For Ra Cha Chaians...WROC format change

Beerball

This has been in the air for a while now. Entercommies trying to knock Clear Channel's "Hot Talk" ... err, "SportsRadio 1280," as they're calling themselves now, out of the game? Or just an admission that Air America wasn't working for them, perhaps.

Still, I have questions: Buffalo only has one full-time sportstalker, but Rochester needs two? And is Schopp going to start talking about the RedWings and Amerks on GR?

This has been in the air for a while now. Entercommies trying to knock Clear Channel's "Hot Talk" ... err, "SportsRadio 1280," as they're calling themselves now, out of the game? Or just an admission that Air America wasn't working for them, perhaps.

Still, I have questions: Buffalo only has one full-time sportstalker, but Rochester needs two? And is Schopp going to start talking about the RedWings and Amerks on GR?

Sorry, assumed it was a change made this week.

He can rant how cheap the owners are and how everything about the teams is a slap in the face.

PTR

A buddy in my fantasy league notified me that Rochester has 2 sports radio stations! Can't beleive Rochester has 2 and Buffalo has 1!

1280 AM which has been a sports station since I have been here.

Now 950 AM is an "ESPN" sports station which switched formats from a liberal talk station.

Mike & Mike switches to 950.

Rome stays on 1280.

"Cow-turd" is on 950.

And "Dope and Bulldog" are now on 950.

Another interesting tidbit is Sabres games will be broadcast on 950 (nothing new) but also on WCMF which is great because 950 signal strength sucks.

-Just thought I'd pass this on to the Rochester Bills fans.

A buddy in my fantasy league notified me that Rochester has 2 sports radio stations! Can't beleive Rochester has 2 and Buffalo has 1!

1280 AM which has been a sports station since I have been here.

Now 950 AM is an "ESPN" sports station which switched formats from a liberal talk station.

Mike & Mike switches to 950.

Rome stays on 1280.

"Cow-turd" is on 950.

And "Dope and Bulldog" are now on 950.

Another interesting tidbit is Sabres games will be broadcast on 950 (nothing new) but also on WCMF which is great because 950 signal strength sucks.

-Just thought I'd pass this on to the Rochester Bills fans.

Dude...THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I've been wondering where the heck Mike and Mike went and last week I heard "Dope" say they'd been syndicated in Rochester, but I couldn't find them on the dial and didn't look on the internet yet. You are the man for this update.

So, the Sabres will have a local radio affiliate in Rochester (did they before?), but the Amerks are now with Florida? Interesting.

So, the Sabres will have a local radio affiliate in Rochester (did they before?), but the Amerks are now with Florida? Interesting.

Sabes have been on 950 AM for last three years but now they are on WCMF and 950. Amerks are and still on 1280.

The playoffs two years ago (not last year :( ), the Buzz 98.9 picked up the broacasts. Besides that I can't recall any local Sabres radio caverage.

Back when I was a young lad, around 1970, 1971...WXXI (Ch 21) use to show some Boston Bruins games...I think it was before the Amerks became a Boston farm and they were still with Vancouver. I remember it very well, although I don't remember if it was the Ch 38 in Boston feed they were getting...maybe HNIC?

I hate when 550 turns its channel off for overnight. Here in Roch it doesn't get switched on until about 7am and it turns off around 5pm or so. I emailed H Simon awhile back and he told me it was FCC rules that WGR had to do this. That's crap as far as i'm concerned it's 2008 for gawds sake, not 1950.

As for Schlepp and Bullfart, they suck. Schlepp is an arrogant, pompous, egotistical, thin skinned idiot and Bullfart, well he's just a doof. Somedays their show is ok but mostly it is lacking. Those 2 really need some competition in WNY because their show needs to be better.

I hate when 550 turns its channel off for overnight. Here in Roch it doesn't get switched on until about 7am and it turns off around 5pm or so. I emailed H Simon awhile back and he told me it was FCC rules that WGR had to do this. That's crap as far as i'm concerned it's 2008 for gawds sake, not 1950.

As for Schlepp and Bullfart, they suck. Schlepp is an arrogant, pompous, egotistical, thin skinned idiot and Bullfart, well he's just a doof. Somedays their show is ok but mostly it is lacking. Those 2 really need some competition in WNY because their show needs to be better.

Howard was correct about the signal, of course. WGR's directional (nighttime) coverage was originally aimed at Toronto, and the east/west boundaries were apparently pulled in when it went to a 5kW signal. To the west, they have to protect against bleeding into WKRC in Cincinnati. Not sure about the east; I'm no expert, but either Brad or Andy should know.

Daytime map

Nighttime map