How many years did it take you to get your Bachelor's?

JK2000

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCain's running mate attended 5 colleges during that time at such amazing academic institutions as Matanuska-Susitna College, Hawaii Pacific University, North Idaho College, and then finally the University of Idaho.

And Obama didn't finish where he started out either - big deal.

Btw, why hasn't he released his college transcripts? Surely he would want to rebut the claims that his was an affirmative action trajectory? We know nothing of his class standing anywhere, except that there is essentially no information available about his years at Occidental; he graduated Columbia with no honors at all; yet was still admitted to Harvard Law (nice break if you can get it!), where he graduated magna cum laude (probably putting him in the top 20-40% of his law class).

No information on grades, at all.

http://www.oxy.edu/x7992.xml

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/obamas-years...-mystery/85015/

Btw, why hasn't he released his college transcripts? Surely he would want to rebut the claims that his was an affirmative action trajectory? We know nothing of his class standing anywhere, except that there is essentially no information available about his years at Occidental; he graduated Columbia with no honors at all; yet was still admitted to Harvard Law (nice break if you can get it!), where he graduated magna cum laude (probably putting him in the top 20-40% of his law class).

We have no information on Palin's grades either. All we have are the dates she attended. Surely you're not making a comparison to Obama's acandemic record and Palin's, are you?

We have no information on Palin's grades either. All we have are the dates she attended. Surely you're not making a comparison to Obama's acandemic record and Palin's, are you?

I don't know that anybody has asked for Palin's records yet. But you are avoiding the real issue: much is made by the democrats of McCain's poor grades, which he readily admits to, yet Obama will not release his own. That is odd since it is constantly suggested that he was an academic star.

I don't know that anybody has asked for Palin's records yet. But you are avoiding the real issue: much is made by the democrats of McCain's poor grades, which he readily admits to, yet Obama will not release his own. That is odd since it is constantly suggested that he was an academic star.

I'm talking about Palin, not McCain.

It took me 7 years, at night, while working full time during the day and volunteering as a firefighter and EMT the rest of the time. I was an honor student. I was also lieutenant, chairman of the by-laws committee, secretary and delegate to FASNY and county organizations. I did do my Masters in only two years.

And I had an austistic son. I took him to speech therapy, PT, soccer, football and the emergency room when he needed it.

Elect ME.

It took me 6. I was on a 5 year plan, with one year lost due to health reasons. So, I ended up with 6 years on a 5 year plan, where I was a resident assistant, a 3 sport Division III athlete, and worked 20 hours a week for campus maintenance in the years I wasn't a RA.

Would you discriminate against me and my 3.0 average?

Besides if we were to raz on candidates academic records, we could go on about McCain not being qualified because he graduated fifth from bottom in the naval academy

Isn't bringing up Barack Obama's Ivy League education to deflect from Palin's painfully mediocre record the definition of infantile avoidance?

Last time I checked, Obama was running for president. Palin is not.

And how do you know Obama's :lol: Ivy League :lol: education wasn't mediocre? How do we know that his grades won't be at odds with his mystique, like when it turned out that Kerry's were actually lower than Bush's?

But go ahead and keep probing - maybe there's something in Palin's elementary school record that will make Obama a superior choice for president than McCain.

Harvard Law School magna cum laude is top 10% after summa cum laude, which are very rare, from what I understand.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/ocs/employers/H...ding_System.htm

Harvard Law School magna cum laude is top 10% after summa cum laude, which are very rare, from what I understand.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/ocs/employers/H...ding_System.htm

It has varied over the years - grade inflation is an issue everywhere. I did alot of digging some time ago and couldn't get a consistent answer. It was not at all clear that at that time ranking was tied soley to grades and not effected by other considerations (editing the law review, getting published, whatever).

The likliest information that I could come up with was that in the early 90's, the top 10% graduated summa cum laude, the next 20% (10-30) graduated magna cum lauda. and the next 50% (20-80) graduated cum laude.

Last time I checked, Obama was running for president. Palin is not.

And how do you know Obama's :lol: Ivy League :lol: education wasn't mediocre? How do we know that his grades won't be at odds with his mystique, like when it turned out that Kerry's were actually lower than Bush's?

But go ahead and keep probing - maybe there's something in Palin's elementary school record that will make Obama a superior choice for president than McCain.

Are you really comparing Obama graduating magna cum laude from Harvard Law School with Palin's enrollment at Matanuska-Susitna College, a two year college? These conspiracy theories make you look silly.

It has varied over the years - grade inflation is an issue everywhere. I did alot of digging some time ago and couldn't get a consistent answer. It was not at all clear that at that time ranking was tied soley to grades and not effected by other considerations (editing the law review, getting published, whatever).

The likliest information that I could come up with was that in the early 90's, the top 10% graduated summa cum laude, the next 20% (10-30) graduated magna cum lauda. and the next 50% (20-80) graduated cum laude.

Link or STFU

Are you really comparing Obama graduating magna cum laude from Harvard Law School with Palin's enrollment at Matanuska-Susitna College, a two year college? These conspiracy theories make you look silly.

Link or STFU

If I were a jackass like you, I'd be starting 50 threads an hour claiming that Obama's entire academic career is the product of affirmative action, constantly being elevated into a better school than his grades warranted.

And I'd be throwing crap out like

- do you really believe that every C student from Occidental with no extracurriculars can transfer into Columbia,

- do you really believe that a mediocre Columbia student with no academic distinction can get into Harvard Law,

- do you really believe that every Harvard Law student can get himself a book deal for his autobiography, before he even graduates,

- do you really believe that the University of Chicago would offer a tenure position to an adjunct lecturer who has never published a legal article and has only taught for two years

:

So keep trumping Obama's educational achievements and denigrating everybody elses, without offering a shred of information about them.

Link or STFU

My findings were not that different from Kelly's, the current policy for which he provided a link. So read it or STFU.

The only significant difference is whether 10% were graduating summa cum laude in the 90's, and I have no interrest in trying to dig that up again. And as I pointed out, there was no definitive and consistent answer.

If I were a jackass like you, I'd be starting 50 threads an hour claiming that Obama's entire academic career is the product of affirmative action, constantly being elevated into a better school than his grades warranted.

And I'd be throwing crap out like

- do you really believe that every C student from Occidental with no extracurriculars can transfer into Columbia,

- do you really believe that a mediocre Columbia student with no academic distinction can get into Harvard Law,

- do you really believe that every Harvard Law student can get himself a book deal for his autobiography, before he even graduates,

- do you really believe that the University of Chicago would offer a tenure position to an adjunct lecturer who has never published a legal article and has only taught for two years

:

So keep trumping Obama's educational achievements and denigrating everybody elses, without offering a shred of information about them.

At least Obama has educational achievements to trump, Palin went through 5 colleges in 6 years and only has a Bachelor's in Journalism to show for it. I'm still waiting for your proof that magna cum laude was somehow different when Obama attended Harvard.

This is a pretty interesting article about how he got elected. Obama himself believed that he probably got help from affirmative action but didn't know. It's hard, IMO, not to appreciate what he did there and how he acted.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/...unifying_voice/

This article, which shows what happened to some of his classmates, says that the conservative members of the Law Review were the ones that elected him at the last minute, thinking he was the one who would give them the best treatment. A couple of them would become counsel in Bush's White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/politics/20070128_OBAMA.html