Andre Reed vs. John Lynch

I just read an ESPN article about John Lynch leaving Denver's camp because he is unhappy with his role, and the article began with this introduction:

"The likely Pro Football Hall of Famer..."

Is it really conventional wisdom/popular opinion that John Lynch is Canton bound? I've watched almost all of his career and I've always thought he was a great player, but I didn't realize people considered him Hall of Fame material. He's got a ring and was part of a historic defense and has racked up the pro bowls (although I believe he coasted into "big name popularity" territory for his last few). I just never saw him as among the greatest to ever play his position.

It boils my blood enough that Michael Irvin was a hands-down, lock of the year, 1st ballot shoo-in and Andre is repeatedly doubted, but I think I'd really be at a loss if John Lynch had a bust made and Reed did not.

Am I crazy here?

I'd say Lynch has been one of the most dominating and feared safeties of this era. He won a ring in Tampa, which always helps. The main thing is the fear that he put into the WR's that would be coming across the middle. I remember alot of WR's developing "aligator arms" after taking a shot or two from Lynch. I say he'll make it. Maybe not first ballot, but he'll get in.

Just speaking truthfully, Lynch being an accessible, charitable, handsome, charismatic white boy WITHOUT A DOUBT helps his chances. Of course he has talent, otherwise this wouldn't even be a discussion. But I think his game alone would leave him on the outer fringe of getting in. Combine his game with his highlight reel hits, successful teams, and the media love, and he gets bumped into the "likely Hall of Famer" bunch.

I just read an ESPN article about John Lynch leaving Denver's camp because he is unhappy with his role, and the article began with this introduction:

"The likely Pro Football Hall of Famer..."

Is it really conventional wisdom/popular opinion that John Lynch is Canton bound? I've watched almost all of his career and I've always thought he was a great player, but I didn't realize people considered him Hall of Fame material. He's got a ring and was part of a historic defense and has racked up the pro bowls (although I believe he coasted into "big name popularity" territory for his last few). I just never saw him as among the greatest to ever play his position.

It boils my blood enough that Michael Irvin was a hands-down, lock of the year, 1st ballot shoo-in and Andre is repeatedly doubted, but I think I'd really be at a loss if John Lynch had a bust made and Reed did not.

Am I crazy here?

If he makes it, it's because Tampa won that 1 Super Bowl. They caught a break and got to play an opponent that was very beatable(an over-the-hill Oakland team) in the Super Bowl, and they converted. Those Bucs were one of the lesser Super Bowl winning teams ever, IMO. By contrast, the Bills got one GOLDEN opportunity in the Super Bowl also, the mismatch against the Giants, and they did not convert.

They caught a break and got to play an opponent that was very beatable(an over-the-hill Oakland team) in the Super Bowl, and they converted.

That Tampa defense was very good, and the football IQ and physical play of Lynch and Brooks had a lot to do with that. Going into Philly and winning in the cold for the first time was a big accomplishment.

But basically you're right, it was Tony Dungy's team, along with John Gruden's knowledge of Oakland's playbook and personell, turning in one dominating performance on one night.

Would it interest you to know that there are only nine safeties enshrined in the Hall of Fame (including Mel Renfro and Ronnie Lott, who both played several seasons at CB), and that Lott is the only one of those nine whose career ended after 1980? I happen to think Lynch has a decent chance ... but if he's "likely," then LeRoy Butler and Steve Atwater should be right there with him and Cliff Harris should already be in.

P.S.: Irvin didn't get in until his second year of eligibility.

Edit: Third. That's what I get for assuming I know something and not bothering to look it up ...

Would it interest you to know that there are only nine safeties enshrined in the Hall of Fame (including Mel Renfro and Ronnie Lott, who both played several seasons at CB), and that Lott is the only one of those nine whose career ended after 1980? I happen to think Lynch has a decent chance ... but if he's "likely," then LeRoy Butler and Steve Atwater should be right there with him and Cliff Harris should already be in.

P.S.: Irvin didn't get in until his second year of eligibility.

I thought that Atwater was in already?

I thought that Atwater was in already?

Not even close -- never a finalist, in fact. Same goes for Smith, his running mate in the Denver defensive backfield.

IIRC Irvin made it on his 3rd ballot

Just speaking truthfully, Lynch being an accessible, charitable, handsome, charismatic white boy WITHOUT A DOUBT helps his chances. Of course he has talent, otherwise this wouldn't even be a discussion. But I think his game alone would leave him on the outer fringe of getting in. Combine his game with his highlight reel hits, successful teams, and the media love, and he gets bumped into the "likely Hall of Famer" bunch.

Plus he will do TV the next five years to keep himself in the spotlight and enhance his chances. People like Chris Carter have/are doing that to have a good chance. I wish Andre Reed had done the same. That also gets him to be closer to the HoF voters and get some of those NAY guys to move to YAYs.

Second. Wait. By golly, you're right. My bad ...

Oops! I might have been a little overzealous...I thought he was 1st. My point was that it was never a question with Irvin. He was considered a lock from the start...something Reed has undeservedly been denied IMO.

Lori brings up a good point - I didn't realize how much of a disparity there was between the NFL positions in getting to the HOF (really, only 6 safeties?).

Something that might be helpful in determining whether Lynch should make it is comparing him statistically to Atwater.

Steve Atwater:

Years Pro: 11

Pro Bowls: 8

Super Bowl appearances: 3

Super Bowl rings: 2

Tackles: 1180

Interceptions: 24

Forced Fumbles/Fumble Recoveries: 14

Sacks: 5

John Lynch:

Years Pro: 16

Pro Bowls: 9

Tackles: 1062

Interceptions: 26

Forced Fumbles/Fumble Recoveries: 25

Super Bowl Rings: 1

Sacks: 13

Seems like both players are very close to each other statistically. I'm not sure you could say that one should be in without the other, so if Atwater isn't in yet, I have a hard time seeing that Lynch should be in.

As far as Reed goes, I think its clear he belongs in the hall if Irvin is in there - Reed was the better player imo. I find iti nteresting though that Andre's site says "Future Hall of Fame" in the titlebar - gotta think the HOF voters won't like that.

Lori brings up a good point - I didn't realize how much of a disparity there was between the NFL positions in getting to the HOF (really, only 6 safeties?).

Something that might be helpful in determining whether Lynch should make it is comparing him statistically to Atwater.

Steve Atwater:

Years Pro: 11

Pro Bowls: 8

Super Bowl appearances: 3

Super Bowl rings: 2

Tackles: 1180

Interceptions: 24

Forced Fumbles/Fumble Recoveries: 14

Sacks: 5

John Lynch:

Years Pro: 16

Pro Bowls: 9

Tackles: 1062

Interceptions: 26

Forced Fumbles/Fumble Recoveries: 25

Super Bowl Rings: 1

Sacks: 13

Seems like both players are very close to each other statistically. I'm not sure you could say that one should be in without the other, so if Atwater isn't in yet, I have a hard time seeing that Lynch should be in.

As far as Reed goes, I think its clear he belongs in the hall if Irvin is in there - Reed was the better player imo. I find iti nteresting though that Andre's site says "Future Hall of Fame" in the titlebar - gotta think the HOF voters won't like that.

Good research :thumbsup: