Remember when people had rights in this country?

DrDawkinstein

Somehow, I went to the store earlier today, walked by a cop and managed to not get arrested. I wonder how that happened?

Not saying the cop didn't overreact, but come on people, use a little common sense and you may manage to be able to protest and still go home that night.

so what happens when you are trying to have a peaceful protest and the cops come and start trying to push people off of the premises? do you just say "ok, yessir, im so sorry" and move along and give up and go home?

People still have rights in this country, for example...

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.

You can decide at any time from this moment on to terminate the interview and exercise these rights. ”

Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?

so what happens when you are trying to have a peaceful protest and the cops come and start trying to push people off of the premises? do you just say "ok, yessir, im so sorry" and move along and give up and go home?

Who said it was peaceful?

Did they have a permit, if one was needed?

Were they in a public area? If yes, did they comply with the officers requests?

Were they impeding traffic? Blocking pedestrians?

Were they using profane language?

Was anyone trying to incite a riot?

Can you answer any of these questons?

Neither can I, because like you, I wasn't there. You're making a pretty big leap in logic with you last statement when you have no idea what occured at the protest. I said the cop overreacted and I stand by that, but who's to say they police didn't have a reason to step in, in the first place?

That would be fine if it was a peaceful protest (if there are such things). But when you are yelling and screamig in an armed officers face who sole purpose is to maintain order, than you get what you deserve. I am not advocating beating down anyone for that matter but Tater said it best, find something better to do with your time and effort.

I just wondered if you were posting because you think there was a time when cops were above this.

Police officers are human and certainly prone to overreact. God knows if I had someone screaming in my face for an entire shift, I might cross-check her too. That doesn't make it right, but it happens. If you're respectful to a police officer, you usually get respect back. If not, and you draw an over-reaction, you shouldn't whine about it AND the police officer should get in trouble.

The voice of reason . . . :ph34r:

If the cameras weren't there, maybe the protesters could find something else to do instead of professionally bitching for a living.

It's like someone recently said about left-wing protesters at a political convention long ago: don't they realize that if they get what they're protesting for (in that case, a Marxist government) that no one could then protest? :ph34r:

The professional bitching class never ceases to amaze or confound me.

Why is it that a vast majority of these videos are so conveniently edited?

Agreed, we really need to see about ten minutes leading up to that.

People still have rights in this country, for example...

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.

You can decide at any time from this moment on to terminate the interview and exercise these rights. ”

Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?

Where would we be without the Miranda rights?