Libs not appreciating latest New Yorker cover

Ah, the old ask a question in response to a question. But, to answer your question anyway -

You're missing the key: context.

There is no satire here. McCain hasn't been accused of being a terrorist, nor of being un-American because he refuses to wear a pin.

Again, there is no satire here.

Guess you must hate the Colbert Report, with him using the Bald Eagle and all.

That bolded statement is exactly the point that the New Yorker is making, using a cartoon instead of words.

Ok, so now it's ok to accuse Obama as being a terrorist as long as it's considered by the few as satire? And really the point of not wearing the flag pin could have been easily illustrated as Obama looking for the pin in a frantic pace before going in stage. It's sad that you can defend that. I had more respect for you.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so now it's ok to accuse Obama as a terrorist?

Where did you get that from what I said?

The New Yorker isn't accusing Obama of anything, they are actually defending Obama in this cartoon. They are pointing out the ridiculousness of the right-wing (and Clinton) charactures of him by showing what it would look like if they were true.

The New Yorker is not:

- Saying Barack Obama is a terrorist

- Saying Michelle Obama is a terrorist

- Saying either of them burns flags

- Saying either of them supports bin Laden

- Saying either of them are disloyal Americans

I am not:

The New Yorker is not:

- Saying "terrorists are ok"

- Saying "Osama Bin Laden is ok"

- Saying "burning American flags is ok"

I am not:

And really the point of not wearing the flag pin could have been easily illustrated as Obama looking for the pin in a frantic pace before going in stage. It's sad that you can defend that. I had more respect for you.

Uh, no, it couldn't.

There were people questioning his loyalty to the country for the sole fact that he didn't support the American flag by wearing a flag pin, as if it was the ultimate disrespect to the American flag to not do so.

To show the absurdity of equating not wearing a flag pin with accusing him of not supporting the flag, they drew him performing the ultimate disrespectful action to the flag, as if he would actually do that.

Obama franticly looking for a flag pin before he goes on stage doesn't make any comment at all about the absurdity of the accuisations.

And again..... sad. Almost negates any argument anyone here has ever had.

You ever actually watch South Park or are you just basing it on the logic that it's a cartoon so it's only natural that the neanderthals that disagree with you here would watch it, therefore it's not worth watching yourself?

The problem is that some people cannot tell the difference.

By the way, I think it's sorta funny.

I have yet to see hordes of people saying that the cartoon confirmed their worldview on Obama.

The people who would actually consider the cartoon validation of their feelings aren't likely to be well informed (and thus not much of a chance of knowing about it), nor would they vote for Obama in the first place.

The New Yorker is not:

I am not:

The New Yorker is not:

I am not:

I think we get your point

you agree with the New Yorker

this may attract a girl

but she'll likely be a porker

"Stuff White People Like" :lol:

Thousands of years from now Archaelogists will excavate a site in modern day North America and uncover the rusted shell of an SUV. As they peel back they layers of time they will learn much about the political structure of 21st century Americans

Obama '08

Nobody Died When Clinton Lied

Kerry/Edwards '04

No Blood For Oil

Gore/Lieberman 2000

You Can't Hug Nuclear Weapons

I had a half day refresher course today for a certification I have and the class was in Berkeley. I went geocaching the rest of teh day and got home a little while ago.

I saw a bunch of Obama stickers and carscovered with tons of very mean bumperstickers . The one that are plastered with all the bile are usually old faded Volvo station wagons. You don't see many Republican stickers in the area because the immature dims/libs go and key your car if you have one.

I had a half day refresher course today for a certification I have and the class was in Berkeley. I went geocaching the rest of teh day and got home a little while ago.

I saw a bunch of Obama stickers and carscovered with tons of very mean bumperstickers . The one that are plastered with all the bile are usually old faded Volvo station wagons. You don't see many Republican stickers in the area because the immature dims/libs go and key your car if you have one.

Wow, what a great story! Berkeley is liberal!!?? I never knew that!! Have any other brilliant observations so share?

11th Commandment: Do not criticize the Messiah!

Fortunately for the country, his term is almost up. Thankfully it is impossible for either McCain or Obama to do worse, although it will take a long time for the eight-year debacle to be cleaned up

You ever actually watch South Park or are you just basing it on the logic that it's a cartoon so it's only natural that the neanderthals that disagree with you here would watch it, therefore it's not worth watching yourself?

Yes, I have watched South Park before. Granted they do at times bring news events or popular people into the mix however to say that it has to be taken seriously in anyway... sad.

You have to be careful where you geo-cache these days. That's for sure.

Yes, I have watched South Park before. Granted they do at times bring news events or popular people into the mix however to say that it has to be taken seriously in anyway... sad.

Not quite as sad as people taking the New Yorker cover seriously :lol:

Oh, I don't know, perhaps because it's the best satire of America that's on television at this point?