Country Sweet Sauce

Steely Dan

I love Country Sweet sauce. Just made some chicken and I'm letting it soak in the hot variety. For those of you unfamiliar with this sauce it's often referred to as a "Rochester Sauce". It is hot and sweet at the same time. It's damn tasty.

In college my brother swore it must have had something addicting, like cocaine, in the sauce. It comes with macaroni salad that is awesome with the sauce on it. They put bread on the bottom which soaks up some of the sauce. :thumbsup:

Anybody else in love with this sauce? I got this sauce at Wegmans the other day.

Is this something you can do with wings? looking for something different. Do you have a recipe?

If you live in Rochester and maybe Buffalo or Syracuse you can get it at Wegmans. It comes from a restaurant in Rochester. I just looked to see if it was for sale on the internet. If you know someone who lives in Rochester they can probably send you some. Damn tasty. :oops:

Country Sweet:

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup prepared mustard

3/4 cup catsup

1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice

1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)

1/2 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes (crushed red peppers)

Combine all in a small saucepan and simmer until thickened. Vary the amounts of lemon juice and vinegar to adust the sweetness to your liking.

Country Sweet:

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup prepared mustard

3/4 cup catsup

1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar

Combine all in a small saucepan and simmer until thickened. Vary the amounts of lemon juice and vinegar to adust the sweetness to your liking.

Where'd you get that recipe?

Where'd you get that recipe?

Originally from my brother, who got it from a friend who used to work at a restaurant in Rochester that served it. But when I couldn't get ahold of him, I googled "country sweet wings," and found a recipe that looked like what I remembered. I don't remember the lemon juice, but still sounds good to me. Google really is amazing.

• 10 months later...
If you live in Rochester and maybe Buffalo or Syracuse you can get it at Wegmans. It comes from a restaurant in Rochester. I just looked to see if it was for sale on the internet. If you know someone who lives in Rochester they can probably send you some. Damn tasty. :wallbash:

You can get it online from hotshoppe.com, an online store operating out of Syracuse, NY. They don't have a physical store you can visit, as far as I can tell.

Country Sweet:

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup prepared mustard

3/4 cup catsup

1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar

Thanks for the recipe fellow parrothead! :devil:

I'm marinading some chicken in some Chiavettas I brought back from my trip to NY last week. I'm going to whip up a batch of this stuff and try it on the chicken tonight. My son and a buddy of his will be eating dinner at the house tonight, so regardless of the taste, I know the chicken will get eaten up pretty quickly.

If I have some leftover sauce (which judging by the measurements I will) I may try it on ribs this weekend as well.

You can get it online from hotshoppe.com, an online store operating out of Syracuse, NY. They don't have a physical store you can visit, as far as I can tell.

Not anymore, they used to though. Great store to browse though with his huge selection.

Thanks for the recipe fellow parrothead! :devil:

I'm marinading some chicken in some Chiavettas I brought back from my trip to NY last week. I'm going to whip up a batch of this stuff and try it on the chicken tonight. My son and a buddy of his will be eating dinner at the house tonight, so regardless of the taste, I know the chicken will get eaten up pretty quickly.

If I have some leftover sauce (which judging by the measurements I will) I may try it on ribs this weekend as well.

Chiavettas rocks. I'll throw a few chicken legs in the stuff overnight and fire up the grill...Nothing better for chicken.

I love Country Sweet sauce. Just made some chicken and I'm letting it soak in the hot variety. For those of you unfamiliar with this sauce it's often referred to as a "Rochester Sauce". It is hot and sweet at the same time. It's damn tasty.

In college my brother swore it must have had something addicting, like cocaine, in the sauce. It comes with macaroni salad that is awesome with the sauce on it. They put bread on the bottom which soaks up some of the sauce. :devil:

Anybody else in love with this sauce? I got this sauce at Wegmans the other day.

Dam living in Vegas I wish I had some right now.

care to send a bottle down?

What does it taste like?

I'd be more than happy to send you a bottle. It is hard to explain. It is like a cross between bbq sauce and sweet and sour sauce - or heaven as many call it.

• 1 year later...

Country Sweet:

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup prepared mustard

3/4 cup catsup

1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar

Hey- Thanks for posting this very simple recipe. I tried it this week and here are my impressions:

1. I would start with half the mustard and add as desired. Following the recipe above, the finished product was very mustard-dominant in flavor. I had to increase the other ingredients to balance it out. Maybe it's because I used generic yellow mustard. I added the dry mustard, too, which may or may not have been a good idea.

2. I used apple cider vinegar because it was all I could find in the kitchen. I think regular distilled white vinegar would be more appropriate, or at least a half and half mix (cider vinegar is listed as an ingredient in the real CS sauce, but it's near the back of the list).

3. I had to just about double the pepper flakes to get some measurable heat. I guess use your judgement.

4. The longer it simmered, the more it began to resemble the original. Give it some time and you'll be glad you did.

5. I would think about replacing some of the ketchup with straight tomato paste. With ketchup, you are adding a lot of sugar and vinegar to the mix and I think it threw the flavor off a little.

And that's my anal-retentive assessment of home-made Country Sweet sauce. After a few adjustments, I was pretty happy with the finished product. We'll see how it goes over at the Super Bowl party on sunday.