final cuts are in

dilliards

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having only 1 healthy TE on opening day, when you have Walker and Chambers at the tackle spots (both of whom need "chipping" help from the TE) scares me a bit.

Considering our TEs are arguably some of the least talented players on the team, I'm glad they didn't waste too many roster spots with them.

Correct. Once a player is placed on the active roster on or after the first day of training camp, even if it's just for a single practice, he is no longer eligible for the reserve/PUP list.

As for Dwayne Wright, I knew he was doomed as soon as he chose #31.

Obscure trivia time: supposedly because the player in the original AFL Bills logo wore number 31, that jersey was never issued during the first nine seasons of the team's existence. Backup running back Preston Ridlehuber was the first to wear it, in 1969. He does have one claim to fame, throwing a game-winning halfback-option touchdown pass to Haven Moses against the Patriots, but he was gone after that year. Ever since then, just two players -- cornerbacks J.D. Williams (1990-92, before switching to #29) and Ray Jackson (1996-98) -- have managed to stay on the roster for more than one season after donning the 31 jersey.

Lennox Gordon? Lance Brown? Charlie Rogers? Sammy Morris, who switched to 31 before the 2003 season when Sam Gash came back to reclaim his 33? One-and-done, every one of them. Now, you can apparently add Wright's name to that list.

I suppose I probably shouldn't mention the history (Booth Lusteg, the kicker who was beaten up by Bills fans) of the jersey (Vince Ferragamo: 9 games, 5 TD passes, 17 INTs) currently being worn (Cole Ford, last seen shooting at Siegfried and Roy's house) by Trent Edwards ...

I looooove stories like that. I have one to share too, not as juicy, not as good but I'll give it ago. It's about Hamdan. As far as I know (I lack pre Seahawks and college info) Hamdan has always worn #7 with the exception of his second and third year with the Amsterdam Admirals, his second and third year were both break out seasons. In those seasons in NFL Europe he wore #5. When he landed the Dolphins last year he choose #14 (I assume coming from 2 times 7), allthough he out played (then starter) Cleo Lemon politics again cost him his job (drafting Beck, then under pressure signing of Green and Lemon being resigned with signing bonus prior to the Green thing), and the situation ended up being twice as worse as it was with the Seahawks (no chance of climbing the orster behind Hasselbeck and Wallace). After having had several offers he choose to go to the Bills and offcourse JP carried #7 and Trent #5, curiously he didnt choose #14 maybe because the whole Fish thing had left a very bitter taste but instead went for #10, twice his number with the Admirals during his breakout years.

Sooooo dare I ask what the history is of the Bills #10? :thumbsup:

Not much to report, I'm afraid.

10 - Dan Darragh, Spike Jones, Leo Hart, Davis Mays, David Humm, Matt Kofler, Mark Miller, Rick Tuten, Alex Van Pelt, Kelly Holcomb

A 13th-round selection in the 1968 draft, Darragh was thrown to the wolves after Jack Kemp blew his knee out in a training-camp scrimmage. Career stats (all with Buffalo, 1968-70): 127-296, 42.9 %, 1353 yds, 4 TDs, 22 INTs, 30.4 passer rating.

Yikes.

Jones was a punter. The next five were all backup QBs in Buffalo (Miller during the 1987 replacement games), with varying -- but minimal -- degrees of success. During his single season here (1972), Hart was the only one of the group ever to start a game for Buffalo, a 35-7 loss to the Colts the week after normal starter Dennis Shaw was knocked cold.

(I should probably note here that David Humm does own Super Bowl rings from stints with the first two Raiders championship teams.)

Tuten punted for the Bills' first Super Bowl team, but was jettisoned in favor of Chris Mohr. AVP and Holcomb, you should remember ... and they've probably had the most success of anyone wearing the perfect 10.

Not much to report, I'm afraid.

10 - Dan Darragh, Spike Jones, Leo Hart, Davis Mays, David Humm, Matt Kofler, Mark Miller, Rick Tuten, Alex Van Pelt, Kelly Holcomb

A 13th-round selection in the 1968 draft, Darragh was thrown to the wolves after Jack Kemp blew his knee out in a training-camp scrimmage. Career stats (all with Buffalo, 1968-70): 127-296, 42.9 %, 1353 yds, 4 TDs, 22 INTs, 30.4 passer rating.

Yikes.

Jones was a punter. The next five were all backup QBs in Buffalo (Miller during the 1987 replacement games), with varying -- but minimal -- degrees of success. During his single season here (1972), Hart was the only one of the group ever to start a game for Buffalo, a 35-7 loss to the Colts the week after normal starter Dennis Shaw was knocked cold.

(I should probably note here that David Humm does own Super Bowl rings from stints with the first two Raiders championship teams.)

Tuten punted for the Bills' first Super Bowl team, but was jettisoned in favor of Chris Mohr. AVP and Holcomb, you should remember ... and they've probably had the most success of anyone wearing the perfect 10.

Awesome ty Lori! :devil:

I wonder if there is a connection between it being Alex van Pelt his old number and Gibran choosing it (Alex van Pelt - Gibran Hamdan - NFL Europe connection).