The Skins Game Revisited...

I just got done re-watching Saturday's game with the benefit of far too much time and DVR, rewind ability. A few things stand out the second time around:

-We did not look nearly as bad as I originally thought. I am NOT a Trent guy (or JP guy for that matter) to this point, but Trent's stat line is very misleading. He had the one terrible ball over the middle, but beside that throw he looked OK -- certainly not catastrophic. He had a drop and had to deal with some confusion by some of his young teamates -- cough cough -- not going to name names. His ball to Roscoe on third and long was perfect. He by no means created ANY controversy at the QB position with his play this weekend.

-JP looked damn good. He was smart, checked down when neccesary and seemed to have the touch he was missing in years past. If Roscoe hadn't dropped that very catchable ball, JP's performance would almost have been flawless.

-Roscoe... Damn. That guy NEEDS to have the ball in his hands. Watching him run wild makes you wonder if Donte's comments, about him being unguardable in the slot one one one (by anyone in the league) are more truth than just complementing a teamate.

-I think we are competitively two deep at QB and RB. Marshawn looked every bit the work horse we know he is, and Fred Jackson looked the pass-catching, slasher compliment to a T. JP (year five lol) may finally have had some of Hamdan's chroise rub off on him. I think JP will prove very valuable to this team with Trent's propensity for injury. At any rate, both quarterbacks should be serviceable when called upon. With Trent's inteligence and physical evolution, and JP's progression into year five, it would seem we have two QBs moving in the right direction.

-The defense is what it is. Scrappy, over-achieving and swarming. We have young talent that, as said many times before, needs to come into it's own. If we can stay healthy we could be scary good on that side of the ball, if not, who the hells knows.

-James Hardy, once he screws his large, boxy head on completely, is a game changer. His rare size and body control will put TDs on the board. His TD was a glimpse of how dangerous he can be. 6'5'', 215 is not coachable. He fits our last-season prayers perfectly. Once he gets the jitters out, he will be absolutely lethal.

-Our special teams are the best in the league. Period. Leodis makes us that much more combustible.

All in all, this was what I needed to see. As strange as that may sound, I was very impressed for a first preseason game, on the road, against a deep and talented team. I am as synical as they come, but for those of you ready to cash in the chips based on what you saw Saturday -- I just can't get on board with that. We are an improved team with TREMENDOUS upside. I'm telling you folks, we are going to be good for a while.

And damn, it feels good to say (and believe) that.

JP also showed flashes of his former self when he held onto the ball for about 7 seconds and took a sack, rather than throwing the ball out of bounds or running.

I can't say I agree with you there. It was a blown blocking scheme and there really wasn't a quick check down. For me, old JP makes a stupid ass pass in that situation, possibly an INT. I agree that in the past he's held the ball too long. However, in that instance I think taking the sack and protecting the ball was the smart play.

Given the head coach, I'm not surprised; but, it was sort of a wasted opportunity to have Trent in there for only two series and both of those series looked more like fluster ducks than sound execution. I understand the "protect the starter" thing just fine; but, it really is a stretch to assume that the Bills horrendous offense of 07 is just going to lurch into effectiveness in 08 with no significant work. And, I don't mean just the QB position. Why not leave the guys in there until they can execute a string of, oh, 5 plays in a row correctly?

I can't say I agree with you there. It was a blown blocking scheme and there really wasn't a quick check down. For me, old JP makes a stupid ass pass in that situation, possibly an INT. I agree that in the past he's held the ball too long. However, in that instance I think taking the sack and protecting the ball was the smart play.

I just realized my last post may have sounded too negative. I thought he looked good. But, I saw some of his old poor decisions creeping up in plays like that one. He'd be a great backup anywhere, I just don't think he's a starter. I like Trent a lot, but I'm still unsure as to where he falls on that spectrum. I totally agree with the complaint above too though. Exactly what are we "saving" Trent for? He NEEDS more game experience. Why coddle someone who has never played a full season? If he can't make it through a preseason do you honestly think he is going to be a durable QB for us in the long run? He needs PT.

I just got done re-watching Saturday's game with the benefit of far too much time and DVR, rewind ability. A few things stand out the second time around:

-We did not look nearly as bad as I originally thought. I am NOT a Trent guy (or JP guy for that matter) to this point, but Trent's stat line is very misleading. He had the one terrible ball over the middle, but beside that throw he looked OK -- certainly not catastrophic. He had a drop and had to deal with some confusion by some of his young teamates -- cough cough -- not going to name names. His ball to Roscoe on third and long was perfect. He by no means created ANY controversy at the QB position with his play this weekend.

-JP looked damn good. He was smart, checked down when neccesary and seemed to have the touch he was missing in years past. If Roscoe hadn't dropped that very catchable ball, JP's performance would almost have been flawless.

-Roscoe... Damn. That guy NEEDS to have the ball in his hands. Watching him run wild makes you wonder if Donte's comments, about him being unguardable in the slot one one one (by anyone in the league) are more truth than just complementing a teamate.

-I think we are competitively two deep at QB and RB. Marshawn looked every bit the work horse we know he is, and Fred Jackson looked the pass-catching, slasher compliment to a T. JP (year five lol) may finally have had some of Hamdan's chroise rub off on him. I think JP will prove very valuable to this team with Trent's propensity for injury. At any rate, both quarterbacks should be serviceable when called upon. With Trent's inteligence and physical evolution, and JP's progression into year five, it would seem we have two QBs moving in the right direction.

-The defense is what it is. Scrappy, over-achieving and swarming. We have young talent that, as said many times before, needs to come into it's own. If we can stay healthy we could be scary good on that side of the ball, if not, who the hells knows.

-James Hardy, once he screws his large, boxy head on completely, is a game changer. His rare size and body control will put TDs on the board. His TD was a glimpse of how dangerous he can be. 6'5'', 215 is not coachable. He fits our last-season prayers perfectly. Once he gets the jitters out, he will be absolutely lethal.

-Our special teams are the best in the league. Period. Leodis makes us that much more combustible.

All in all, this was what I needed to see. As strange as that may sound, I was very impressed for a first preseason game, on the road, against a deep and talented team. I am as synical as they come, but for those of you ready to cash in the chips based on what you saw Saturday -- I just can't get on board with that. We are an improved team with TREMENDOUS upside. I'm telling you folks, we are going to be good for a while.

A sensible, reasonable, positive post! What the hell is happening to this place?

:lol:

Given the head coach, I'm not surprised; but, it was sort of a wasted opportunity to have Trent in there for only two series and both of those series looked more like fluster ducks than sound execution. I understand the "protect the starter" thing just fine; but, it really is a stretch to assume that the Bills horrendous offense of 07 is just going to lurch into effectiveness in 08 with no significant work. And, I don't mean just the QB position. Why not leave the guys in there until they can execute a string of, oh, 5 plays in a row correctly?

The pre-season is 1/4 way over. But let me ask, do you think that Trent playing 2-3 more series (i.e. the whole 1st quarter) would constitute "significant work?"

Oh and BTW, it's fuster clucks.

The pre-season is 1/4 way over. But let me ask, do you think that Trent playing 2-3 more series (i.e. the whole 1st quarter) would constitute "significant work?"

Well, I realize that it was only the first pre-season game. Did I ever in any way indicate that it was not? I also realize that there are more games upcoming for them to work in the "new" Schonert offense and attempt to get a little cohesion. I know it is a team sport and it therefore takes effective teamwork, in other words proper execution and especially at the elite professional level, in order to look like more than a rag tag group of bumbling incompetents when the real games begin. Frankly, I consider these facts glaringly obvious.

Trent played 2 series which was all but -- what, 1 snap? -- of the 1st quarter. Thus, your question is incoherent to me. Two failed series with zero touchdowns and no sustained drives is nothing to write home and crow about. Five total passes is not a significant body of work, no.

Playing only the first quarter is standard practice for teams with established starters that have already shown they know what it takes to win in this league and the offensive unit has shown it is capable of moving the chains and scoring. The Bills offense hasn't shown these things with Trent Edwards. Turk Schonert is a rookie OC and it's not an automatic that he has the pulse of what his starters are going to do well and not.

The best counter-argument is that the Bills are using pre-season game 1 to evaluate their depth, so they didn't want to "waste" snaps on guys that are going to make the team and instead want to rotate their depth in early and often. That's a reasonable argument, though the offensive and defensive starting line-ups were both bottom feeders last year. So, there should be a little suspicion that perhaps, maybe, the starters need to go under the microscope a little more to make sure they really are "all that".

6'5'', 215 is not coachable

Boy, you're not kidding. There are only 2 "ifs" with the kid. "If" he can stay healthy and "if" he can mentally deal with the pro game. The athletic portion is off the charts. He'll be friggin' uncoverable if those questions get answered.

Well, I realize that it was only the first pre-season game. Did I ever in any way indicate that it was not? I also realize that there are more games upcoming for them to work in the "new" Schonert offense and attempt to get a little cohesion. I know it is a team sport and it therefore takes effective teamwork, in other words proper execution and especially at the elite professional level, in order to look like more than a rag tag group of bumbling incompetents when the real games begin. Frankly, I consider these facts glaringly obvious.

Trent played 2 series which was all but -- what, 1 snap? -- of the 1st quarter. Thus, your question is incoherent to me. Two failed series with zero touchdowns and no sustained drives is nothing to write home and crow about. Five total passes is not a significant body of work, no.

Playing only the first quarter is standard practice for teams with established starters that have already shown they know what it takes to win in this league and the offensive unit has shown it is capable of moving the chains and scoring. The Bills offense hasn't shown these things with Trent Edwards. Turk Schonert is a rookie OC and it's not an automatic that he has the pulse of what his starters are going to do well and not.

The best counter-argument is that the Bills are using pre-season game 1 to evaluate their depth, so they didn't want to "waste" snaps on guys that are going to make the team and instead want to rotate their depth in early and often. That's a reasonable argument, though the offensive and defensive starting line-ups were both bottom feeders last year. So, there should be a little suspicion that perhaps, maybe, the starters need to go under the microscope a little more to make sure they really are "all that".

All of that makes a lot of sense. Let's hope we see a bit more from the starters Thursday night, and then next week in Indy. I still don't think we'll "scheme" for the opponent, but I agree I'd like to see them get a little more work.

I think he was looking at who gets practice sqaud and who gets the axe. The Trent only was in there for 5 passes shift doesn't worry me yet.

The Bills have some time and this board is full of Worrisome Wandas. If DJ comes out at the Seahacks game and says "I wish we had more time" I would be a bit surprised and upset but not until then. :wallbash:

I DVR'ed the game and watched it for the first time last night. Football aside, Theisman is THE WORST ANAL-IST EVER! I can't stand that idiot! If you want evidence of how much of a complete idiot he is take a look at the pass interference play that we challenged and listen to his 'insightful' commentary. That dude has no business commentating on anything!

What a fuggin moron...OK, my rant is over.

I really have to agree with everything you said since I just rewatched the game myself. The one thing you neglected to mention though is the coaching. I know it's preseason but I seriously think that coaching is going to keep this young and talented team down. I really can't see Jauron letting the offense open it up and utilize weapons like Roscoe and defensively, he will keep them playing smart and bend don't break, but not aggressive.

I hope I'm wrong but the inability to really look aggressive on either side of the ball Saturday, especially with the 1st units, brought back too many nightmares from last year. Gonig 3 and out then watching them run all over our defense is just to coincidental.

Football aside, Theisman is THE WORST ANAL-IST EVER! I can't stand that idiot! If you want evidence of how much of a complete idiot he is take a look at the pass interference play that we challenged and listen to his 'insightful' commentary. That dude has no business commentating on anything!

I used to think Mike Patrick was okay...at least he did a decent job doing play-by-play. But that performance solidified it for me....he is absolutely brainless. I could not imagine anyone doing a more worthless job at play-by-play.

Boy, you're not kidding. There are only 2 "ifs" with the kid. "If" he can stay healthy and "if" he can mentally deal with the pro game. The athletic portion is off the charts. He'll be friggin' uncoverable if those questions get answered.

Make that 3 ifs: IF he can stay out of trouble with the law.

My 2 cents: JP's long completion to Roscoe was well underthrown, and the short throw over the middle to Roscoe was low and behind him. He had to stop to catch it, then run back the other way, as opposed to continuing forward. And in defense of Wright, he took a direct shot to the head on his fumble. I remember Travis got hit like that a few years ago and he also fumbled.

My 2 cents: JP's long completion to Roscoe was well underthrown, and the short throw over the middle to Roscoe was low and behind him. He had to stop to catch it, then run back the other way, as opposed to continuing forward. And in defense of Wright, he took a direct shot to the head on his fumble. I remember Travis got hit like that a few years ago and he also fumbled.

My 2 cents: Those 2 passes you refer to were both COMPLETIONS. If Trent had a few more of those he would have had more than 5 pass attempts, & oh yeah it would be NICE to see Trent toss a TD pass before the season is over.