Brett Favre a Bill?

Frez

I am not so sure BT.

I strongly doubt that Favre will wind up in Buffalo, but it would be "good for the league" if he left Green Bay. Could you even imagine the media frenzy if he signs with the Jests? The Falcons have problems, and he is a southern boy. He would revive that fanbase overnight. How about the Bears? Vikings? Chiefs?

I am going to take the unpopular stance here and take the back of my friend albany,ny. Unlike many, I think that Trent Edwards will shine next year. This by no means makes me right mind you; it is simply what I think. I for one would rather watch an exciting young prospect develop than watch an old man deteriorate.

Good Bill

What an impressive post!

I love the point you touched upon wrt "franchise saving." This football team will be a winning franchise the very second that we develop a good young qb, concentrate on both lines (instead of the secondary), and hire a coach with a clue.

Bad Bill. "Experts" such as they are, all agree that we have one of the best O lines in the league right now(Bills team record 26 sacks allowed, anyone?). It's also quite possible(we'll see) that we have one of the better D lines now as well. Um, 2 pro-bowler starters ain't bad. We'll see.

:lol:

Now that we got that out of the way, I am firmly riding the fence on this issue. I can see both arguments and I really can't decide right now which is better. Most of the pundits seem to think that we can get this done with JP and next year's 3rd or 4th. That's a good deal anyway you look at it, as already stated. The x factor is: What is the cost emotionally and experientially to Edwards if he is suddenly riding the pine in favor of Favre?

Here's the other thing I haven't see yet here: Injuries. Injuries are a problem for us, and were last year for Trent(I am knocking firmly on wood right now) Also, we know that Favre has had a few injuries, but by and large he is made of iron and there's no way that Edwards won't benefit from having him around.

That said, I agree with Good Bill, prior to this issue being raised, every fiber of my being was expecting Edwards to start, do better than Ok, and in fact turn some heads. All the evidence points to it: he is stronger, he wasn't physically prepared fully for an NFL season last year. The good news is: endurance and strength are things, unlike field info processing, that can be improved in a single off-season, and, at Trent's age, he is still growing. We have no idea where his body ends up and it's quite possible he picks up arm strength. The important thing is we know he can play at this level mentally, we don't know where he is physically yet. We generally know where JP and Favre are as QBs.

The biggest question for me is: do I want to see JP Losman on the field at any point during the regular season. My answer: no way in hell, because it resurrects the controversy from last season and that's the last thing we need. Therefore, what is the best way to keep that from happening? Trade JP for Farve. The downside is that we now inherit the Favre off-season soap opera, but somehow I think that will take care of itself one way or the other the minute Favre realizes he is in Buffalo, and in NY. We don't care about his antics(as Bledsoe found out the hard way), we care about his play on the field. Before he comes here his agent needs to tell him that this fan base will turn on him like a mother-in-law if tries to pull any nonsense and/or he doesn't produce.

It's an interesting choice and a difficult one. With everything I have said, trading for Favre still seems like an "impulse purchase" to me and that's why I am wary of it. What scares me most is if this whole thing goes down and Favre starts throwing 6 INTS a game. That won't help us at all, and it causes more damage than he's worth.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first football post in a while and I never thought it would be in a thread about Brett Favre.

I just saw a scroll on ESPN indicating Favre prefers a cold weather team to playing in Tamps. Scanning a list I come up with viable candidates as Baltimore, NY Jets, Cleveland, Denver, KC, Buffalo, and Washington.

I should point out that I would not be in favor of a move by the Bills. I may be one of the only people that likes Edwards and Losman. I do think they both have their issues though so I could see the Bills poking around in the Favre situation.

From Favre's perspective I think the best fit is the NYJ (because of the endorsment $ and QB situation). In the next tier I think he'd put the Bills and Denver (strong and loyal fan base, decent teams with questions at QB or at least what Favre perceives to be.) KC is similar but the team seems behind the 8 ball. I could see Baltimore or Washington but I doubt he'd want to walk into Cleveland because there is already a potential controversy.

As for the teams' view of Favre I'd rank Washington on top (Snyder more than willing to throw Campbell under the bus), NYJ, Baltimore, KC, Bills, Denver, Cleveland.

Combine scores and the Redskins and Jets top the list. Who know really though.

This is my first football post in a while and I never thought it would be in a thread about Brett Favre.

I just saw a scroll on ESPN indicating Favre prefers a cold weather team to playing in Tamps. Scanning a list I come up with viable candidates as Baltimore, NY Jets, Cleveland, Denver, KC, Buffalo, and Washington.

I should point out that I would not be in favor of a move by the Bills. I may be one of the only people that likes Edwards and Losman. I do think they both have their issues though so I could see the Bills poking around in the Favre situation.

From Favre's perspective I think the best fit is the NYJ (because of the endorsment $ and QB situation). In the next tier I think he'd put the Bills and Denver (strong and loyal fan base, decent teams with questions at QB or at least what Favre perceives to be.) KC is similar but the team seems behind the 8 ball. I could see Baltimore or Washington but I doubt he'd want to walk into Cleveland because there is already a potential controversy.

As for the teams' view of Favre I'd rank Washington on top (Snyder more than willing to throw Campbell under the bus), NYJ, Baltimore, KC, Bills, Denver, Cleveland.

Combine scores and the Redskins and Jets top the list. Who know really though.

From the sounds of it, Favre wants to go to a legit contender. That scratches KC off the list, and possibly Buffalo. I don't want to soudn negative (becasue I am pretty optimistic about this coming season), but our team still some pretty major question marks, and is stuck in the same division as the Patriots, and in a conference that is pretty top heavy. The Bills could conceivably win 9 or 10 games, and still not make the playoffs.

Cleveland just signed Derek Anderson, and has Brady Quin...are they going to spend what it would take to bring Favre in? I don't think so. Denver has, IMO, one of the best young QB's in the game, in Jay Cutler. Unless his recent diabites causes him problems, the Broncos appear set at the position. Besides, Shanahan would not any part of Brett Favre, I am quessing.

Baltimore would appear to be a decent fit, but they have already confirmed that they have no interest in Favre. That leaves the Redskins and the Jets.

As you say, Dan Snyder is foolish enough that he might throw Campbell under the bus. After all, Cambell was Gibbs guy. But, Campbell was begining to show some improvement, and could thrive in Zorns offense. Again, I wouldn't put it past Snyder to pursue Favre, and it may actually be a good move for them, but, I don't see Favre playing there....it has to be the JETS. Enormous marketing potetial, no real committment is currently made to any QB, and the team has some pieces that would appear to need something to glue them together. Lots of vets. From the Packs pov, the Jets won't be challanging them for a playoff spot...if Favre doesn't stay retired, or play for the Packers, it has to be the Jets!

I think the Bucs are the best fit for Favre this year. The biggest piece that they are missing is a top-notch QB, they could easily be back in the super bowl or win it with him.

Except, Favre said he is not interested in the Bucs, and would prefer to play for a cold weather team, if you blieve the rumours out there the last few days.

I really think the Packers will be reluctant to deal him within the conference, unless it is their only option...it would seem the Panthers would be a decent match too, but they are apparently not interested either. Of course, should he officially become available, a lot could change, I realize. I still think he ends up with the Jets, if anywhere else. The first name QB that franchise has had since Namath. New York (by way of Joisy), a team very much in need of a QB, some decent offensive talent, and a vetran team, all the elements are there. It will be a media circus, but Favre seems to like those. Then Gruden would be free to add Pennington to his stable of QB's! :devil: