KC Joyner Bills references

from recent 'chat':

Johnny(Queens): KC, What kind of numbers do you see the Bills Trent Edwards putting up this season?

KC Joyner: It will be a ton of short passes, so expect something like 3,000 yards, a 63-65% completion rate and a YPA in the low 7s. In other words, a dink and dunk year.

Thanks to Chris Brown for the heads up on the TE question!

Not really Bills related, but...

Mikey(Lackawanna,NY): You say you have a chapter in your new book coming out about some questions you have gotten about the Buffalo Bills? Is it questions from these chats?

KC Joyner: The book (Scientific Football 2008) is actually chock full of questions from the chats, or at least comments on comments from them. You guys give me a lot of good material, you know!

I actually disagree with KC

While I am sure that we will be doing short passing as well I expect TE to be working the middle of the field and sometimes the deep third this year?

Last year he was a rookie and went to his check downs too quickly at times......he has a year of experience and some wideouts that can get down the field......

I dont expect a arial show by any means......but I think we can expect for the "dink and dunk"

While I am sure that we will be doing short passing as well I expect TE to be working the middle of the field and sometimes the deep third this year?

Last year he was a rookie and went to his check downs too quickly at times......he has a year of experience and some wideouts that can get down the field......

I dont expect a arial show by any means......but I think we can expect for the "dink and dunk"

you mean we can expect more then the dink and dunk, right? I totally agree with you here. If we have another kelly holcomb on our hands I'll just shake my head and go grab a beer.

That's what I think as well. I think Joyner is a very good football writer, but sometimes he relies on the numbers too much. Trent had a better ypa than Brady, Manning (the good one), and Losman in their respective first years as starters. Obviously I'm not gonna compare TE to the first 2, but I don't see why he can't improve his ypa this year. Additonally our wrs besides Evans didn't scare anyone last year. If Hardy can contribute a decent amount this year, I defnitely see more big plays downfield when defenses begin cheating up.

I tend to put alot of weight on Joyner's views, and I don't mind this assesment too much, but I think we can look for Turk to try and have Trent stretch the field more than 7 yards per completion would suggest. I think somewhere between 8-9 is more realistic. If Fairchild was still in town, this might be right on, but I expect the deep pass to be put into our arsenal much more this year.

you mean we can expect more then the dink and dunk, right? I totally agree with you here. If we have another kelly holcomb on our hands I'll just shake my head and go grab a beer.

Yep. Heave it downfield. There has to be that element to keep opposition Ds loose. Take what they give you. Until TE hits some of these downfield strikes, Ds won't respect him. Our offense needs to dictate.

I tend to put alot of weight on Joyner's views, and I don't mind this assesment too much, but I think we can look for Turk to try and have Trent stretch the field more than 7 yards per completion would suggest. I think somewhere between 8-9 is more realistic. If Fairchild was still in town, this might be right on, but I expect the deep pass to be put into our arsenal much more this year.

Exactly....it's not like Fairchild is running the offense anymore.

That's what I think as well. I think Joyner is a very good football writer, but sometimes he relies on the numbers too much. Trent had a better ypa than Brady, Manning (the good one), and Losman in their respective first years as starters. Obviously I'm not gonna compare TE to the first 2, but I don't see why he can't improve his ypa this year. Additonally our wrs besides Evans didn't scare anyone last year. If Hardy can contribute a decent amount this year, I defnitely see more big plays downfield when defenses begin cheating up.

Instead of YPA (Yards/Attempt), try YPC (Yards/Completion). I don't know if it would change the results or not but it would it remove completion percentage from the equation. For example, I'm guessing Losman's YPA was pretty low his first year because if I remember correctly his completion percentage was around ~50%. Edwards' YPA benefits from his accuracy on the short passes.

Yep. Heave it downfield. There has to be that element to keep opposition Ds loose. Take what they give you. Until TE hits some of these downfield strikes, Ds won't respect him. Our offense needs to dictate.

The best time to try this would be on 3rd and short. Dink their azzes for a couple quarters, then when they're 8 in the box and playing Man on 3rd and short, play action and let 'er fly!

That sounds about right for Trent. If he just gets a few passes downfield in there to keep DBs honest, and limits interceptions, I'll be a happy guy.

Jauron loves fans like you who are VERY easy to please. :blink:

Sorry, but touchdown passes are the only thing that will make me lighten up and crack a smile. If this is the Bills' plan of attack in '08 then Dick should be looking for U-Haul deals come the end of December. For the 1,000,000th time, the dink and dunk, high percentage, play it safe game plan is NOT the way to go.

The best time to try this would be on 3rd and short. Dink their azzes for a couple quarters, then when they're 8 in the box and playing Man on 3rd and short, play action and let 'er fly!

Yep, don't be so friggin predictable. A great way to hit a home run every once in a while. Keep 'em guessin'.