Mike Williams cut by.................

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/wcStory?con...8#story=8399698

No, not that Mike Williams, the Overweight, out of shape, motivational problem former Detroit Lions WR

Now just because you know someone will ask, "Do you think he could be converted into a TE?"

He came to the Titans weighing 270lbs, and lost 30lbs over the offseason, trying to get his career back on track, but it wasn't enough

No, not that Mike Williams, the Overweight, out of shape, motivational problem former Detroit Lions WR

Now just because you know someone will ask, "Do you think he could be converted into a TE?"

He came to the Titans weighing 270lbs, and lost 30lbs over the offseason, trying to get his career back on track, but it wasn't enough

OOH OOH Sign him! Sign him now! The front office is stupid if they don't sign him and it's just more proof they don't care if this team wins or not!!

To paraphrase Clapton, If it wasn't for bad luck, Detroit would have no luck at all!

Their drafting gaffes stopped being funny a couple years ago..

Nah, for me Detroit's drafting gaffes are still funny!! :thumbsup:

Another "I'll challenge the NFL's draft age rule and show them I can play in this league" youngster who fell on his face in the pros. All he and Clarrett have done is given the NFL more ammo to support their minimum draft age rule.

Another "I'll challenge the NFL's draft age rule and show them I can play in this league" youngster who fell on his face in the pros. All he and Clarrett have done is given the NFL more ammo to support their minimum draft age rule.

I don't disagree with that. But the NCAA forcing them to sit out the following fall (after the NFL ruled against them in spring) was typical NCAA hardline garbage.

That sick one-handed catch Williams made in the back of the Coliseum end zone seems like it was about 20 years ago.

OOH OOH Sign him! Sign him now! The front office is stupid if they don't sign him and it's just more proof they don't care if this team wins or not!!

Nah, for me Detroit's drafting gaffes are still funny!! :thumbsup:

I know, they throw this money around to sign guys like Schoebel and Butler, and Williams but won't even call Williams and offer him whatever he wants?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Obviously the Front Office has all the sheep convinced that he isn't a player the Bills need

270 lbs??? He'd have a better shot at tight end!

I'm semi-serious -- I wonder what kind of speed he had at 270. Obviously he wouldn't be able to block, but more in the mold of a (bigger) Shannon Sharpe.

I don't disagree with that. But the NCAA forcing them to sit out the following fall (after the NFL ruled against them in spring) was typical NCAA hardline garbage.

That sick one-handed catch Williams made in the back of the Coliseum end zone seems like it was about 20 years ago.

The NCAA is another group of flaming jackasses who seem to make decisions by spinning a "wheel of outcomes." No consistency in their arbitrary decisions.

Didn't he struggle with the Bucs too :thumbsup:

I thought it was the Jags... :bag:

Actually, the blame is on both the NFL and the NCAA. When Mike Williams declared for the draft, technically at that point in time, he was allowed to. The Maurice Clarett decision allowed sophmores to declare for the draft, and williams did. The NFL then reversed its decision, and Williams got screwed over when technically, he should have been "grandfathered in."

Then, the NCAA could have done the right thing and allowed him to go back to school, but we all know that the NCAA doesnt really give a sh-- about the student-athletes. There's not a single more corrupt, low-moral, scumbag organization than the NCAA, whose sole goal is to exploit the "student-athlete" for their own gain.

Actually, the blame is on both the NFL and the NCAA. When Mike Williams declared for the draft, technically at that point in time, he was allowed to. The Maurice Clarett decision allowed sophmores to declare for the draft, and williams did. The NFL then reversed its decision, and Williams got screwed over when technically, he should have been "grandfathered in."

Then, the NCAA could have done the right thing and allowed him to go back to school, but we all know that the NCAA doesnt really give a sh-- about the student-athletes. There's not a single more corrupt, low-moral, scumbag organization than the NCAA, whose sole goal is to exploit the "student-athlete" for their own gain.

Oh, please. The guy signed with an agent. He knew exactly what those consequences were when he signed, which he wasn't forced to do and didn't have to do. And when he did it, he terminated his status as an amateur. End of story.

To paraphrase Clapton, If it wasn't for bad luck, Detroit would have no luck at all!

Their drafting gaffes stopped being funny a couple years ago..

Southern Man's Theme Time Internet Hour

Correction...

"Born under a Bad Sign"

Not Clapton...originally recorded by Albert King.

Co-Written by Booker T, of MGs fame (Green Onions)

Clapton is a great interpreter of Chicago, Missisippi, and Memphis blues, but after you become familiar with the work of all the originals - Robert Johnson, Albert Lee, Albert King, BB King, Freddie King, Buddy Guy, The Wolf, Hubert Sumlin, Muddy, etc.,... you quickly realize that there was little originality in much of Clapton's work. Clapton had technical advantages with better instruments, sustain, and amplification that helped modify the texture and sound, but the notes and the feel are all from his American blues idols. I don't think he'd deny it.

Clapton's a smooth player, an underrated vocalist, and decent songwriter, but most of his licks are secondhand.

Give credit where it's due - William Bell came up with the lyrics for Born Under a Bad Sign, including the classic "no luck at all" line, though it's probably an old saying used long before the song was penned.

BTW - I saw Clapton and Winwood at the Garden in NYC last February. 10th Row Center Section. He's like a fine wine getting better with age.

Hmm...

Yeah that about nails it. :thumbsup:

I watched a lot of Mike Williams in college and I can't think of a prospect I was more sure would be a stud who sucked as bad as he did in the league. The next closest player was Charles Rogers...but his injuries played a big part there. Amazingly, the Lions drafted both of them.

I don't disagree about the NCAA (as I posted above) but Williams and Clarett's failures essentially reinforced made the NFL's argument - that younger players should be excluded from the draft and NFL because they aren't physically, mentally or emotionally mature enough to handle the responsibilities and demands of the pro game.

I don't see where the NFL gets "blame" in this. They didn't want either player in the draft, and IIRC only let them in after a judge ruled they couldn't bar him from the draft, but that decision was reversed on appeal.

I don't disagree about the NCAA (as I posted above) but Williams and Clarett's failures essentially reinforced made the NFL's argument - that younger players should be excluded from the draft and NFL because they aren't physically, mentally or emotionally mature enough to handle the responsibilities and demands of the pro game.

I don't see where the NFL gets "blame" in this. They didn't want either player in the draft, and IIRC only let them in after a judge ruled they couldn't bar him from the draft, but that decision was reversed on appeal.

I don't necessarily disagree, but one could argue that since Williams declared during a time that he was *technically* eligible, the NFL could/should have let him stay in the draft. The NCAA gave him the bigger screw job, but the NFL denied a player entry when that player did not do anything incorrectly.

And furthermore, you could argue that it was the year off from football that killed their careers. I know Clarett is a complete waste and Williams seems lazy, but the league is full of stupid, crazy and lazy players who can get by on extreme talent (which both of those guys had). I think a full year away from the sport at such a critical learning time could have been the death blow. But then again it could very well have been that both these guys would have washed out anyway.

I guess we'll never know...