GM for a day...

john

I'm trying to dull the pain of a long and boring day at the office and this random thought popped in my head. Which WR is better, pound for pound: Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, or Lee Evans. Let's put them all on an even playing field. Say for instance, they all played in Marvin Harrison's roll with the Colts over the last 5 seasons. Which one would put up the better numbers? If you were the Colts, which player would you draft? Do you go for the big physical receiver with play maker written all over him? Do you side with the speedy receiver with the jets to burn cb's consistently for long bombs? Or maybe you go with the steadiest receiver with the best hands in the bunch....

I know this is probably a lame post but again, it just popped in my head and I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

It's lame. Go with the HOF. Moulds will not sniff the HOF. Evans either.

Sure. That's certainly the easy answer here. BUT, what kind of numbers would Reed have put up if he played his entire career with the likes of Flutie, Todd Collins, and Rob Johnson throwing him the ball? Playing with a HOF QB his entire career certainly helped him look much better then Moulds and Evans who have never had a steady signal caller.

I'm trying to dull the pain of a long and boring day at the office and this random thought popped in my head. Which WR is better, pound for pound: Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, or Lee Evans. Let's put them all on an even playing field. Say for instance, they all played in Marvin Harrison's roll with the Colts over the last 5 seasons. Which one would put up the better numbers? If you were the Colts, which player would you draft? Do you go for the big physical receiver with play maker written all over him? Do you side with the speedy receiver with the jets to burn cb's consistently for long bombs? Or maybe you go with the steadiest receiver with the best hands in the bunch....

I know this is probably a lame post but again, it just popped in my head and I thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

Reed was great and a HOF player. Moulds was great but played with a bunch of lousy qb's after #12 retired. If Moulds played with Kelly his whole career like Reed did, I expect he'd be a HOF player too. I'd take Moulds over Evans any day of the week and Lee is a terrific player in his own right. :rolleyes:

Sure. That's certainly the easy answer here. BUT, what kind of numbers would Reed have put up if he played his entire career with the likes of Flutie, Todd Collins, and Rob Johnson throwing him the ball? Playing with a HOF QB his entire career certainly helped him look much better then Moulds and Evans who have never had a steady signal caller.

That's one angle and there's some truth in that. The other is that on those crappy teams, Moulds got thrown to a lot (the same reason Jake Plummer has 30,000 yards passing). Moulds was a good player--don't get me wrong--but he didn't have Reed's soft hands or route-running ability.

It's lame. Go with the HOF. Moulds will not sniff the HOF. Evans either.

Reed is an all-time WR...Moulds was perhaps the most overrated WR in NFL history for what he actually was...Evans has yet to be put in a category with Reed...

Reed is an all-time WR...Moulds was perhaps the most overrated WR in NFL history for what he actually was...Evans has yet to be put in a category with Reed...

Right, 100% correct. But, if they all played under the same exact conditions, would Reed have still been the best of the bunch? Thats all I'm asking.

Reed, Moulds, and then Evans for now. Evans is young and still has atleast another 6 years barring serious injury. In that time, he could very well surpass Moulds on this list. Will he ever be as good as Reed was? I seriously doubt it. Reed's skill, combined with his attitude, is what made him into the player he was. He wasn't writing books about "Just Throw Me the Damn Ball" and he wasn't walking around referring to himself in the 3rd person. He let his actions on the field, not his agent, speak for him.

Moulds was perhaps the most overrated WR in NFL history for what he actually was.

What does this mean? Pretty strong statement. The guy was lights out playing with garbage tossing him the ball for his whole career. The guy holds several team records and his '98 campaign just might be the best ever by a Bills WR. I would have loved to see him lined up in the slot during the K-Gun years.

I'd give Andre the nod of course, but having a Hall of Fame QB in a revolutionary offense can never be compared to the incompetence Moulds was surrounded by at all levels throughout almost his entire tenure.

Evans is a distant 3rd.

Of course the QB plays a role in a wideouts success...but I would say only to a point. T.O. was great in S.F. with slightly-above average QB's, including Jeff Garcia. Tim Brown had a great career in Oakland with a litany of average QB's. Moulds was good with average and below average QB's...but better than Reed? I mean, Reed had great games when Frank Reich was throwing him the ball as well, and while I bow at the alter of Reich like eveyone else, he was an average QB who managed games well.

Just a school of thought. Interesting topic, but I vote Reed. It's too early to form a long-term opinion on Evans. His rookie year compares to Peerless Price's good season, and we know how he ended up. So, does Evans become a Reed or a Price? I hope he'll be closer to a Reed, and I think this is the season we find that out.

What does this mean? Pretty strong statement. The guy was lights out playing with garbage tossing him the ball for his whole career. The guy holds several team records and his '98 campaign just might be the best ever by a Bills WR. I would have loved to see him lined up in the slot during the K-Gun years.

I'd give Andre the nod of course, but having a Hall of Fame QB in a revolutionary offense can never be compared to the incompetence Moulds was surrounded by at all levels throughout almost his entire tenure.

Evans is a distant 3rd.

Too soon to evaluate Evans. He's only had good quarterbacking for 1 season and a few games.

Believe it or not, I have had a similar conversation with EM's Godfather - of all people. He lives out here in California and the whole thing started when he spotted me wearing my #80 to work one day. It was EM's biggest issue with the Bills - lack of consistency at QB.