Biggest thing I noticed

Stussy109

The 1st string defensive front four got A LOT of pressure from 4 man rushes. If we can continue this we will be a successful defense. Not to mention, if the offense can do half of what they did in all 4 quarters, we can put up 28pts/game and win 10+ games this year. Stroud commanded double teams and still fought through them. Both Schobel and Kelsay got ample pressure. i even saw Kyle williams jumping the snap count several times.

The 1st string defensive front four got A LOT of pressure from 4 man rushes. If we can continue this we will be a successful defense. Not to mention, if the offense can do half of what they did in all 4 quarters, we can put up 28pts/game and win 10+ games this year. Stroud commanded double teams and still fought through them. Both Schobel and Kelsay got ample pressure. i even saw Kyle williams jumping the snap count several times.

The biggest thing I noticed was between my legs. Do ya hear me people huh, I'm here all week folks!

I agree with you. Things look a lot better this year.

The defense made a couple of good stops but they still were giving up large chunks of yards. The Stillers were moving the ball quite well until the pick. The other series they moved the ball quite abit as well. I would have to check the stats to see how many yards they gave up. It's something to keep an eye in the next game.

I thought McCargo was going to crack the 1st string ? Is he 2nd string at this point?

The defense made a couple of good stops but they still were giving up large chunks of yards. The Stillers were moving the ball quite well until the pick. The other series they moved the ball quite abit as well. I would have to check the stats to see how many yards they gave up. It's something to keep an eye in the next game.

I thought McCargo was going to crack the 1st string ? Is he 2nd string at this point?

Aw geez, I need to get a new pair of shoes again.

I agree the thing that killed the drives was penalties, not our defense :unsure: I thought they could of played better. I liked watching the second team better until the rookie qb ran in. He is a threat. If big Ben goes down I would start him not Leftywimp.

I agree the thing that killed the drives was penalties, not our defense :unsure: I thought they could of played better.

True they could have played better, but saying that the Steelers' drives were killed by penalties is false. There was one penalty on the first drive, a holding penalty by Justin Hartwig, and he was holding Stroud. And that drive ended on an INT. Both of those things were caused by the defense. And Big Ben is a big and mobile guy who can, and did on that drive, make things happen on the fly. On the second there was also one penalty, a 5-yard false start (to take it from 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 10), but it wouldn't have prevented Roethlisberger from failing to complete the pass on the 3rd down.

I think that Will James needs to be removed from nickel CB. And I hope that Crowell (and Peters, and Reed, for competition sake) comes back soon.

True they could have played better, but saying that the Steelers' drives were killed by penalties is false. There was one penalty on the first drive, a holding penalty by Justin Hartwig, and he was holding Stroud. And that drive ended on an INT. Both of those things were caused by the defense. And Big Ben is a big and mobile guy who can, and did on that drive, make things happen on the fly. On the second there was also one penalty, a 5-yard false start (to take it from 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 10), but it wouldn't have prevented Roethlisberger from failing to complete the pass on the 3rd down.

I think that Will James needs to be removed from nickel CB. And I hope that Crowell (and Peters, and Reed, for competition sake) comes back soon.

Exactly, holding isn't done by guys who are handling their guy well. Holding calls are most often because of the defense and not just by sloppy O-line play. VOR is right that false starts are often caused by D as well. If an O-lineman feels overmatched he can make that nervous twitch. Penalties are signs of an undisciplined team and I don't see why that makes the Bills any less effective. A good team takes advantage of those mistakes.

Exactly, holding isn't done by guys who are handling their guy well. Holding calls are most often because of the defense and not just by sloppy O-line play. VOR is right that false starts are often caused by D as well. If an O-lineman feels overmatched he can make that nervous twitch. Penalties are signs of an undisciplined team and I don't see why that makes the Bills any less effective. A good team takes advantage of those mistakes.

exactly

That was good to see; however when they had chances at sacks they didn't get them. On the Whitner INT, Schobel actually held up and didn't hit Ben when he could've. Had he actually decided to, he would've been called for roughing the passer but he had time to do it before that but didn't.

That was good to see; however when they had chances at sacks they didn't get them. On the Whitner INT, Schobel actually held up and didn't hit Ben when he could've. Had he actually decided to, he would've been called for roughing the passer but he had time to do it before that but didn't.

? I don't remember the exact play but there has to be a better reason for that I would think.

Not on the ground, they weren't. Big Ben made a couple great plays to buy time and hit someone who eventually got open. If the Bills D doesn't improve much from their play last week, we'll still be in great shape, I believe.

They had no sacks, Roethlisburger was rarely under any initial pressure and what pressure he was under usually was 6 or 7 seconds into the play. The Steelers had little difficulty moving the ball. Except for that INT that bounced right into Whitner's hands say what you want about the D, but if you think that Edwards had a good game, Roethlisburger had more yards and a comparable game otherwise.

The secondary played much better than the front seven. If that stays that way it's not gonna be good.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's far too much focus here on how things looked contrasted with what the results were.

It was the first time the 1st string defense (minus Crowell) has played together. They will get better. The Steelers have a good offense. If Big Ben was most any other QB, he would have taken a few more sacks. Additionally, Cover 2 defenses will give up yards. However, they operate under the notation that if you limit big plays, offenses will beat themselves. It's hard on any level for a team to string together 15 plays without sometime of screw up.

This defense will be fine and IMO, a top 10 defense in points allowed.

It was the first time the 1st string defense (minus Crowell) has played together. They will get better. The Steelers have a good offense. If Big Ben was most any other QB, he would have taken a few more sacks. Additionally, Cover 2 defenses will give up yards. However, they operate under the notation that if you limit big plays, offenses will beat themselves. It's hard on any level for a team to string together 15 plays without sometime of screw up.

This defense will be fine and IMO, a top 10 defense in points allowed.

Great points, the Tampa 2 is a bend but don't break type of defense, & will give up many yards without giving up many points (hopefully).

They had no sacks, Roethlisburger was rarely under any initial pressure and what pressure he was under usually was 6 or 7 seconds into the play. The Steelers had little difficulty moving the ball. Except for that INT that bounced right into Whitner's hands say what you want about the D, but if you think that Edwards had a good game, Roethlisburger had more yards and a comparable game otherwise.

The secondary played much better than the front seven. If that stays that way it's not gonna be good.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's far too much focus here on how things looked contrasted with what the results were.

True, other than scoring zero points and throwing an INT against the Bills' starting defense, Roethlisberger had a comparable game to Edwards. :rolleyes:

I pray I'm never forced to watch a game near you. You're terrible. :rolleyes:

I was VERY impressed with our starting defense......

Those pass plays were not initially open.....Ben had to scramble out of the pocket then he throught the ball....he should have been sacked.

secondary no matter how good are not going to stick to pro bowl receivers forever......

If they play like that every game in season....we will be fine.