistent but starter quality LB in this league. Nothing more.

GO BILLS!!!

well, it's pretty clear to most people that a player's final contract year is critical to getting to the big payday. Maybe you don't see it that way...

well, it's pretty clear to most people that a player's final contract year is critical to getting to the big payday. Maybe you don't see it that way...

Don't mean to sound argumentative, but clear to whom exactly? Casual fans and player agents maybe. But I guarantee you that GMs, coaches, personnel directors, etc. judge a player's entire body of work when assessing his worth as an unrestricted free agent. There have been a few exceptions over the years but it's rare that a player in his contract year all of a sudden becomes much more than the player he's always been. That's not to be confused with teams that will recklessly reward players for one good year or even one good game (can you say Rob Johnson) but it's the exception rather than the rule.

GO BILLS!!!

Glad to have you back Nick. The national press actually supports the Bills on how they are handling Jason Peters, so they won't get a bad reputation from that. I think the Bills should reprimand Crowell for deciding out of the blue to get surgery. He should have been more forth coming with the staff about his injury.

Playing on a bad knee could just as well lose him money- look he'd be worth more to the Bills than anyone else because he knows the system- but they didn't even hint at an extention let alone big money- how good is Crowell ? at his best above average- he had a very nice season in 2005- 2006 he was injured- 2007 he he made a lot of poor decisions which was probably because he was trying to make something happen or trying to cover for other people instead of worrying about his own job- his best bet is to heal up, sign a one year contract for minimum, show something and sign a three year for decent money- but he ain't getting rich no matter what he does.

I have been twisted since January 1990...just once I want to win a Super Bowl. Then I can die in peace.