Anybody from / live in the Seattle area?

Simon

The Boss and I are heading out for a 10 day stretch this Thursday and I'd be interested to hear some ideas from folks familiar with the area.

Stuff like good hikes in Olympic, Rainier, and St. Helens.

Fun stuff to do on Puget Sound.

Good places to eat and drink.

Unique and/or quirky places to walk around or shop.

fwiw, I'm not into coffee, microbrews, crowds or guided tours.

I do like hiking/climbing, kayaking, whiskey, scenery, weird and interesting places.

Any suggestions?

Best place to expense a meal is the Wild Ginger. One of the best restaurants that I've been to in awhile. Its great if you have a group of people or if its just a few. I was out there last year and we hit this place up twice. http://www.wildginger.net/ . When we went, it was a time of year (June) when you could get real line-caught salmon from the Copper River and some others that was never frozen. I never really thought that one piece of salmon could be alot better than another, but this was amazing. This is within walking distance from the center of the city and the water.

It's a great trip to make. The one regret that I have is that I didn't really have a chance to climb Rainier. It looked awesome, but I was there on business so I didn't have the time.

I don't know how long it would take you to get there (might need a car+ferry), but Port Townsend is a pretty cool town. It fits the "Unique and/or quirky places to walk around or shop." Also, if you are really able to take a longer trip, check out Victoria, BC. I think there is a ferry from Seattle to Victoria, but its probably a long ride.

I haven't been to Seattle itself, so I can't help too much, but those were the two cities that we liked when we were in the area.

a simple Google search provided me with something that is most certainly up your alley....The Seattlle Fairie Festival is scheduled Aug 16 in Volunteer Park...Enjoy! thumbsup.gif

Hey!! I did a Google search for Seatlle too!! tongue.gif

Who said that?!

You sonsabitches get over here where's I can see ya' :unsure:

I went for a week a LONG TIME AGO, but I did a few things that were pretty cool:

(1) Space Needle. Not as cool as the CN tower, but I had lots of time to kill.

(2) Walked around the UW campus. Very nice architecture.

(3) Saw the Pike's Place Market (where they throw the fish). Meh.

(4) Played Whirley Ball.

(5) Hit Mount St. Helens. Worth the trip even though I was against it.

(6) Rode the Bainbridge Island Ferry. Here's a live cam site. Had my first Starbucks coffee on it (it was 1994).

(7) Drank lots and lots of beer. I especially liked something called Hale's Pale Ale.

The Pioneer Square area was the happening place at night, but that might have changed. Keep in mind that I was 24 at the time, while you're an old Fairie.

Have fun!

Edit: Fairie? Really? That's what the term for the expulsion of intestinal gas converts to? Really? Wow!

Downtown Seattle is just a damn decent place to wander and spend an afternoon. Taking a car ferry to one of the many islands, like from around Edmunds 30 minutes north of the city is a nice day with the wife, too. Rainier is simply awesome, that is kind of a must. If you like bombing around college towns, the neighborhoods around U-Dub are a pretty cool place, too. And the capitol district. There are all kinds of places to hike around the city, it just depends on what you want.

Dude,

If you seriously are into climbing (read mountaineering) then check out Rainier! Awesome mountain. Hike up to Camp Muir just stay on the Muir snowfield so you don't need to rope up. Make sure you have the necessary equipment though, many have died getting lost and wandering onto the glaciers. But, if the weather is good, the hike is awesome and the views from Camp Muir are incredible.

It's what I would do in a second if I was going to Seattle.

Or better yet, carve 3 days out of your trip and climb the damn thing. The gravy route is the Dissapointment Cleaver but it isn't necessarily dissapointing. If your in decent shape it isn't that difficult. You MUST rope up and should have a decent amount of glacier travel experience.

Have fun!

Experience Music Project

This is located right next door to the Space Needle. It's a pretty funky looking building on the outside and supposedly it's supposed to look like a smashed up guitar when you look at it from the top of the Space Needle. So I've been told. I didn't get a chance to see for myself or get time to look around inside much but it's supposed to be really cool.

BTW, the weather is beautiful right now so enjoy! :cry:

The Boss and I are heading out for a 10 day stretch this Thursday and I'd be interested to hear some ideas from folks familiar with the area.

Stuff like good hikes in Olympic, Rainier, and St. Helens.

Fun stuff to do on Puget Sound.

Good places to eat and drink.

Unique and/or quirky places to walk around or shop.

fwiw, I'm not into coffee, microbrews, crowds or guided tours.

I do like hiking/climbing, kayaking, whiskey, scenery, weird and interesting places.

Any suggestions?

If you're in the Army, Ft.Lewis has it all, except maybe the kayaking. :cry:

- Seattle Center (EMP, Sci-Fi museum, Space Needle) are decent.

- Pike Place if you want to do shopping.

- The Mariners are terrible this year, but visiting Safeco Field is an experience in and of itself.

- Boeing tour is up in Everett.

- St. Helens is about 150 miles away. Rainier is closer, and if you plan on driving, is a more scenic drive if you follow the SR-410 route.

- Satruday or Sunday brunch at Salty's in West Seattle is an absolute must.

- I would highly recommend Hurricane Ridge out in the Olympics. It's out by Port Angeles, and is a day trip, but the scenery is awesome.

And if you're really into hiking/climbing, try your luck by climbing Mt. Si or Mailbox Peak.