Some issues worth converation in August 2008

I am interested in the following issues,

#1 I am not sure how the Superbowl loss will effect the team in New England. The Patriots COULD go on another run of the undefeated during the regular season and it will mean virtually nothing to them now. I EXPECT them to lose some games during the season as most opposing teams will be gunning for them.

That loss will have some effect on the Patriots, I for one believe they will not be the same team in 2008-09.

Could they miss the playoffs.......sure they could.

#2 The Media in New York may believe Brett Farve will provide the answers and somehow lift this team to the playoffs. The guy is not Super human but he is capable of winning a few close games for them, I do not think even Brett Farve can over come a new system and he has a limited future in football.

I see one season then retirement, a huge press conference, media hype and yet another frustrated team without a starting QB.

#3 J.P. Losman is still a topic of discussion in Buffalo. I for one don't believe he will go quietly. A trade makes sense for both Losman and the Buffalo Bills.

There will be several quality QB's available at the final 53. Should the situation make sense, another veteran QB could be coming to Buffalo.

Should the team become divided on starting QB's, that will not be a good situation in Buffalo

#4 The Jason Peters situation reeks of unresolved issues of renegotiating a new deal after an injury, with 3 years remaining on his old deal.

My guess is the Bills do not want to commit cap space to a player unwilling to attend camp, just to hobble off the field with the SAME injury.

The best time to address this issue would be after 2008-09. I believe this is an agent- player choke hold on a understandably cautious Buffalo Bills.

#5 To Dick Jauron, I would like to believe the following

A. You learned something about clock management against Dallas

B. You realize that getting the ball to Marshawn Lynch & Roscoe Parrish in open space as receivers COULD be critical to 2008-09.

C. You have settled on a TE. The fans have been searching for years, and it appears Robert Royal is still the best option.

D. Losman becomes a free agent in 2009, and a decent offer by another team is better then receiving absolutely nothing.

Your Comments are WELCOME

-DIE-HARD 1967

#1 I am not sure how the Superbowl loss will effect the team in New England. The Patriots COULD go on another run of the undefeated during the regular season and it will mean virtually nothing to them now. I EXPECT them to lose some games during the season as most opposing teams will be gunning for them.

#2 The Media in New York may believe Brett Farve will provide the answers and somehow lift this team to the playoffs. The guy is not Super human but he is capable of winning a few close games for them, I do not think even Brett Farve can over come a new system and he has a limited future in football.

I see one season then retirement, a huge press conference, media hype and yet another frustrated team without a starting QB.

#3 J.P. Losman is still a topic of discussion in Buffalo. I for one don't believe he will go quietly. A trade makes sense for both Losman and the Buffalo Bills.

There will be several quality QB's available at the final 53. Should the situation make sense, another veteran QB could be coming to Buffalo.

#4 The Jason Peters situation reeks of unresolved issues of renegotiating a new deal after an injury, with 3 years remaining on his old deal.

My guess is the Bills do not want to commit cap space to a player unwilling to attend camp, just to hobble off the field with the SAME injury.

The best time to address this issue would be after 2008-09. I believe this is an agent- player choke hold on a understandably cautious Buffalo Bills.

B. You realize that getting the ball to Marshawn Lynch & Roscoe Parrish in open space as receivers is COULD be critical to 2008-09.

C. You have settled on a TE.

D. Losman becomes a free agent in 2009, and a decent offer by another team is better then nothing.

-DIE-HARD 1967

#1:I'm not sure the superbowl loss will provide a hangover, if anything it will be more motivation. I also dont think the giants provided a blueprint to beat them because not everyone has the D-Line personnel of the giants to pull that off. Their vulnerabilities lie in their secondary, which we can hopefully exploit. Unfortunately, their offense could be just as good as last year, but hopefully our d will be formidable enough to at least put up a fight this year. I wouldn't count on them missing the playoffs tho.

#2: I'm definitely not drinking the Brett Favre kool-aid. He'll probably be an improvement, but considering his age, not being in a city where he is a god, and getting acclimated to a new team, I think his season will be a lot more like 05/06 than '07. I really don't see the jets going over .500 and I think we match up very well with them on paper. And if you think Alan Feneca is still a pro bowl caliber guard, you haven't watched the steelers since 2005.

#3: I've posted this before, but I think that talent wise JP is an above average back up qb. He knows the players and coaches and so far he hasn't been a malcotent. I dont see a controversy, Trents the guy and thats not gonna change. I think our best option is too keep him for this year, then let him go in FA.

#4: I dont know if we have to wait til after the season to address Peters contract, but the bills would be nuts to give him a new contract without an extremely throrough examination from the team doctors and a few practices to see how he looks. The Bills are doing the right thing by not negotiating until then, and Peters' agent is doing him a real disservice if he's telling him not to go to camp. That being said, if he is healthy, he does deserve a new contract, he's arguably the best player on the offense and we're gonna need him if we're gonna take the steps that we should offensively.

#5. A. Agreed, not just clock management, but general timidity at the end of halves. I feel like at the end of every 1st half we'd be happy to kneel on the ball and go into the locker room, while at the end of every 1st and 2nd half we'd go into a prevent and let the other team get an easy score. I really hope this changes. Play to win, stop playing not to lose!

B. I dont think this is up to Jauron, this is all about Fairchild and from what I saw against the steelers it looks like he gets it, lets hope it carries over to the regular season

C. I have not given up on Robert Royal, even before the preseason game, I thought it was an uncreative offense, not a lack of ability holding him back, hopefully I'm right.

D. See #3, if we were getting high draft picks offered to us, he'd already be gone, but if not, we're better off keeping him as a back up

E. GO BILLS!

That loss will have some effect on the Patriots, I for one believe they will not be the same team in 2008-09.

I agree that there are lots of question marks surrounding the Pats. They were actually discussing this on Sirius this past week - and the Pats* sure as hell have looked sloppy over hte past couple of pre-season games.

With rumors that Brady had an MRI, they may be off to a slow start this season.

It wouldn't shock me to see him play 2 more years, but I do agree with you that he won't add all that much. The Jets still have major problems on the OL and D, although they have good skill position players. Favre will probably help them win one or two more games than they would have, putting them at 6-10 or 7-9.

While a trade does indeed make sense, Losman hasn't ever been anything but mature about competing for the starting job or being the #2 guy, even last season. I think he'll quietly handle being the backup this year if he isn't traded, and look for a team where he has a chance to compete for the starting role during the off-season (perhaps with the Jets after Favre retires? :unsure: )

No real comment from me here, I see the validity in the arguments from both sides.

B. You realize that getting the ball to Marshawn Lynch & Roscoe Parrish in open space as receivers is COULD be critical to 2008-09.

C. You have settled on a TE. The fans have been searching for years, and it appears Robert Royal is still the best option.

D. Losman becomes a free agent in 2009, and a decent offer by another team is better then receiving absolutely nothing.

I agree with A,B,C, but I'd much prefer having Losman over one of hte available free agent QBs (Culpepper? Lorenzen? Yuck). Trading Losman for a 7th round pick and then signing a FA QB isn't all that exciting of a prospect to me.

I agree that there are lots of question marks surrounding the Pats. They were actually discussing this on Sirius this past week - and the Pats* sure as hell have looked sloppy over hte past couple of pre-season games.

With rumors that Brady had an MRI, they may be off to a slow start this season.

It wouldn't shock me to see him play 2 more years, but I do agree with you that he won't add all that much. The Jets still have major problems on the OL and D, although they have good skill position players. Favre will probably help them win one or two more games than they would have, putting them at 6-10 or 7-9.

While a trade does indeed make sense, Losman hasn't ever been anything but mature about competing for the starting job or being the #2 guy, even last season. I think he'll quietly handle being the backup this year if he isn't traded, and look for a team where he has a chance to compete for the starting role during the off-season (perhaps with the Jets after Favre retires? :unsure: )

No real comment on me here, I see the validity in the arguments from both sides.

I agree with A,B,C, but I'd much prefer having Losman over one of hte available free agent QBs (Culpepper? Lorenzen? Yuck). Trading Losman for a 7th round pick and then signing a FA QB isn't all that exciting of a prospect to me.

I believe Losman will fairly quiet and if I was him I would look for a new deal in Buffalo.

He will receive nothing more then a incentive rich contract.

Nobody will offer starting money.

Thanks, you are right on the money again.

Your comments are great!

#1 - It is an interesting - though not unprecedented situation... not that we've had an undefeated team up to a championship game before who loses... but a team who many believed would win loses... The trouble with the Pats* is... They don't have the spygate chip on their shoulder this year... (OK, they have the SB loss chip, but it isn't the same)... Also, the Giants didn't just eke out a win, they laid out a blueprint of rushing Brady, knocking him down, and rattling him to get in his head. Not every team is capable of this... but, you can bet a lot will try, and maybe someone injures Brady worse.

All that said... They are still the team to beat in the AFC East.

#2 - Favre is going to have a wake-up call... NYC is not Green Bay Wisconsin... he doesn't know his receivers (Franks isn't the Franks he knew), the media won't be easy on him if he throws late game losing picks, and the AFC isn't the NFC in terms of teams - he'll have a lot to deal with. I don't think the Jets are much better with him, other than makng a few fans happy in the short term for seeing their GM "do something".

#3 - JP L isn't going anywhere this season. What team would trade for a player you know will be available at the end of the season? He has been decent in preseason (better week 1 than week 2, but not bad). He'll be a better backup for us than any other potential QB, and in the NFL, you need a solid backup at QB. Assuming nothing weird happens, I expect he'll get signed somewhere next offseason - like maybe Chicago...

#4 - Peters will eventually show up... The Bills are willing to talk extension, but not willing (publicly anyway) to renegotiate 2008... They want him to play this year on this contract. My guess is he'll get an extension either midseason, or next offseason unless he does some prolonged holdout - or something drastic happens... It's a sad situation for both sides. I'd love to see Evans get his extension soon - as is being reported, that would at least show Peters good things happen to those who participate.

#5 - Bluefire is spot on... if you read the comments made in the CBS article, Jauron is stating he just wants points on the board and doesn't care how the offense does it. Something happened last season, there had to be a reason for the bizarre playcalling from game 1... we'll probably never know where it originated, but lots of fans attributed it to Jauron being conservative and/or our inept OC. The clock management problem is his issue, and for some reason it's always been an issue in Buffalo... maybe it's that defensive assistant who's been here since Marv's day making the Timeout decisions... :unsure:

#1 - A healthy Brady, Moss, Welker, Maroney, Watson, and OL will equal alot of scoring for the Pats again. Their defense is old, like walking with a cane old in football terms. I think they'll lose 4 games in the regular season. Which 4 you say? Psh, I don't know. I'm just guessing.

#2 - Brett could be the thorn in our side that keeps us from the playoffs this year, but I'm hoping otherwise. I hope the pressure of the NY media is too much for footbal's "Great One". He has the people around him that could help the team succed if he gets the system down though. Their defense will be the question. Will it be consistent enough to get 9 or 10 wins?

#3 - Losman is a Bill this year. That's it. No one is going to trade for the guy. We also need a guy as a backup who's been around for the offseason training. Hamdan homers need not reply.

#4 - Peters can't afford to stay gone but so long. Does that mean he'll be welcomed back to the starting line-up with open arms? No. If our line is playing well without him, watch him sit the sidelines for a few games just to prove a point. Do I hope he returns to our team? Heck Yeah!!! But what kind of attitude will he return with?

#5 - Jauron wants to win. He knows he's on a "hot seat" of sorts this season. Our team went out and got a couple of good players for the D and drafted what could be a solid compliment to Lee Evans. This year could land him an extension or it could land him a pink slip. He knows it and will show that he's smarter than he looks.

Should the team become divided on starting QB's, that will not be a good situation in Buffalo

B. You realize that getting the ball to Marshawn Lynch & Roscoe Parrish in open space as receivers COULD be critical to 2008-09.

-DIE-HARD 1967

Excellent post. Succinct and right on.

#1:I'm not sure the superbowl loss will provide a hangover, if anything it will be more motivation. I also dont think the giants provided a blueprint to beat them because not everyone has the D-Line personnel of the giants to pull that off. Their vulnerabilities lie in their secondary, which we can hopefully exploit. Unfortunately, their offense could be just as good as last year, but hopefully our d will be formidable enough to at least put up a fight this year. I wouldn't count on them missing the playoffs tho.

E. GO BILLS!

I think this year will be quite interesting for the Pats*. It'll really show how much character and heart that team has. How many teams have been so highly favored to win the Superbowl only to lose it and then still make the Superbowl the following year. Not many.

That's one of the most amazing things about the Bills of the 90's. To make it back for 4 consecutive years was nothing short of incredible. That was a team of heart. I'm not sure the Pats* are.

I #5 To Dick Jauron, I would like to believe the following

Given the amount of TC and OTA time spend on 2 minute offense and otherwise time pressured drives I firmly believe he has this top on his list of things to improve on this season.

#1 - A healthy Brady, Moss, Welker, Maroney, Watson, and OL will equal alot of scoring for the Pats again. Their defense is old, like walking with a cane old in football terms. I think they'll lose 4 games in the regular season. Which 4 you say? Psh, I don't know. I'm just guessing.

#2 - Brett could be the thorn in our side that keeps us from the playoffs this year, but I'm hoping otherwise. I hope the pressure of the NY media is too much for footbal's "Great One". He has the people around him that could help the team succed if he gets the system down though. Their defense will be the question. Will it be consistent enough to get 9 or 10 wins?

#3 - Losman is a Bill this year. That's it. No one is going to trade for the guy. We also need a guy as a backup who's been around for the offseason training. Hamdan homers need not reply.

#4 - Peters can't afford to stay gone but so long. Does that mean he'll be welcomed back to the starting line-up with open arms? No. If our line is playing well without him, watch him sit the sidelines for a few games just to prove a point. Do I hope he returns to our team? Heck Yeah!!! But what kind of attitude will he return with?

#5 - Jauron wants to win. He knows he's on a "hot seat" of sorts this season. Our team went out and got a couple of good players for the D and drafted what could be a solid compliment to Lee Evans. This year could land him an extension or it could land him a pink slip. He knows it and will show that he's smarter than he looks.

I respect your option but if the team becomes divided, Losman has got to go!

I prefer to keep him but the issue is bigger then any player.

5B is a question for Turk, not Dick. 5D is a question for Russ Brandon, not Dick.

But I guess, maybe he is the overlord of the Bills, and controls everything?

Well, one of the things that has been reported with the departure of Levy is that Jauron's influence has gone up. I would venture to guess that it Jauron has a say in everything, as he should (since he's the coach and implementing the systems).