Trent's Durability?

I believe there were comments from Edwards himself that he felt "worn down" by season's end because he had not done a good job of keeping his weight up. Thus, he dedicated this offseason to bulking up a bit in an effort to increase strength and stamina.

This is why I think the JP/Trent presason 08 debate is moot. At this time last year he was preparing for four months of gripping a clip board. Make no mistake, said preparation was both mental AND physical. Now he'll have had 8 months to visualize and get his mindset together.

If someone told you Saturday night at 1am you had to be at work Sunday at 8, you'd probably have a pretty rocky morning.

To try and make a prediction on his performance this year based on last year is incredibly problematic to me.

This is why I think the JP/Trent presason 08 debate is moot. At this time last year he was preparing for four months of gripping a clip board. Make no mistake, said preparation was both mental AND physical. Now he'll have had 8 months to visualize and get his mindset together.

If someone told you Saturday night at 1am you had to be at work Sunday at 8, you'd probably have a pretty rocky morning.

To try and make a prediction on his performance this year based on last year is incredibly problematic to me.

Great point. The one thing that transfers, though, is Edwards' apparent "headiness."

[quote name='The Big Cat' date='Jul 21 2008, 12:55 PM'

I say this because in staying with what I believe to be true about his Stanford team: his injuires, their lack of success, etc. could have all been attributed to being a lousy team. Period.

I can say the same of JP & the Bills. The Bills up to this point have been a lousy team. Period.

[quote name='The Big Cat' date='Jul 21 2008, 12:55 PM'

I say this because in staying with what I believe to be true about his Stanford team: his injuires, their lack of success, etc. could have all been attributed to being a lousy team. Period.

I can say the same of JP & the Bills. The Bills up to this point have been a lousy team. Period.

I love you always glance over the fact Losman inherited a 9-7 football that was one of the hottest in the NFL in his first year. Those silly facts. :blink:

Not that everyone has the same history, but isn't everyone equally suceptibel to injury in this game?

No, not even close. London Fletcher is involved in about 200 tackles every year and the guy never gets injured. Some bodies are built to take the punishment, some aren't. There are definite reasons to worry about Trent. Soft tissue, joint and head injuries are what separate the durable from the prone. Edwards had a lot of those issues in college.

I think Losman is more athletic and capable of taking punishment, but he takes much more punishment because of his indecisiveness and willingness to run. I too think Edwards will get hurt and Losman will get some starts.

My rationale is not just Trent's history in college, but what also what I saw in that second Jets game. The only team to play Edwards twice was the Jets. In the second game, they took away the short passes he had picked them apart with earlier in the season. They pressured him from all directions. They roughed him up and he was ineffective and injured. That is what he can expect to see this year from EVERYBODY now that there is some tape on him.

Unless an unpolished rookie receiver(Hardy) steps up or a TE of any worth develops from the unproven and unheralded bunch they are bringing to camp, this is the same bunch of mediocre receivers they had last year. IMO, they really screwed the pooch not getting Edwards a good tight end for him to throw to. His best throws are down the middle, and without safeties having to respect centerfield they can cheat toward the sidelines to take away vertical receivers like Evans and Hardy. I don't think most fans realize just how important it is that Schouman or Fine turns into a Chris Cooley clone, or that Edwards shows improved enough arm strength to throw the deep out, take advantage of vacant sidelines and keep defenses honest. People think I'm down on Edwards, but I'm not. The Bills just continue to show a maddening tendency to not put their QB's in position to succeed.

No, not even close. London Fletcher is involved in about 200 tackles every year and the guy never gets injured. Some bodies are built to take the punishment, some aren't. There are definite reasons to worry about Trent. Soft tissue, joint and head injuries are what separate the durable from the prone. Edwards had a lot of those issues in college.

I think Losman is more athletic and capable of taking punishment, but he takes much more punishment because of his indecisiveness and willingness to run. I too think Edwards will get hurt and Losman will get some starts.

My rationale is not just Trent's history in college, but what also what I saw in that second Jets game. The only team to play Edwards twice was the Jets. In the second game, they took away the short passes he had picked them apart with earlier in the season. They pressured him from all directions. They roughed him up and he was ineffective and injured. That is what he can expect to see this year from EVERYBODY now that there is some tape on him.

Unless an unpolished rookie receiver(Hardy) steps up or a TE of any worth develops from the unproven and unheralded bunch they are bringing to camp, this is the same bunch of mediocre receivers they had last year. IMO, they really screwed the pooch not getting Edwards a good tight end for him to throw to. His best throws are down the middle, and without safeties having to respect centerfield they can cheat toward the sidelines to take away vertical receivers like Evans and Hardy. I don't think most fans realize just how important it is that Schouman or Fine turns into a Chris Cooley clone, or that Edwards shows improved enough arm strength to throw the deep out, take advantage of vacant sidelines and keep defenses honest. People think I'm down on Edwards, but I'm not. The Bills just continue to show a maddening tendency to not put their QB's in position to succeed.

Disagree to an extent -- everyone is injury prone, and even the more injury prone (and let's assume for a second that Edwards is one of those) are pretty much destined to have a 2-3 full seasons (at least) without injury if they hang around long enough. Whether that's this year for Edwards is anyone's guess, but assuming he doesn't completely flame out, expect a couple (at least) of sixteen game seasons. Heck, Chad Pennington managed it.

I love you always glance over the fact Losman inherited a 9-7 football that was one of the hottest in the NFL in his first year. Those silly facts. :blink:

Here is something for you to think about, apparently you didn't know.......... <_< Teams change from year to year as does their schedule ..... & with the Bills, their coaching staff & offensive & defensive philosophy as well.

Disagree to an extent -- everyone is injury prone, and even the more injury prone (and let's assume for a second that Edwards is one of those) are pretty much destined to have a 2-3 full seasons (at least) without injury if they hang around long enough. Whether that's this year for Edwards is anyone's guess, but assuming he doesn't completely flame out, expect a couple (at least) of sixteen game seasons. Heck, Chad Pennington managed it.

Everyone is not injury prone. Everyone can be injured, but to be prone you have to be inclined to being hurt, which would mean having been hurt often. Guys like Favre, Manning, Brady, Fletcher, Clements........those guys don't miss snaps to injury. It's not luck or an accident. Some guys just have a combination of physical and mental skills that keeps them off the shelf. Others, like Rob Johnson, do not. Chad Pennington is injury prone NOW, but to my knowledge, he was not hurt a lot prior to damaging the shoulder. Takeo Spikes never missed a game prior to his achilles. Catastrophic injuries happen. What is of concern with Edwards is the variety of ailments, and at such a young age.

I am not entirely sold on Trent as is, although I would say he deserves to be the starter at this point; it is unquestionably his job to lose.

For starters, I am concerned with Trent's history as a "winner." He was 10-20 as a starter during his college career. He also threw nearly as many INTs as TDs, making me wonder why so many have branded him such a smart and savvy protector of the ball. I do however like his seemingly level-headedness and he clearly has good size and nice touch on most of his intermediate throws; I think he coulddevelop into a very nice player when surrounded by quality pieces.

My most pressing concern however, is his durability and toughness. T

So let me get this straight, your biggest concern is that a guy who you don't think is a winner or protects the ball will be on the field enough? Isn't this akin to the old joke where someone complains about the horrible food at a restraunt and his friend says, "and such small portions too"

It is extremely frustrating that the front office continues to flaunt its arrogance about being able to find diamonds on the OL and at TE from low round draft picks and free agent rejects.

They need to revamp their scouts on the offensive side of the ball. In conjunction with this, they severely overrate the talent level of their own players which prevents them from pursuing real talent.