Draft pick signings

But aren't the length of rookie contracts already determined. I believe the 1st round(it maybe the 2nd round too can sign 5yr deals & everything after that can sign maximum 4yr deals. I could be wrong though. I have read after the uncapped year you can not become an unrestricted free agent to after 6yrs of service.

I'm not up on all the details but I think having to wait 6 years to become UFA could affect the dollar amount agents are looking for. Don't know about the number of years rookies can sign for.

Doc Walker made an excellent point about why NFL teams seemingly wait until the 11th hour to sign their picks. They don't want these kids riding around with pockets full of new money for too long a period before the start of their first training camp. He spoke from the perspective of his and his peers' experience when they were rookies. Made perfect sense the way he explained it.

GO BILLS!!!

I doubt that thought has crossed any GM's mind.

Training camp is just the pressure point to get these deals done. It makes sense for teams and players to wait in order to use the start of camp as leverage.

But I think the whole thing is stupid. You know the prior year's draft slot salary; just bump it up X% every year.

Makes sense, but I'm not sure if I buy it completely. One of my good friends in college was a projected 1st-2nd round pick and he signed with an agent a few months before the draft. Based on his grading and draft projection, the agency loaned him a *substantial* amount of "start up" money (I'm not talking about a few grand to buy some clothes and a PS2). And this was before he was even drafted. Now that these guys have been drafted and slotted, their salaries are all but determined. I believe all of the guys in first few rounds (1st round at the least) have been walking around with quite a few benjamins to burn for some time now.

But perhaps the situation I described was atypical.

Excellent point. And I don't think it's as atypical as you may think. And Walker didn't mention the aspect of how many sports agengies do indeed loan their high pick prospects money. There's no doubt. I'd be interested to know the details of the loan to your friend; interest rate, etc. and whether or not it was structured as a lump some loan or more like a line of credit to draw from. I mean, they do have to pay these agents back, don't they?

GO BILLS!!!

The possibility of an uncapped year in 2010 is probably holding some things up a bit.
Why?
I think because if a new CBA is not signed, players have to wait 6 years to become an UFA. This could affect the length of contracts rookies will sign.

I was going to say the same thing. Check out this article on PFT.com: LINK

This portion is especially key: "Though the NFLPA advised agents representing first-round and second-round players to wait until the issue is resolved before signing contracts, Redskins receiver Malcolm Kelly inked a deal that includes a fourth-year salary that is guaranteed for injury only."

This year is different from every other year when it comes to signing draft picks. The looming uncapped year is making everyone wait even longer to get down to business.

Has anyone ever done any type of analysis to figure out just how long of a holdout starts to hurt the development of a player in his first season? The results are probably very obvious for guys on either extreme, the one or two day guys or players like JeMarcus Russell, but is there a certain time where it really starts to hurt players?