Marino has a soft spot for Buffalo

bigbillsfan12

when he was on the field, in that horribly ugly uniform, i wanted nothing more than to see Bruce crush him into the turf. i took probably too much joy from watching him cry and scream at his team mates after getting sacked.

but off the field, Marino was always a class act. Ive told the story here before about being out to dinner for my little sister's birthday, the friday before the Fins played in Buffalo. Marino was at the Cloister as well, and when my sister's cake came out, he came over and sang to her (she was turning 4). He signed all of our placemats, and we didnt even ask him to. Great guy, too bad he had to play for miami... :thumbsup:

but off the field, Marino was always a class act. Ive told the story here before about being out to dinner for my little sister's birthday, the friday before the Fins played in Buffalo. Marino was at the Cloister as well, and when my sister's cake came out, he came over and sang to her (she was turning 4). He signed all of our placemats, and we didnt even ask him to. Great guy, too bad he had to play for miami... :thumbsup:

Seriously, if Jim Kelly can call him a friend, he's ok with me.

when he was on the field, in that horribly ugly uniform, i wanted nothing more than to see Bruce crush him into the turf. i took probably too much joy from watching him cry and scream at his team mates after getting sacked.

but off the field, Marino was always a class act. Ive told the story here before about being out to dinner for my little sister's birthday, the friday before the Fins played in Buffalo. Marino was at the Cloister as well, and when my sister's cake came out, he came over and sang to her (she was turning 4). He signed all of our placemats, and we didnt even ask him to. Great guy, too bad he had to play for miami... :w00t:

So that's why The Cloister closed! :thumbsup:

Good story.

Off the field he seemed like a pretty decent guy to me too. I met him when he was down here for one of Bruce Smith's golf tournies. My job that morning was to act as a traffic cop for players coming down from their rooms and ensure that they (and their clubs) found their way to the right car for the short trip to the links.

It was a bit cool that morning (for this area) and Marino approached me as he walked out the door cupping his hands over his mouth to blow warm air into them. "Man, it's cold out here, isn't it." I just looked at him with a chesire cat grin and said, "Cold? No, not at all, but then again, I'm from Buffalo."

He cracked a smile which quickly turned into a laugh and said "Awwww man!" We chatted for a couple of minutes while waiting for the next car to come and pick him up. He shook my hand and got in the car and I decided that I'd only hate him on autumn Sundays.

Knowing he was well-grounded and pleasant to speak with almost made me feel sorry for him while watching his final game - that 62-7 playoff laugher against the Jags.

Dan Marino isn't a bad guy. He has done alot for Jim Kelly's foundations and they seem to have a sound friendship despite the many battles on sundays. Marino even mentioned Jim's son in his HOF speech.

Jim Kelly has a cabin in Ellicottville and one year he came down there to hunt. A guy i know was asked to show Jim Kelly and a couple of friends some hunting spots. When the guy showed up early in the morning Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and John Elway were waiting in the driveway. He said they were all very down to earth, and seemed to all be really good friends.