Bills/Colts review from Indy

Beerball

This is something that I wanted to mention:

The Bills seemed to exploit a soft zone on some of their early third-down conversions in the passing game.

Anyone else surprised by the depth their DBs were at in some situations? If I remember correctly on the 3rd down conversion to Reed the DB was a good 12-15 yards deep and then dropped deeper at the snap. That left a huge hole for Reed to settle into. We picked up a third & 17 with absolutely no problem.

Indi Linki

Anyone else surprised by the depth their DBs were at in some situations? If I remember correctly on the 3rd down conversion to Reed the DB was a good 12-15 yards deep and then dropped deeper at the snap. That left a huge hole for Reed to settle into. We picked up a third & 17 with absolutely no problem.

Indi Linki

it looked like they were expecting JP to go deep every play.

i don't remember one pass attempt over 15 yards and definately did not see them try a bomb.

it was good to see JP read, choose, throw instead of holding it, holding it, holding it for the bomb- this makes protection easier also when the ball is out quickly

i'll always wonder what kind of QB he would have been in a well planned offense like this appears to be- it definately suits Trent's strength and it appears JP can adapt into it

that should mean good things for the team this year

If I remember correctly on the 3rd down conversion to Reed the DB was a good 12-15 yards deep and then dropped deeper at the snap. That left a huge hole for Reed to settle into. We picked up a third & 17 with absolutely no problem.

The complete lack of sensible route combinations was one of the things I'd been whining about the last couple years. It appears as if Turk is already beginning to flash some effective ones, as witnessed on the play you're referring to.

it looked like they were expecting JP to go deep every play.

i don't remember one pass attempt over 15 yards and definately did not see them try a bomb.

it was good to see JP read, choose, throw instead of holding it, holding it, holding it for the bomb- this makes protection easier also when the ball is out quickly

i'll always wonder what kind of QB he would have been in a well planned offense like this appears to be- it definately suits Trent's strength and it appears JP can adapt into it

that should mean good things for the team this year

And provides definitive proof that both of our QB's were hindered by their "OC". He was a joke and I'm glad to see him gone. I've been VERY surprised by the pass protection we're getting from the new line (esp. w/o Peters in the mix). But it's too early to judge them.

The complete lack of sensible route combinations was one of the things I'd been whining about the last couple years. It appears as if Turk is already beginning to flash some effective ones, as witnessed on the play you're referring to.

You mean you disagreed with 3 or 4 receiving options being clustered in the same zone or immediately adjacent zones at relatively the same depth almost always short of first down yardage...or the everyone go deep with no short options...I can't believe you are questioning an obviously superior scheme.

It seemed like Fairchild was getting small bonuses from every D coordinator we played...

I saw more creativity on one 92 yard drive than the last two years combined..

And provides definitive proof that both of our QB's were hindered by their "OC".

Correction: It provides definitive proof that Edwards was hindered by his OC. Losman simply sucks and is solely responsible for his suckitude.

Just wanted to clear that up before some else did it with a straight face.

You mean you disagreed with 3 or 4 receiving options being clustered in the same zone or immediately adjacent zones at relatively the same depth almost always short of first down yardage...or the everyone go deep with no short options...I can't believe you are questioning an obviously superior scheme.

It seemed like Fairchild was getting small bonuses from every D coordinator we played...

I saw more creativity on one 92 yard drive than the last two years combined..

I remember at one point they were looking at a 3rd/short around midfield. They come out with their base offense, pulling Reed in on the TE's hip and leaving Evans out wide. At the snap JP takes a straight drop without even a hint of playaction, Reed stays in with the maxprotect and they run Evans out there by himself on a post. He was Losman's only option and there was 3 freaking guys covering him.

I'd been catching hell here for a year for giving Fairchild hell for over a year, even though my complaints were relatively mild. But I think that was the week I snapped and got on TSW after the game and actually wished for Fairchild to step in front of a Robitussin-sodden bus driver on the way home. :angry:

I remember at one point they were looking at a 3rd/short around midfield. They come out with their base offense, pulling Reed in on the TE's hip and leaving Evans out wide. At the snap JP takes a straight drop without even a hint of playaction, Reed stays in with the maxprotect and they run Evans out there by himself on a post. He was Losman's only option and there was 3 freaking guys covering him.

I'd been catching hell here for a year for giving Fairchild hell for over a year, even though my complaints were relatively mild. But I think that was the week I snapped and got on TSW after the game and actually wished for Fairchild to step in front of a Robitussin-sodden bus driver on the way home. :nana:

I'll point to a play last night that spells out the difference for me. The third and 7 or 8 on the 92 yard drive..around mid-field. The Colts sent 7 -- we blocked with 6 and the back (held the tight end in ) cleared with 2 receivers and sent Jenkins from the outside across the slot on a little 5 yard in into the open zone left by the blitzing backer..he catches a nice, easy, calm throw on a 3 step drop by JP and picks up the first with the open room created. The line had to hold for like a 2 count to get the play off...they did their job... Fairchild would have allowed the D to double everyone in the pattern by holding another guy in...its the difference between playing scared and playing smart....hopefully it continues..