Pennington likely to be cut

Should the Jets let Pennington go with Favre in the fold, would you consider him as a backup/mentor to Trent Edwards, especially after JP moves on? He had some very good seasons, and plays a similar style.

Or is there just too much stench of losing around him since his injuries?

I'd take him as a back up if I was a little more confident in Trent's ability to stay healthy, and if he can make it through this year I'll be convinced of that. It really is a shame about JP. If he had a better attitude about it he'd make a great back up. I can't blame him though, I still think he has the ability to be a starter in the NFL, he just needs a little more work and the right people around him.

Pennington is the perfect backup for the system we are going to. JP had a tough time breaking the huddle and getting plays off when there were only 12 in the playbook. The fast tempo, quick release game isn't JP's forte, and Pennington could be an asset on the sidelines as well ala Frank Reich for Kelly.

No way I want him here. He is a practice hero, game wussy. He's the guy that does everything/drill the coach says in practice perfectly, but still can't get it done in the game, because he's simply not good enough. That's how he ends up getting a chance to start every year for the last 3, even when every reasonable person knows that he's not going to win the game for you. I don't want that influence anywhere near Trent.

I'd take him as a back up if I was a little more confident in Trent's ability to stay healthy, and if he can make it through this year I'll be convinced of that. It really is a shame about JP. If he had a better attitude about it he'd make a great back up. I can't blame him though, I still think he has the ability to be a starter in the NFL, he just needs a little more work and the right people around him.

I agree, I think Pennington would be the perfect backup to Edwards.

I thought about this last night when I heard that Farve was traded. Maybe we could trade Losman and bring in Pennington. We would get an accomplished backup, and get some value for Losman. However, I have very little confidence in Pennington coming in on a cold, rainy day and producing. He has small hands and a weak arm. The weak arm doesn't concern me as much, he places the ball really well, but the small hands in the "cold rain and snow" does.

Should the Jets let Pennington go with Favre in the fold, would you consider him as a backup/mentor to Trent Edwards, especially after JP moves on? He had some very good seasons, and plays a similar style.

I say no.... the last thing we need is someone like Pennington on our roster, there isn't a logical reason to have him

I say no.... the last thing we need is someone like Pennington on our roster, there isn't a logical reason to have him

Remember the throw Edwards made to Reed in Washington? Into three defenders perfectly placed about 20-30 yards down field. Pennington can do the same thing 10 yards down field. We could run the miniature version of the offense. It will be so cute, all the pink hat pats fans will think its absolutely adorable.

Pennington is getting cut, I really don't see how they can keep him. I was just talking about it earlier today with some co-workers and I would love to bring him in for a look. While I don't like his arm strength, I think the Bills really need a veteran QB on the sidelines.

Pennington is getting cut, I really don't see how they can keep him. I was just talking about it earlier today with some co-workers and I would love to bring him in for a look. While I don't like his arm strength, I think the Bills really need a veteran QB on the sidelines.

The Bills have Losman. Say what you want about him, but he knows the offense, and is in a contract year. If he gets his chance he has a lot of money, and more importantly a possible shot at a starting job next year on the line. He should be fine. Of course I thought the same thing before the Jax game last year :angry:.

The Bills have Losman. Say what you want about him, but he knows the offense, and is in a contract year. If he gets his chance he has a lot of money, and more importantly a possible shot at a starting job next year on the line. He should be fine. Of course I thought the same thing before the Jax game last year :angry:.

If a QB goes down in a pre-season game around the league, I think JP would be prime trade bait. But the only way they have that luxury would be if they had a reliable backup. I think Pennington would give them that luxury. Of course it's all speculation, like the Bills/Parker talks. But I like the scenario, even if we only got a 4th round pick for him...

Bringing in Pennington and shipping JP would be an excellent idea. Pennington does play very well sometimes (not often, but sometimes) and it is usually due to his brain. He has never dazzled anyone based on his physical attributes or skills. He would be a perfect person to mentor Edwards and to help teach him the game. JP is not the mentor - his work ethic is horrible (based on the stuff I have read on here - sorry, no link). And JP is a constant reminder to him that he may be riding the pine soon (which is not exactly a bed thing, but we should totally commit to a QB). This is not a nourishing environment and face it, Edwards is young and he needs guidence. Pennington could give him this and not be a constant threat.